PDA

View Full Version : Water Meter

Karen
23-10-08, 19:50
I was just hoping for some opinions or comparisons for a problem I've got at my new flat.

For those who don't know I moved to a studio flat in July and I wasn't aware until after I moved in that the flat has a water meter. Now, I was very worried when I realised I'd be on a meter, fearing big bills but everyone said I'd be better off.

However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I officially signed the tenancy here on 9 June but for various reasons I didn't move in until 25 July. So although I know I am responsible for bills from the start of my tenancy, the flat was empty until 25 July (6 weeks roughly). So, apart from a little bit of water used when I came in to clean the place, I wasn't using the water supply really until 25 July.

As I wasn't initally aware I was on a meter I couldn't check the reading when I moved in, and despite searching everywhere I couldn't find a meter. I have now received a bill from the water company covering the period 9 June to 28 September for about £64 :ohmy:

Now, considering the flat was empty for part of that time I think this bill is high and I queried it by email but they insist it is right.

I also asked where my meter is and rather than one of those little square covers in the ground, they stated it is "located in a large pit in the footpath to the front of the property" The only large pit I can see is one of those really heavy steel plates in the ground that require two men to lift them. How am I - someone who is disabled with mobility and weakness problems meant to lift a cover like that to read my meter???? :shrug:

Anyone have any experience like this? I am worried about continuing to get large bills and I can't even check my meter because I can't physically get to it.

Thanks.

Karen xx

lilibet
23-10-08, 21:03
Hi Karen

Were on a water meter here and there are 3 of us 2 adults 1 child. The cost of water for all of us is about £6 per week. That includes 3 baths per day, the loo, washing up etc and my washing machine is on at least once a day. I dont use water for the garden in the summer or car washing etc as i worry about the cost of it.

I would say that as you live on your own you should be better off with a meter.

Not sure what everyone thinks

love lilibet x

Karen
24-10-08, 01:59
Thanks for that Lilibet.

I've worked out roughly that going on my current bill it will cost me about £4.80 per week - and that's not even taking into account that this flat was empty for 6 of the weeks they are charging me for.

I live in a small studio flat. I live alone. I had a visitor for a couple of weeks but that's it. I have a bath a day or every other day (depending how depressed I'm feeling) and use the washing machine once a week. I'm sure there must be something wrong with the meter or I am being charged for water I haven't used.

Due to my OCD issues I even use disposable plates, cutlery etc so I don't even use water for washing up hardly anything.

I just don't know what an average bill is as I've never been on a meter before :shrug:

Karen xx

kendo59
24-10-08, 03:14
This may be a silly question, but are you sure the meter is only for your flat, and not the whole house (ie, serves all the other studio's in the house)??

xBettyBoopx
24-10-08, 03:42
Hi Karen

I was gonna say that sounds about right, until I saw lilibets £6 per week for a whole family!

I pay £27 per month, I live on my own too. I know that I am in all day hence I use more than I used to when I was working, but only £6 per week for a family seems really cheap.

Don't know what to say now:shrug: :shrug:

I wonder if different water boards have different rates. I know that they have gone up lately (just like everything else).

Lilibet - where abouts in the country do you live plz?

You got me thinking now about how much the actual rates would be to pay, not that I can change.

Sorry couldn't be more help Karen :blush:

Love
Els
xxx

xBettyBoopx
24-10-08, 03:46
oooooooooooooo just worked mine out, it's about £6.20 per week. I gotta be paying for someone else as well surely:blush: :mad: :scared15: :unsure: :doh:

Karen
24-10-08, 04:25
Thanks Elspeth and Kendo for your replies.

This may be a silly question, but are you sure the meter is only for your flat, and not the whole house (ie, serves all the other studio's in the house)??
No I'm not sure. I just think there is something not right.

Elspeth - Your's sounds high too. I don't know what to think :yesyes:

Karen xx

eeyorelover
24-10-08, 05:14
I would ask the water board how old your meter is and if it is possible to get it replaced.
Our water here is high but we don't pay as much as you do and there are 4 of us using water.
There should also be records at the water board as to how much the previous tenant was using and bill amounts.
I'd ask cuz something just doesn't sound right!
xxx
Sandy

Karen
24-10-08, 06:58
Thanks Sandy :hugs:

I am querying the bill and if they still insist it is right I will ask them to replace it and place it somewhere more manageable. I do think I am paying a lot for a singe person in a small flat.

There should also be records at the water board as to how much the previous tenant was using and bill amounts.
I'd ask cuz something just doesn't sound right!
That's part of the problem. I think the last tenant left here with lots of outstanding bills so I could be paying someone else's bill.

Karen xxx

belle
24-10-08, 09:13
I pay £55 a MONTH and i am on my own with my son.

I think you'd still have the sewage charge to pay whether you're using water or not.

lilibet
24-10-08, 11:31
Oh i think yours is very high Karen, how about going to the CAB for advice.

Els i live in worcestershire which is supplied by Severn Trent.

Love lilibet x x x

Cathy V
24-10-08, 12:45
I was supplied by Severn Trent Water too, when i lived in the midlands until last year, and i paid 22.80 a month. That was for myself and my 20yr daughter and there were baths or showers every day...sometimes twice a day with the showers. I used the washing machine about 3 times a week, but no dishwasher, but washing up in a sink uses more water.

Cathy xxx

Karen
24-10-08, 12:56
Thanks for the replies. I cannot afford to pay this month for water so now I don't see how I can use it.

I think you'd still have the sewage charge to pay whether you're using water or not.
Thanks Belle but the bill I am talking about is just for water supply. I haven;t had the sewage rates bill yet. So I think it is high still.

Karen xx