PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or Schizophrenia?

ARaleigh
22-10-08, 19:29
Dramatic title -- I know. But this is a real worry for me. I have some of the least desirable symptoms associated with anxiety: constant head pressure, short term memory issues, slight sensations of DP/DR, brain fog, etc. I would love to chalk this all up to anxiety. But I have a few other symptoms that suggest something else. First of all, my vision is absolute s**t. I'm constantly seeing blotches, spots, and colors floating everywhere, I see shapes and figures in my peripheries that seem like real objects until I inspect them and realize they're just more blotches, and I often mistake objects for people etc. Furthermore, aside from general feelings of anxiety and slight feelings of panic, I sometimes feel a weird "presence" wash over me. It's difficult to explain. I in no way believe that I'm being followed or anything, but the sensation is frightening. I will also sometimes get a general sense of fear from random objects, like I'll just be in my bathroom and slight fear will wash over me while looking at my sink. I don't feel any fear of the sink; it's just a general sensation that goes over me. Also, my memory is good -- I can still remember almost everything that happens to me every day -- but I find many of my memories having a dreamlike state that they didn't have before. And my short term memory is a bit s**tty. I'm always forgetting s**t that I didn't used to forget ie where I put my water bottle etc. Despite these feelings and my brain fog, I'm able to function on a pretty high level, with mad guitar skillz, stunning writing abilities, excellent academic achievement, and, for the most part, good social interaction. Sometimes I find myself tripping over words when I'm talking with people because of the brain fog, but usually when I "get going" I'm fine. So, I'm hoping you guys will pay close attention to these symptoms that I've described and be able to tell me whether I have something that matches your experiences with anxiety... or the dreaded SOMETHING ELSE....

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

pooh
22-10-08, 19:35
Let me put your mind at rest YOU ARE NOT SCHIZOPHRENIC. I work with schizophrenia on a daily basis and what you describe isnt it.

Pooh x

HeatherMc
22-10-08, 20:07
I will agree strongly with Pooh, I have had very similar symptoms in the past they are so scary, I went down the road of suspecting schizophrenia, it is severe severe anxiety, have a look at the symptoms and some old posts, I know it is hard to believe when you are suffering so badly but honestly have a little faith, I know it is very hard to accept that this is anxiety, it stinks its horrible and you would not wish it on your worst enemy.

Hope you are feeling a bit better soon.

Lots of Love

Heather

ARaleigh
23-10-08, 03:55
Thanks guys -- that makes me feel better. Though I still feel like absolute filth. So what do you guys do to cope with this jive? Especially these vision problems and strange sensations of fear/insanity. I don't want to go down the path of drugs, because drugs are actually what triggered this absurdity in the first place. I did however recently start taking B12 supplements, like 2 days ago. Anyone have experience with those? How long does it take for them to start effecting your system? I was also considering investing in some fish oil. But I don't want to get anything that might further contribute to racing thoughts or a sense of unreality.

Mikke
23-10-08, 04:26
It will take your body about 4 weeks to refill storages, but many of the symptoms of lack of b12 will start to reverse after 4-6 days..

However, the most common serious psychological symptom of severe deficiacy is paranoia, and not the symptoms you have.

But hey, you should absolutely see a doctor about this. B12 deficiacy is no joke and should be treated with shots if possible. You should have a blood sample and see wether you lack b12 or not..

Mistie_In_Oz
23-10-08, 09:52
You are not schizophrenic not one bit!
Hope you feel better soon.
*HUGS*
Mistie

HeatherMc
23-10-08, 10:28
I am currently taking citalopram three days in and hoping for it to take off the edge, I can totally relate to the visual problems, depersonalisation etc etc etc, I have just been signed off work worried about my job etc etc, however I am reading up on anxiety read the success stories on here you would be amazed at who has suffered anxiety many famous figures politicians I also read an article about a cricket player, this article was in the daily mail but I read it on line, it is very candid and is probably the most realistic thing that I have ever related to

People do get over this and go onto to live normal lives, sometimes it gives them the edge and they appreciate life more.

Good Luck

Heather