PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like i don't get enough air while breathing

statyc
23-10-08, 22:43
Hi there. I had panic and axiety problems the past couple of years, i've got through the claustrophobia the depersonalization/derealization problems and it really seems like i'm ok again. i had stopped the medication almost one year ago and i really feel fine, until like...2 weeks ago. Since then i have the feeling that when i breath through the mouth i don't get enought air in the chest. I don't get panicked or anxious about this, it's just that feelings, and it's getting worse. I'm starting to get afraid of it, cause i think it's not from anxiety or stuff like that, i don't smoke and i'm only 16. I'm really healthy overall. I didn't had any serious health problems, everything seems really fine, but as i said this breathing problems are beginning to worry me. There is also a little chest kind of tightness feeling. Although those breathing problems don't bug me all day. When i'm at school or get distracted or concertrated on something it seems that they do get away, but when i'm on my way to home and i live like 20-30mins from school this feeling strikes again, and the more i walk to worse it gets. And this is absolutely new to me, before that i walked really longer without feeling that i've got rest and catch my breath.
So...what do you think i should do. I really hope it's nothing serious cause, i just can't find the reason to feel that way, like i said i'm completely healthy and the only bad thing that happend to me was the anxiety, which i do not get that often anymore. I'll be happy to hear some advice from you. Thanks for your time.

Oh...and by the way, sorry for my English mistakes, i'm still studying it, hope it gets better...

Cathy V
23-10-08, 23:32
Hi there. From what you describe it sounds like classic anxiety symptoms. If it was a real problem with your breathing then you would probably feel it all of the time not just sometimes. That is assuming your doctor has ruled out asthma or something like this? if your doc says you are all clear, then because you have had anxiety problems before, i would say it is this.

Try some breathing exercises if you can...deep breath in on the count of 9 and out on the count of 12 can sometimes bring your breathing pattern back to normal.

Hope this helps
Cathy xxx :)

statyc
24-10-08, 00:03
Thanks a lot:)
Actually i saw my doctor a while ago, maybe the beginning of this year, and i was fine. The weird thing is that i don't feel any kind of anxiety or panic when this feeling appers. However, breathing excersizes should help, i've done them before, and they are really quite helpfull.
Thanks again
:D

Cathy V
24-10-08, 00:11
Its ok, and i think that because you say youve had claustrophobia (do you mean you are now cured of this by the way? i wish i could be cured of mine so easily) then i think when you say you dont have the feelings of anxiety at these times, you really do without knowing it. Your body has learned to be anxious and it doesnt take much to set it off....like its just below the surface. And you're a student and maybe under pressure with school work.

Your English is very good by the way...better than mine and im an English person living in Germany.

Take care
Cathy xxx

justjem
24-10-08, 01:20
I find when this happens then you are obviously thinking and concentrating on your breathing too much when you shouldnt.

I sometimes feel I need to sigh all the time to get more oxygen in my lungs, and will sometimes be found hanging my head out the window at 5am.

When this happens again, get up and do something else. And you will soon find your breathing will become "normal" again

statyc
24-10-08, 09:31
Thank you so much for your answers, I actually feel better already =)
And yes i had claustrophobia, i'm completely over with it. I'm not affraid of elevators, or that kind of stuff. And i'm happy with the results, i really had to work hard to feel better. There were times that i coudn't go to the shop without someone with me. Fortunately i found enough braveness in me to start chasing the fear, and that's the reason why i feel more confident and not affraid of those things. However I don't nervous or under pressure at school, actually i feel better there, when i'm with my friends.
Thanks again.
Best Wishes !

anx mum
31-10-08, 14:00
hi my name is bev. your not alone with that feeling ive had the same problem for 2 months. does it feel like your suffocatting?

yanksforever
01-11-08, 19:41
My anxiety began in June and since then I've had this about 4 times and each time it lasted for a week. It's annoying as heck and usually caused me to wind up yawning (probably to give my body enough O2 since I become conscious of my breatshing) and eventually when I move around and get distracted, it stops.'

You're ok!