View Full Version : New Member: Panic Disorder

ChrisR
27-10-08, 10:36
Hello all,

My name's Chris, from Toronto, Canada. I'm 26 years old and have had a panic disorder for as long as I can remember. When I was a 14 or so, I experemented with a few recreational drugs, all had created situations of panic so for years I thought that I had destroyed my brain. I dealt with the condition for 12 years on my own through avoidance and alcohol.

About 4 years ago, the attacks got worse, and I found myself becoming stuck at home and unable to go out, and about 2 years ago, I finally decided to see a psychologist after I kept convincing myself I was going crazy (even to the point of fearing my own inner monologue telling myself I was schitzophrenic).

First off, I told the psychologist I didn't want any medication, because I'm deathly afraid of drugs (he later prescribed me Ativan which I still haven't taken). It didn't work out because I found it relying on emotional factors, while I try to be a rational person, and becaue I could only get appointments once a month, and if I missed one, had to wait 3 months before I could get another one (anyone with panic disorder knows when you need help, you need it right then, not in 3 months).

So basically, now I'm just trying to deal with this on my own for now. I have a full time job, and the panic attacks are fairly controlled as long as I don't try to leave town, and stay out of wide open spaces.

I figured I'd introduce myself, my problem, and look around the site for tips with dealing with panic. I'm also willing to help anyone in anyway I can with coping. I can vouch that panic attacks will never kill you, as I've probably had thousands over the last 12 years.

Thanks for reading,
Chris.

pooh
27-10-08, 10:43
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

weeble40
27-10-08, 13:29
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

Veronica H
27-10-08, 16:28
:welcome: Chris, you will find comfort and support here. Glad you have found us.

Veronica

milly jones
27-10-08, 17:48
glad u joined no more panic

ur welcome here

love milly xxx