PDA

View Full Version : getting a social life

bluesparkle
07-06-05, 09:19
hi...
i wondered if anyone could give me some advice...
i have always been a socialable person but seem to be alone now...
when i lived in weymouth i had many firends and always had people in and out of my house even after i was divorced... but since moving here 7 yrs ago i have gradually lost touch and as i have been struggling with my problems have sudenly found that i am alone... i have a couple of friends but they have partners or are busy with their lives and now i feel ready to be sociable again but i just dont know how(sounds a bit daft doesnt it) im not sure what to do to make the first step... the kids are older now so i dont have the interaction of playschool etc and meeting people there.
for a while i would date men but it didnt work out and i have realised that that is probably not the best solution as its company i want .
i dont work at the moment although i do intend to in the not to distant future as i am getting stronger all the time but i do get so sad when im alone and it is driving me mad ...
i belong to st john ambulance but that is where my ex partner goes so i find it difficult to go to the social events there and i would like to give it up soon but i feel i need to fill this gap i have in my life.
i chat to people on here which is great but i need people around me.
thanks for listening
rach

Gareth
07-06-05, 09:24
Hello Rach,

I often think that the best way to meet people is through an interest. Rather than trying to find friends through pubs/clubs (which is impossible and intimidating), its best to start off with a shared interest.

What sorts of things are you interested in? Do you read very much - if so how about a book club? Is there anything you've always wanted to learn - how about taking up a short evening course at your local college in something like photography or creative writing or pottery? How about volunteer work - you've already done St John's Ambulance but there are loads of other organisations out there that could do with help.

Go to your local community centre or library, get the local paper, anywhere where people may have advertised their groups, I'm sure you'll find loads of ideas.

Hope that helps,

Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

seh1980
07-06-05, 10:32
I think what Gareth says is right. There must be loads of social group and self-help groups in your area that you could join. This would be a great way of having fun and meeting new friends..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
07-06-05, 12:28
Hi Rach

Yes it is vital to have people around.

As well as the previous posts this may be ideal for you - meeting several of your needs.

Volunteering ... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3767)

For just getting out to meet new people whilst doing some fun stuff try www.spiceuk.com

There is a subscription but you can essentially be out every day doing something should you wish to be.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Piglet
07-06-05, 13:42
Hi Rach

I think I'm at the same stage in my life that you are - kids growing up so no more waitin outside school etc etc. I do know a lot of people round here as I sell makeup to most of them but would like to return to work so I can feel part of something.

My kids are great and good company but obviously they have stuff of their own to do and I'd like to have more in my life too. Not fussed about man huntin even though I'm told I still have the old magic hee hee, just an old hippy really.

Totally identify with what you are saying - do you still live in Dorset?

Love PIglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

pips
07-06-05, 15:55
Hi Rach I understand how difficult it is! funny thing really as Im just posting a topic on friends!

If you still want to meet up sometime let me know.

Take care,

Love PIP'S XX