PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism & periods

Helen1973
21-10-08, 22:49
I'm really hoping for some help.

Here's some backstory. A year ago I was diagnosed as having an over-active thyroid (which started all of my anxiety problems). I have since been on meds that have finally pushed me down to the other scale and I'm now going UNDER active.

The thing being that the symptoms of under-active are really feeding into my anxieties over other things. I'm still just getting over a spate of seriously high anxiety over a recent smear test (which came back normal, but you know what HA can do to the mind) and I'm terrified of becoming aenemic and experiencing weird periods--ie abnormal periods and being set back again.

I only had my period eighteen days ago and yet my breasts are tender and I feel heavy in the abdomen..things which I associate (obviously) with a period being due.:ohmy:

Here is my question. Does anyone here suffer from Hypothyroidism and if so have you ever had periods that came with such little time between?? IE is this normal!

I would really, really appreciate some reassurance on this!

NOTE: I've had the thyroid scan and there was nothing there to concern the consultant other than the existing issue of hyper/hypo and I'm still waiting for them to make the decision to either put me on 18 months of 'block and replace' or the radiation drink.

nickieb
22-10-08, 09:18
Hiya Helen

How are you? I personally dont have hypothyroidism mine has always been bordeline but i am aware that it can effect your periods.
The best advice i can give is see your GP again- but firstly wait to see if you actually have a period or not first or wether the symptoms you are infact getting are just related to your anxiety. xxx

Helen1973
22-10-08, 13:48
Hiya Helen

How are you? I personally dont have hypothyroidism mine has always been bordeline but i am aware that it can effect your periods.
The best advice i can give is see your GP again- but firstly wait to see if you actually have a period or not first or wether the symptoms you are infact getting are just related to your anxiety. xxx

Hi Nickie! I haven't come on yet. I'm just feeling like I will and it's way too early. You're right though I could just be feeling anxious and making myself feel this way, but the tenderness of my breasts is probably not so easily explained away and I've been like this since the weekend. I just hope it holds off for a week and then I can relax.:blush:

jill
23-10-08, 02:50
Hi hun :D:hugs:

I do know that hypothyroidism can have an effect on your period.

I can only say how my periods work and symptoms running up to my period.

NOW, day 1 is when I first bleed, for the first 3 days I bleed heavy and after it gets lighter but last for about 7 days.

So, if day 1 is my first bleed, by about day 14, 15, my symptoms of coming on start, the symptoms can viery from month to month. This is how I am ever month.

These are the symptoms

Sore breast, so sore, I can't even stand anyone hugging me.

Oh regarding breats, a new one for me was just one of my breast was sore, just in the one place on my boob, Mmm, very strange, but its happend twice now around the 14, 15 day.

Tummy feeling full, large

feeling very cold

feeling tierd, Mmm, very tierd.

peroid aches

a craving for suger, Mmm, strange I know.

Feeling of being very sad, feel like crying, (deppressed is such a big word)

Negatives jumping out at me, can't seem to find positives, have to work dame hard to find them.

jumping at people, can't seem to control my temper.

Mmm, may have more symptoms but can't think of them at the mo, ohhh its very late, mind going :wacko: LOL

These symptoms do not come on all at once, Mmm, well they did a couple of months ago. I am panic, high anxiety free because of this great site, but I was under alot of stress at the time and got ALL the symptoms a once, ohhh boy, I could not even get myself to work, I felt sooo bad, I did get a little scared at the time, but calmed myself down and thought, I would see what the next month brought, YEP, back to normal with just 1 or 2 symptoms.

What I will say happens with me, when I start to bleed, whatever symptoms I have had, start to go, very strange, BUT, I know now, that come day 14, 15, they maybe back again, but for me, it all down to my hormones.

I would say is to write things down, when you first bleed, call that day 1, mark it on a calender, it helps, write, day 1 day 2 day 3 and so on and so on, then right down when your symptoms start, see if you can see a patten.

Our bodys can change as we get older. I myself have been like this for awhile now.

But if you are going to talk to a gp to ask about periods it would be good if you can show him if there is a patten or not. This does take time, a few months to see if there is a patten, but well worth doing.

