PDA

View Full Version : Nerve head pains

swiffer61
25-10-08, 13:59
Hi everybody!

I just have a couple questions.

After almost a month of head pains/headaches (electric shocky, stabbing, shooting, tender scalp) my doctor has diagnosed me with having nerve pains on the left side of my head (begins at the left-side base of my skull and travels up the left-top of my head, temples, etc). I also have somewhat swollen and sometimes painful lymph nodes in my neck under my ear, near my jaw, and in the back left-side of my neck. I've also had some sinus problems which seem to be going away just fine, but these head pains/headaches aren't going anywhere. I'm on Amitriptyline at the moment and I need to see my physiotherapist again. As I also have Bruxism (clenching kind), I am waiting to pick up my recently moulded mouthguard in 2 weeks.

Anyway, in the meantime, I find that if I go out in the cold for too long that my head pains start up again. Is this normal for nerve pain? I always thought that nerve pain got better from cold.

Also, is there anything else that I may do in the meantime to help these pains go away? It's really disrupting my daily life, especially if I get the job I interviewed for this past week.

Do any of you ever have problems with nerve pains in your neck and head? Do you happen to know how these sorts of things happen? I'm only 22 and my quality of life is definitely not so good for the past couple of months (first something rather traumatic, then no job, now these awful head pains).

I've been worried for weeks that I have a brain tumour or aneurysm but my doctor assures me that the longer his patient has their pains, the less he's worried that it's something sinister. He's checked my head out about 2 times this month.

Trixie
25-10-08, 15:31
A couple of years ago I had trigeminal neuralgia and it was agony. The doctor put me on Tegratol and it was brilliant.

(Just in case you start thinking, :ohmy: it was nothing to do with my brain tumour)

swiffer61
25-10-08, 21:18
Thanks for that bit of info, Trixie! If it doesn't seem to get better from going to the physio and this Amitriptyline, I'll ask about Tegratol because from what I've googled, it seems like a pretty good medication for such a thing.

Also, I've noticed today that I may actually be getting less pains than before. I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that's normal with nerve things. Today I have had the occasional agonizing ouchie, but then there were moments of the day when I felt quite fine, just a little stiff in the neck. I was able to watch the entire "The Producers" this afternoon without flinching. :)

:hugs:

A couple of years ago I had trigeminal neuralgia and it was agony. The doctor put me on Tegratol and it was brilliant.

(Just in case you start thinking, :ohmy: it was nothing to do with my brain tumour)