PDA

View Full Version : acid reflux AGAIN

jannnne
22-10-08, 09:18
Hello, I haven't posted for a few weeks as I thought things were gradually getting better, can anyone give me some advice please?

It started at the end of July and I went to the docs she said I had acid reflux. I am now on my 3rd lot of pills for this.

About a week or so ago we went away for the weekend and I forgot my pills by the time we came home my symptoms were back with a vengence. After taking my pills for about 5 days again, I got up and took my pill in the morning only to get the most awful taste of blood in my throat. I had blood stained spit. I went straight to docs and got this 3rd lot of pills, she has taken some more blood and I need to go and see her next Monday.

I am worried that these pills are only masking the symptoms.

My symptoms are below they were about 10 times worse during the time I didn't take the pills.

Burning in throat, cough a little hoarseness

Burping and hicups after eating

pain around top of stomach gurgling and noisy

I have coughed up a little blood twice now

Am getting really worried that it is something else GP says unlikely at my age I am 39. Why are the pills not making it better? What else can I do? Should I ask to be referred. My symptoms are worse now than when I started taking the pills.

Really tearful now about all this and to top it all got really bad ovulation pain and think my ovaries or bowel are buggered as I am constipated too.

Please helpxxxthank you

Andyroo
22-10-08, 09:26
I am worried that these pills are only masking the symptoms.

My symptoms are below they were about 10 times worse during the time I didn't take the pills.

Burning in throat, cough a little hoarseness

Burping and hicups after eating

pain around top of stomach gurgling and noisy

I have coughed up a little blood twice now

i have had all the symthoms but the last one... are you sure the blood was coughed up and not drained from your sinuses? was it alott??
other then the coughing up blood all of the symthoms are the symthoms of acid reflux incuding sore throat and the funny taste.. the acid can come up and burn your throat and cause it to be sore and redish doctors often look in your throat to check for that acid reflex symthom.. it can also cause difficulties swallowing. i have had acid relex since i was a young kid. i remember going to the doctor complaining about my chest feeling funny :noangel:
anyways those symthoms sound pretty normal accept for the coughing up blood.. all i can think if it thats from your sinuses but if you dont think it is.. tell your gp about it :noangel:

jannnne
22-10-08, 09:31
Hi, I have told my GP about the blood and she did not seem too concerned just said come back sooner if it keeps happening. I am sure it was not from my sinuses and it was only a little bit. It was as if when I swallowed the pill it must of nudged something and made it bleed, but maybe acid can do that to your throat. I have just had breakfast and now my throat feels on fire and pain at the top of my tummy. Is there anything else I can do? I am keeping a close eye on my diet.

nickieb
22-10-08, 09:40
Hiya Jan

I have had acid reflux the last 2 days now & its not nice & yes has left me very hoarse. I personally didnt take anything & it has disappeared, but Gaviscon cool i here is good.
The blood i believe that you had is from where your oesophagus is inflammed from the constant acid reflux burning it if you like....overtime this can cause problems so i suggest you go back to your docs for another review..
However the main treatment is omeprazole/lanzoprazole etc as you probably know. I would firstly attempt to try & control the factors that make it worse, for ex diet/smoking & alcohol & see how that goes.

If within 6months it hasnt helped then you have a right to a referal to an ENT to get an endoscopy of your stomach etc.

Dont worry hun its common & is easily treatable however at first is rather trial & error xxxx

Andyroo
22-10-08, 09:43
Hi, I have told my GP about the blood and she did not seem too concerned just said come back sooner if it keeps happening. I am sure it was not from my sinuses and it was only a little bit. It was as if when I swallowed the pill it must of nudged something and made it bleed, but maybe acid can do that to your throat. I have just had breakfast and now my throat feels on fire and pain at the top of my tummy. Is there anything else I can do? I am keeping a close eye on my diet.

besides waiting for the meds to kick in.. when i feel like that i just have cold drinks. :noangel:

jannnne
22-10-08, 09:45
Hi, thanks for advice, how long does it take for meds to kick in? I have been taking them for 10 weeks now? Have stopped drinking, don't smoke and my diet is good.

Andyroo
22-10-08, 09:50
ive been on acid reflux meds since i was a child lol for me it takes about a week or 2 for the meds to start working ... a week at the least .. there have been times where ive ran out of meds and the pain and acid came back so i started on the pills again .. and once again i had to wait about a week for me to start feeling better and feeling the meds work

Andyroo
22-10-08, 09:51
what meds are u on anyways for acid reflux?

jannnne
22-10-08, 09:56
Hi, I started on Lansoprazole, then nexium and now losec mups, the symptoms are a little better when taking the pills but I still have awful burning and burping and pain, oooh I sound like such a whinger sorry.... thanks for helping me x

Andyroo
22-10-08, 09:58
Hi, I started on Lansoprazole, then nexium and now losec mups, the symptoms are a little better when taking the pills but I still have awful burning and burping and pain, oooh I sound like such a whinger sorry.... thanks for helping me x

just curious why so many different meds? ive been on one my whole life and its worked lol

jannnne
22-10-08, 10:00
So many because none of them seem to be working they keep trying different ones, I now take one in the morning and 2 at night and still keeps on burning its driving me nuts

Andyroo
22-10-08, 10:03
ask your doctor about Zoton its one pill a day in the mornings
without that pill id be miserable

jannnne
22-10-08, 10:06
Thanks Malv, I will do I go back to GP on Monday, she has also tested me again for Helicobactor Pylori I had that about 5 years ago. I hope its not that it costs a fortune to treat.

Andyroo
22-10-08, 10:08
good luck jane