PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety about others!

bluesparkle
07-06-05, 11:47
hi...
i am doing fairly well at the moment and seem to be coping ok but i have one last issue that is really bugging me... i have thought about posting about it for ages and now i have learnt that you can ask pretty much anything on here and someone will understand and not laugh at you i thought it was time to ask...
i have health anxiety about other people and not myself...
i do not worry about myself and if there is something wrong with me i can deal with that...but its when other people who are close to me and that i care about are ill... or even just tired out and need to sleep in the day etc i just go into total panic and overdrive... its ridiculous.
i dont nessacery think the worst and that they may be really ill or may even die ... its just the fact that they are not well...
im not sure im explaining this very well.
i really dont know how to sort this one...
am i the only one who feels like this...

Meg
07-06-05, 12:02
You are most certainly are not the only one.

You've joined quite a clan.

Often its about not being able to interpret just how unwell or out of sorts they are.

You know with yourself as you feel it but with others we are reliant on their behaviour and descriptions or lack of them - children and males are particularly difficult to assess. They have a tendency to either claim to be dying of a cold or trying to still run around with a broken leg.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

tattybear
07-06-05, 14:12
Hi Blue sparkle...

Your def not alone in this one - Im exactly the same!

I can be really calm even at home or a family membr and any talk of illness, being hurt or anything and I get breathless, dizzy etc.

The worst time latly was at my boyfs mums house, and his sisters husband came over, and hed had an op on his leg the day before - I totally made me freak and The dizzyness / feeling of passing out was so bad I just had to leave with my boyf. ... Luckily they're understanding!!

I think thats why I hate doctors & hospitals.

Tatty B xx

seh1980
07-06-05, 14:16
I think lots of us are like that Blue. I get nervous when I see an ambulance go by..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pips
07-06-05, 15:36
Hi Rach,

I'm exactly the same I worry constanly about my family etc.. if hubby's late home well he must of had a car crash surely! and my mum if she said she would ring at a certain time and was late well she doesn't drive so shes probably been run over or the bus has crashed!

My cat has a weeping eye and its cat flu! duh!

Absolutely and totally irrational thinking going on in my head but i do so understand how you feel.

The best advice I can give to you is to STOP (imagine the lollypop lady with her sign!) take a deep breathe and tell yourself things will be ok and it's just the irrational thoughts taking over. Then try to distract yourself and tell yourself you have done all you possibly can for now! As the more you worry the more it feeds the negative thoughts. I know it's B****y hard and im still working on it I think I always will be really! LOL

Hope it eases for you soon mate.

Take care,

Love PIP'S XX

sal
08-06-05, 00:22
Hi and i do feel exactly like you so dont feel alone in how you feel.

Keep in touch and i will contact you soon.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

bluesparkle
20-06-05, 12:43
hi...
thank you all so much for your replies... its nice to know im not alone...
i need a bit of advice today and know i will feel daft after posting this but.....
my ex...( who as many of you know i have been struggling with ... but i must say i am getting much better with dealing with the situation... ) has hurt his back quite badly last night.... he off to docs later but cant do anything at mo because of the pain...
well it has sent me into a bit of a panic... i cant explain why but it somehow affects everything... i am struggling with the situation again (i know its only temporary but thats not helping at mo)
it seems that when there is a problem like this..although it isnt my problem as such... i worry about everything... our friendship what the future holds etc...
on one hand i want him to come back(but thats normal for me when he has a prob). i want to help all i can but not sure i should... i also want to run away until he is 100%...and then address the other issues...
im not sure this is making any sense but i have made so much progress i dont want to fall back down...
i know at the moment i am feeling lonely... as in no special person for me which isnt helping...
but on the whole am still doing ok... just dont want this to set things off again as my anxiety about others and illness has always been a prob...
just read this back and yes it does seem a little daft but will post it anyway
rach

Meg
20-06-05, 13:09
Rach,

I don't think its daft at all.

Many of us are carers either as a career or within our everyday lives.

It is normal when someone whom you are emotionally involved with falls ill - you want to take control and make everything ok again just as you always have done.

These feelings are especially strong when there isn't anyone else in that role for which you are already doing this all for..

The worries about the future are understandable too as if he is incapacitated for a while then it does impact on your routine and life too if you share kids and things.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

chucklehound
20-06-05, 13:27
Your'e not the only one. If my husband says he has a head ache I automatically think he has a brain tumour.
You just have to realise that this is a silly way to think and try not to worry...

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-