PDA

View Full Version : HA really bad this week...brain tumour certainty...!

the_nub
23-10-08, 20:58
Had headaches and dizziness a while ago (about 6 weeks ago it started) and went to the docs at the end of Sep. Diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. Was happy with that and toddled off. It carried on for a week then got better...was so chuffed, stopped worrying. Then this week I've felt wrong again, but with slightly different symptoms...no vertigo, but neck/shoulder ACHE and shooting headache thingys down the back of my head and down my neck. Right eye (which is the eye that sometimes has a slightly enlarged pupil, though not always) feels wrong somehow (though whether it is I can't totally tell...just feels slighly pressurised, as does right ear).

Have been very tired and unpredictable the last few days...not sure if this is related or whether it's cos I'm a teacher and it's nearly half term! I seem to be able to hold things together at school without things becoming a problem, though during lessons I do feel lightheadedness or a headshock and think, "please, please not now"...

Basically (and this is awful), I am so convinced that I am going to die. I am waiting for the day when everything starts to go black and I know I'll never wake up. I think I have got an aneurysm which is about to/already has ruptured and it's slowly killing me...I'm convinced I have one of the horrid types of tumours that are always deadly. I can't talk to my OH about this; he'd think I was being ridiculous.

I think I might make another appointment with the doctor for next week, and demand a CT/MRI. I honestly don't think I'll be able to continue with my life if I don't get one. I am so utterly sad. When the labyrinthitis symptoms went for that week/two weeks or whatever it was, the relief and joy was so immense. This is SO UNFAIR.

fairyloveheart
23-10-08, 21:32
Hi There

Sorry to hear you are feeling so rotten and worrying about this... I am sure it isn't a BT. I have the same worries myself, but my pains are in my face, forehead and nose. I have seen some consultants who can't find anything wrong.

My OH is v, understanding - yours might surprise you?

I think you should go back to the docs and explain again that you are worried, write your symptoms down (so you don't come away and then remember you've forgotten to say something). You could ask for a CT scan for piece of mind, but with our PCT only the consultant can refer, so they have to refer you to a neurologist first.

The doctor(GP) can do a range of neurological tests with you in the surgery - and these will probably put your mind at rest.

I know how hard it is, I have been suffering since last December.

Take care and try not to worry tooooo much.

PM me if you need to.

FLH
xxx

LeeBee
24-10-08, 04:13
Hi there,

Good advice from Fairy above.

I had labyrinthitis for about 3 weeks in July/August. It got better (hooray!) for two weeks. Then it came back (boo). I had it again for another couple of weeks before it finally started to fade again, and it has been OK for about the last 4 weeks. I do still have a lot of sinus symptoms similar to the ones you describe such as tingling, pressure in the face, headaches, eyes feeling "stiff", shooting pains in my eye and forehead, "fullness" and sometimes pain in my right ear. And a bit of post-nasal drip.

My doctor said that labyrinthitis can come and go without warning. So I guess I'll just have to see if it comes back again. It is horrible, you have my sympathy. If it was a tumour or aneurysm it is unlikely that the symptoms would come and go, because tumours don't come and go.

Hope that helps. :)

Trixie
24-10-08, 06:23
Had headaches and dizziness a while ago (about 6 weeks ago it started) and went to the docs at the end of Sep. Diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. Was happy with that and toddled off. It carried on for a week then got better...was so chuffed, stopped worrying. Then this week I've felt wrong again, but with slightly different symptoms...no vertigo, but neck/shoulder ACHE and shooting headache thingys down the back of my head and down my neck. Right eye (which is the eye that sometimes has a slightly enlarged pupil, though not always) feels wrong somehow (though whether it is I can't totally tell...just feels slighly pressurised, as does right ear).

Have been very tired and unpredictable the last few days...not sure if this is related or whether it's cos I'm a teacher and it's nearly half term! I seem to be able to hold things together at school without things becoming a problem, though during lessons I do feel lightheadedness or a headshock and think, "please, please not now"...

Basically (and this is awful), I am so convinced that I am going to die. I am waiting for the day when everything starts to go black and I know I'll never wake up. I think I have got an aneurysm which is about to/already has ruptured and it's slowly killing me...I'm convinced I have one of the horrid types of tumours that are always deadly. I can't talk to my OH about this; he'd think I was being ridiculous.

I think I might make another appointment with the doctor for next week, and demand a CT/MRI. I honestly don't think I'll be able to continue with my life if I don't get one. I am so utterly sad. When the labyrinthitis symptoms went for that week/two weeks or whatever it was, the relief and joy was so immense. This is SO UNFAIR.

Please read this http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/page3.htm it might settle you.:flowers:

Blackstar
24-10-08, 13:24
Hey there,

I know the dizziness only too well! Like you I do have a constant brain tumour fear - also I have been getting lots of headaches recently - but I did go to the doc's with the dizziness a while ago. She said it was labyrinthitis, and that if you have had a bout of it, it can recur again and again for apparently no reason!

I also think tha when I'm tense in the neck and shoulders it gets worse, possibly the tension constricts blood vessels? Not sure. Also when I'm tired it gets bad.

I don't think it is a brain tumour but I hope you do have a productive chat with your GP about things, and that they can put your mind at rest.

Best wishes to you!

Anna. x

the_nub
24-10-08, 17:25
Thank you so much, everyone. I keep trying to reassure myself that if the symptoms come and go, it can't be a tumour...but then I think, "could it be swelling and receding with stress?" and make myself even more scared, and then MORE stressed, and then have MORE symptoms...argh, I'm an idiot.

I am going to go to the docs this week and hopefully he can poke about at me again and put my mind at rest! :(

Thank you for that link, as well! Perhaps it's still the labyrinthitis...?

Trixie
24-10-08, 18:01
"could it be swelling and receding with stress?"

I doubt it.

Labyrinthitis is not a very nice thing to have but please try to relax and stop worrying.:flowers:

HeatherMc
24-10-08, 18:18
hiya nub

I worry about this sort of thing a lot, a good tip is do not google hope you feel better soon, I know its a pain in the XXXXX but try not to worry, I had an MRI about six years ago because I had ringing in the ears and it came back fine, if anything your brain is in overdrive because of the anxiety.

Heather

the_nub
24-10-08, 22:42
Google is evil, I SWEAR. I just hope this IS labyrinthitis...every little new thing I'm like, "Sh!t! This isn't a labyrinthitis symptom!"

It's ridiculous. I know it's ridiculous. OH calls it "your stupid f!cking hypochondriac thing" and I don't ever talk about it to anyone else because they'd think the same. My neck and shoulders are in agony.....this didn't happen the last cycle of labyrinthitis symptoms...brain in overdrive.

I am so sorry...everyone's saying such nice things and taking time to reply to me, and none of it is making me behave any less ridiculously. I will try to snap out of it, but I do think I'll go to my doctor this week...if nothing else other than to set my mind at rest.

:(

STUPID NUB x

HeatherMc
25-10-08, 09:27
when you are in such a high anxiety state your brain is so convinced that you are ready for the pearly gates you will believe nobody who tries to reassre you, have a look at the symptoms pag read some success stories, I take comfort from some of the older folk on here who have been suffering for years and are still with us (I know that is dead selfish!) but honestly hun, it is anxiety, I have trouble believing that myself and sometimes convince myself that all the stress and worry will make me have something soon.

Sending you big hugs and best wishes, Its not nice hun hope you get through this soon, as I am trying too.

Heather