PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Diagnosis: Social Anxiety Disorder

MacAodh
23-10-08, 16:55
Hey All,

Just wanted to share that I went to my GP's about a month ago, as I was struggling to the extent I was thinking suicide would be the relief I needed. Got a referral to the psychiatrist, and had the assessment on Tuesday. His preliminary diagnosis was Social Anxiety Disorder, with (i think he said) dysthymia. Its quite a relief to put a name to it. And I'm going through the difficult task of letting people who know me best, know that I might have this, as I've felt I've had to hide things from everyone my whole life (part of the symptoms apparently!).

Well I'm 26, and its about bloody time I got some serious answers! :) So here's to understanding, hard work and recovery!

p.s. I did my blue stripe grading in Taekwon-Do last night and recieved a credit and the grading award. :)

With respect & a stange tinge of pride.

J

milly jones
23-10-08, 17:31
hey j

i undertsand social anx

it does feel better to have a label, i know

well done for having the courage to join a group activity, i could never do that

hugs

milly xxxx

MacAodh
23-10-08, 18:44
hey milly,

I'm sure you could if you found something you really felt you wanted to do. Taekwon-do is my sanctuary, I always knew I wanted to do a martial art, and I was really lucky finding the school I have. One of the instructors suffers from pretty severe depression, so to hear her sharing that was a big comfort and inspiration. I get horrible anxiety before things like job interviews, but I don't mind grading in TKD. Its after I grade and say get a credit, and have to stand up in front of everyone to recieve it, and have lots of people come up to me and say well done that I start to panic and my mind goes blank, but its just something I knew I wanted to do, so I just smile and say thank you!

Thanks again!

J

diane07
23-10-08, 18:51
Aww its so nice when someone actually gives a name to something you are suffering with, it is a big relief.

And well done to you for your blue stripe grading, its great when someone does something they enjoy.

best wishes
di xx

milly jones
23-10-08, 19:04
sorry matey

im wallowing in self pity atm and cant see any light at the end of the tunnel

feel like my life has ended

mill x