PDA

View Full Version : How does your body stop a panic attack?

giddy
26-10-08, 17:26
I've read lots of advice about how to stop a panic attack myself and usually it works just fine. However I've been wondering if my body would stop the attack itself (if I was unable to) and how it would do that? I really struggled to keep control last night and it just got me thinking!

Cathy V
26-10-08, 17:58
Hi giddy. Sorry to hear you had such a bad night. I think a panic attack reaches a peak, then does actually start to subside. I think the mind can control it yes, but also that if left to its own devices the body will bring itself down fom full blown panic without us doing anything. I dont know if there are people who live in constant panic, and i mean full blown panic, not agitation, but id say we eventually physically come down from a panic whether we intervene or not. Ok we're left with anxiety after this, mostly because weve been so scared by the panic attack, and its the fear of course that makes them seem worse.

Just my opinion xxx :)

giddy
27-10-08, 07:44
Thanks Cathy - I'm feeling a bit more rational today - I'm sure like you say our body will sort itself out!

gtrgrl3369
27-10-08, 12:50
Your body can only sustain the adrenalin it has for so long. After it wears itself out, usually after a peak of 10 minutes it will go away on its own. Thats not to say it wont come back sooner than normal for people with anxiety. You can have constant rounds of panic and anxiety with small breaks in between. That is why it is crucial to have coping skills. Deep breathing and focus.Our bodies are designed to protect themselves from harm and that is why we have fight or flight response. That is why we get all the symptoms we get, it is our bodies way of protecting itself. I know it is harsh because I dont need a headache or dizziness to protect me. LOL. Thats why they say that when we let go of the fear, the rest will follow.

giddy
28-10-08, 09:05
Thanks x