PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and going on holiday

welovesalc
24-10-08, 14:01
Hi Everyone,

I am off on holiday in 2 weeks, going on a coach tour of the west coast of America!!! I am very excited, but also a bit anxious!

People who are lucky enough not to have anxitey just seem to pack and go off on their trips but I find if I try and 'prepare' myself in some way it might help me manage my anxiety/ imminent PA. Can anyone suggest ways to 'prepare' for my holiday?

I have been focusing on the fact I will have a PA at the airport or on the plane or whenever and to just accept that this will happen and try and give space to the panic whilst acknowledging it can't actually do me any real harm.

I have tried to work out WHAT exactly worries me about going away, its not flying (love it), its not being away from home comforts (my girlfriend (am a lesbian) is coming with me). I know all the things that don't worry me, its a bit harder working out what DOES worry me- maybe having to hang around the airport when I already stressed out? Feeling sick thorughout the whole trip?

I have distractions- books, ipod, films on plane, blue tac to fiddle with in queues etc.

I have comforters- rescue remedy, propanolol, mints, motillium, lavender and bergamot oil to smell, nerolli spray to wear, comfort blanket (i know, how sad!)

I have been practising breathing and meditation for the past month and feel confident to focus on that when I'm having a PA.

Is there anything else anyone does when they go away and feel anxious to help them through?

Sorry didn't mean for this to get so long! looking forward to hearing your tips, feeling a bit panicky now actually thinking about going away!

wls

Wenjoy
24-10-08, 17:20
I dont go abroad but if I am going to have to go on abus trip or something like that - rather than worry about "what if I have a panic attack" I try to get ont he bus and sit there looking around me willing myself to have an attack "Go on then - make me panic ........." It seems to stop the panic coming!!!
Good luck and have a great trip
Wenjoy x

P. (M)
24-10-08, 17:26
Hi,

Just thought I'd mention maybe a little Valium (Diazepam?) if required. I was totally anti-drugs myself (when I panic I think I'm about to have a heart attack so any drugs etc. will make it worse etc.) but one time when I had to go to the emergency room this nice worker there advised I try just a small 2mg tablet to see how it went etc. It: 1) Didn't give me a heart attack and 2) definitely helped me relax for that evening and sleep better (kinda like having a glass of wine but much better). Since then I try not to take it but sometimes when I really can't sleep because of anxiety I do take one.

I know everyone is different so I can't say if it would work etc. here but just thought I'd mention it as it has definitely helped relax me sometimes (although proably better to try it before departing if you haven't or at least speak to your doctor about it if you feel you'd like to try etc.).

Hope it might help. Sounds like a cool trip(!)

P. (M)

janeybaby25
24-10-08, 17:39
Hiya, first of all, how lucky are you, you jammy thing! I bet you will have a fab time. I get anxiety about travelling but I find once I am there I feel so much better and I am sure you will too. I hope you & your g/friend will have a wonderful time & if you start to feel a bit anxious, you always have her to hold your hand & tell you everything will be ok, which of course it will be.

anyway, have a fab time and let us know how you get on. xxxxxx

welovesalc
24-10-08, 20:09
Thanks everyone for all your support! I know janeybaby I am very lucky and Im more looking forward to it than I am anxious iyswim? And that def helps, in fact I've never felt so positive about going away!

P. (M) I have been thinking about asking for D to take while I'm away, I will give it some thought over the weekend and maybe make an appt with the doc for next week. I do have my propanolol to take and its always been enough to control the PA's in the past, so I might just stick with that!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Worrier
24-10-08, 20:19
Hey Wls,

Just wanted to tell you that you will be fine when you get here and with the great weather and all the fab things to see and do hopefully you can just focus on that and stop worrying. Where is your trip taking you? I am in Vegas - are you going to get to come here and play for a few days??

Take care and enjoy and make the most of it.

Natalie

welovesalc
27-10-08, 09:06
Hi Worrier, thanks for your reply. I have taken on board it is just the anticpation that is causing my anxeity and once I get going on my holiday I will forget all about my worries and have a great time! Yes I will be in Vegas, only for 2 days tho! I am really looking forward to it. I am just having a few wobbles and work is uber busy which is making me more stressed! Just reading back over my last few posts in this thread and I sound so optimistic, I just need to get that optimism back!!