PDA

View Full Version : Managed to travel 20 miles twice in a week :)

emma81
23-10-08, 18:28
Just thought I would share this as it has made me very proud of myself. My agoraphobia was getting so bad I was virtually housebound and then my relationship of 3 years to my fiance broke down 2 weeks ago leaving me feeling like everything was so pointless. I even did something very stupid to myself.

Then out of the blue I decided I needed to relax and decided to go for hypnotherapy against my GP's approval - which I posted about in the Therapy section.

Well it made me feel so calm and I have been religiously listening to the CD she gave me each night until my next appointment in 2 weeks time. It had been exactly a week since I saw her and I have managed to visit my parents - a couple of miles away; go and see his parents - about 5 miles away; then something came over me and I decided to go for a drive in the dark when I knew I wouldnt be able to see how far from home I was and also the roads would be quiet. And I made it to a village about 20 miles from here! :D

A couple of days later, I phoned my ex-fiance and asked him if he would support me through getting better and take me for a drive in the daytime and again I managed to get to the same place 20 miles away :D

I am not going to lie and say I didnt panic - but I decided to set myself steps along the way every couple of miles and see how many steps I could do - rather than set a target that might be unachievable at the moment. There were a few moments where the panic started to get horribly bad but I asked him to pull over and stop for 10 minutes each time while I tried to use my relaxation techniques to calm down again and it seemed to help.

So, tomorrow I am meeting him again and going for a drive and I really hope to get another few more steps further. I'm feeling more positive and calmer than I have in a long time and trying not to let the idea of having a panic attack terrify me quite so much as it did.

I'm really starting to believe that baby steps are the way forward, I will post back again tomorrow evening and see how far I got,

Emma x

diane07
23-10-08, 19:03
Emma,

isn't it an amazing feeling.

A huge well done to you, feel very proud of yourself.

best wishes

di xx

dianes
23-10-08, 19:04
:yesyes: :yesyes: Oh... Well Done Emma :yesyes: :yesyes:

Give yourself a big pat on the back you deserve it:yesyes:

Keep up the good work, it is by constantly repeating these steps that you break down the fear...thus loosing it altogether.

I look forward to reading more of your successes.

:hugs: :hugs: to you

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

milly jones
23-10-08, 19:10
really well done pet

hugs

milly xx

pooh
23-10-08, 19:23
well done fantastic news keep it up

Pooh x