It has helped me alot knowing that every month is different, knowing that it can change from month to month helps me with my thinking, if you know what I mean. It helped me to eccept the symptoms, but not to expect them too, Mmm, does that make sense LOL

So, for me, having period symptoms around day 14, 15, is normal. Ohhhh What us women have to go through,

Not sure if this has been of any help at all LOL

Hope you sort things out soon hun :hugs:

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Helen1973
23-10-08, 18:12
Hi Jill! Hugs back:hugs:

Thank you so much for a wonderful and detailed post. It just goes to show how much we women are put through:lac: *sigh* and heaven forbid if you should veer away from the norm! Pfft! I'm going to try and chill on this now, although that is easier said that done *g*

Thank you once again and take of yourself too.:yesyes:

Oceanblue
23-10-08, 19:07
I have Hypothyrodism, it's a pain in the butt !

I take Levothyroxine and although I'm now ok on the scale, I can't really say it's helped a great deal in the way I feel with regard to periods.

I'm due for another blood test tomorrow, once the results are through and if everything seems ok with my levels, the gp is going to prescribe me the mini pill to help with my symptoms.

I've also just starting taking the herbal med Agnus Castus which seems to have an excellent report, it can take up to a month or so to start working, but I'll let you know if it helps.

Anyway, I know where you're coming from and it's not pleasant and not easy to just put up with either, I mean it's so bad for me right now that's really interfering with my lifestyle, because I can feel so ill.

{ Sigh }.... I sometimes wish I was born male.

Take care x

Southern_Belle
24-10-08, 16:26
Hi Helen,

I'm hypo too. I will say I have gone to the other side of hyper twice, it was awful probably because I was used to being hypo. It did mess with my periods something awful and my thyroid issues are always up and down. My meds are constantly changing but that is me. I take Synthroid and Cytomel for the TSH 3 and TSH4. I know weird huh? If I were you and you continue to be have issues speak with both your gyn and your endocrinologist and perhaps they can straighten you out. By the way, when your thyroid is out of whack it can really mess with your anxiety so please take that into consideration.

Your symptoms really struck a chord with me. As of late I've had an odd craving for sugar myself which I've never had before. Can't get enough of the stuff and it never occurred to me it could be my thyroid so thank you so much! I go next week for blood work and then a week after see the endocrinologist. I'm also tired all the time and cold so very cold. Dry hair, skin etc., The list just goes on and on. A very good book to purchase is (and I hope it is over there) "Thyroid, A Book For Dummies" it is yellow colored. They make Dummie books for everything now. It has tons of information on both hypo and hyper-thyroidism, taught me loads. Good luck with both issues and if you ever need to talk to someone who has had this a long time please feel free to pm me. Feel better soon.

Laura

Helen1973
25-10-08, 10:45
Hi Katie and Southernbelle! Thank you so much for the detailed posts. :hugs: It really does help to know for sure that Throid issues can play around with your periods.

Katie - I know what you mean about wishing I'd been born male *sigh*

Southernbelle - Thank you for the offer of an ear to listen to, I really really appreciate it.

Since I posted, I had some brown discharge and went to see my GP. She took a swab to check for infections and has sent that off. She did say I had a bleed while she taking the swab which she said is period related because of where it came from:blush:

I still haven't come on yet though. Bizarre!:huh:

jill
30-10-08, 23:42
Hi Hellen :D:hugs:

I told you I was tierd when I replied to your thread, just popped in some more symptoms, blimey, they do look alot.

One thing I must add though, I am panic, high anxiety free now, beacause of this great site, BUT, when I had ALL the symptoms at once and could not get to work, I WAS under alot of stress dealing with something at home. When I was acute, the run up to my periods the symptoms were worse.

Hunny, on the brown discharge, I can get this before a peroid and when I am coming off, all normal for me. I did, many years ago, go to my gp over this and had checks done, all came back normal.

Its good that you are being checked, peace of mind goes along way.

My 2 sisters have thyroid issues, when I first started with panic, high anxiety my sister thought I had the same probs because it can create the same symptoms, BUT NO, I was tested and came back clear.

I do hope you get things sorted hun and things start to settle soon.

You have had some great advice from other memeber AS ALWAYS :yesyes:

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX