PDA

View Full Version : Things seem to be getting worse

mary8
22-10-08, 16:19
Hi, I put a couple of threads on here just recently regarding terrible pain I have ben suffering in my neck,shoulder and arm. Went to GP and he referred me to a Chiropractor as he says I have a trapped nerve. It's been a week since my visit to chiropractor and still the pain isn't getting any better. I have been back to GP for stronger pain killing tablets, but I am convincing myself I have a tumour on my spine.
Also to cap it all I had some blood tests done while I was there and they have come back with High Glucose level (6.9) and high cholesterol (6.00), my father died of heart attack at 65 (he had type 2 diabetes) and one of my sisters died at 41 from a heart attack. One of my other sisters and my brother also have type 2 diabetes.
I am so scared that I have it too, I have to go back for a fasting blood test now. I am so careful with my diet (unlike my siblings), am not overweight, don't smoke and am very careful with regard to fatty foods. I just don't understand how I can reduce my cholesterol any more. I just feel so down at the moment and feel I wont live to a ripe old age. I am 52. I have such bad HA that the constant thought of dying spoils my living.:weep:

countrygirl
22-10-08, 18:02
On the diabetes thing the crunch is your fasting glucose test - the other one was probably the one that takes an average over a month which is only done via a blood test ( my husband is diabetic so I know). If you fasting glucose is above 6 then you will need monitering and if its above 8 you are diabetic.

As for the cholesterol - the most important thing is your ratio of good to bad not your total number. Here is example - my friend has low cholesterol - its below 5 BUT most of here is bad cholesterol so she has to take statins which are not having much effect.
MY total chol is considered high as its 6.8 BUT I have very high good chol and triglycerides which means my ratio is 4.1 and anything under 5 is considered okay. My Gp said my good chol was highest recorded in the surgery and he seemed rather miffed!

So make sure you get all the information - ask what your ratio is on cholesterol as they will have worked it out - pin them down don't be fobbed off.

Even if both of these turn out not good its not too late to do something - a low glycemic index diet works wonders for diabetes and taking garlic and fish oil supplements can really help your good cholesterol numbers.

Good luck

Trixie
22-10-08, 18:03
Hi, I put a couple of threads on here just recently regarding terrible pain I have ben suffering in my neck,shoulder and arm. Went to GP and he referred me to a Chiropractor as he says I have a trapped nerve. It's been a week since my visit to chiropractor and still the pain isn't getting any better. I have been back to GP for stronger pain killing tablets, but I am convincing myself I have a tumour on my spine.
Also to cap it all I had some blood tests done while I was there and they have come back with High Glucose level (6.9) and high cholesterol (6.00), my father died of heart attack at 65 (he had type 2 diabetes) and one of my sisters died at 41 from a heart attack. One of my other sisters and my brother also have type 2 diabetes.
I am so scared that I have it too, I have to go back for a fasting blood test now. I am so careful with my diet (unlike my siblings), am not overweight, don't smoke and am very careful with regard to fatty foods. I just don't understand how I can reduce my cholesterol any more. I just feel so down at the moment and feel I wont live to a ripe old age. I am 52. I have such bad HA that the constant thought of dying spoils my living.:weep:

You haven't got cancer of the spine you just have a trapped nerve. I know they are painful but no way as painful as cancer of the spine.

Rachel W
22-10-08, 19:29
I had high cholesterol and the doctor immediately put me on Lipitor, which upset me because I would rather have done it by diet alone to see if that would help first. As it happeed I only took a few months then stopped. I then ate oatmeal and flax seeds every morning and when I had my cholesterol taken again it is ideal, with a great good cholesterol ratio.

Plant sterols (which are in oatmeal and other grains) really help. I also eat walnuts which are full of good fats.

Also, cinnamon is really good at maintaining a healthy sugar level (2tsp a day).

Also, if your regular glucose is 6.9, I am sure that your fasting glucose will be below 6 which is fine.

It is hard, I know. I am going through my own health anxiety right now, and the more I worry about it the worst it seems to be getting (although I am trying to relax it is really hard to do so).

Take Care and I am sure that everything will work out fine!!!

Rachel