PDA

View Full Version : Today My Anxiety is a 10

andy22
03-12-03, 01:41
I seem to be holding on to a thread. I am trying breathing exercises to no avail. I am still on my lung cancer kick. I had a cold a month ago and have another one again or at least I thinks it's a cold. This of course adds to the anxiety. I just have a fear that after smoking for 17 years that I did not quit in time. I need to find stories of people who have quit and have not developed cancer nor has had a heart attack. All I hear and find is the negative. I just wish the worry would go away and the obessive thinking would not control my every breath.
I just needed to be heard. My thoughts seem to lose their power when I say them out load or type them out. Thanks for letting me share again.
Andy

sarah
03-12-03, 02:32
hi Andy

Type out your thoughts all you need, thats what we are here for!!!!!

I smoke so i cant give you a reformed smokers personal experience. I can say however that both my granparents were heavy smokers for years and both gave up in their 50's. They both lived to the ripe ages of 80 and 73 and neither died of smoking related illnesses.
Just because you smoked doesnt automatically make you get cancer, just a bit of a higher risk. I used to work in pharmacy manufacturing chemotherapy drugs (among others) so i know that cancer doesnt have to be lifethreatening anymore.
I know about the obsessive thinking thing though. I have trouble with the knowledge of how my body works and ive just managed to freak myself out watching something on the discovery channel. Hence why im posting at 1.30 am...cant sleep.
When i was really bad i used to lie on the sofa obsessing about my body and dying. Thats the worst thing you can do. I now occupy my mind by doing jigsaws, puzzles, decorating, cooking. I even play dress up sometimes and try my best clothes on and makeup, put some music on and boogie to pretend im 'cured'..lol.(well it works for me..LOL)
hope this helps some

love Sarah
xx

Meg
03-12-03, 10:07
Andy ,
I worked in the NHS for many yeara both in hospitals and in GP land. There are lieterally millions of people who have smoked heavily for much longer than you have and have not had any respiratory related illnesses at all.

As Sarah says it does increase your risk a bit but as you've now stopped every day you are decreasing that risk. Take heart from that and going forward do the best oyu can for yourself in nutrition, exercise , being outdoors and appreciating all the wonderful things around us each day.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
03-12-03, 10:13
Hiya Andy,

I can't comment on the smoking as I am afraid I am a smoker myself, but I do know people who have given up and feel great!!
I hope after a good nights sleep you are feeling better today

Take Care
Love
Lucky

andy22
04-12-03, 01:34
You guys are the best, your encoutagement and level heads give me hope every day. Thanks again for the understanding and support.

nomorepanic
04-12-03, 21:29
Hi Andy

Hope you are feeling better now? We all have those days that we feel agggghhh and it is nice to come here and get some good support and advice

Chin up eh?

Nicola

uryjm
04-12-03, 23:58
Andy
Do you watch The Fast Show? I ask because there's a recurring sketch where a country bumpkin stumbles out of a barn and says something like, "Today, I'll be painting horses", and stumbles back inside. If he ever says "Today, my anxiety is a 10", I'll let you know...
My dad smoked for about thirty years and gave it up. No related problems. My friend's dad never smoked but needed a triple bypass. I think you'll be ok.
All the best.

Jim

Lottie32
05-12-03, 09:45
Hi Andy

Have you tried any sort of counselling?

My friend has had extreme anxiety and panic attacks, bought on by the fear that she had cancer.

The doctor sent her for loads of tests, and although everything came back negative, she still couldn't believe she was alright.

She was helped by attending counselling sessions and doing CBT, and taking Prozac.

Have you thought of this. She is better now, and hasn't had an attack since. Her panic was bought on only by the thought that she had cancer.

My great grandpa Tom was a miner all his life, and also smoked from the age of 12. He died just before his 98th birthday. Not saying it's ok to smoke (I do and its and evil habit), just that not everybody who smokes will die from smoking, and that as soon as you give up, the health benefits are instantly noticable.

Charlie

Michaela
07-12-03, 11:10
Hi Andy

Hope you are feeling much better now. I am a reformed smoker - hurrah!! - and started smoking when I was the shocking age of 10. I was an only child and got bored of solitaire!! By the time I was 14 I was on at least 10 a day and this then soon became 20 a day and I didn't give up until I was about 25. I used to smoke quite heavily if I was going to parties and would take 2 pags of ciggies with me. Since giving up, I have not wanted to smoke and I think having anxiety spurred me on to give up, because I learnt it depletes your Vitamin B resources. I am still healthy and am now 35, so 10 years on am still going strong.
Hopes this give some encouragement that there is life after smoking, but in any event am glad you got so much support as I can identify with the words not having power after saying them or typing them.

Michaela

buggy999
07-12-03, 22:35
Keep it up Andy. You'll get there mate. My Nan smoked from the age of 16... WOODBINES!!! and lived to 83 and died peacefully with her family around her due to an unrelated illness. Chin-up mate.