PDA

View Full Version : Serious Health Panic

roachford
08-06-05, 13:56
Hi,

As a new member, I want to post whats been happening to me on here and see what anyone thinks.

I worry. I worry a lot. Mainly abouy health. I have never been 'really' or 'seriously' ill, but I have a great fear about becoming so.

About three months ago, I had a pretty stressfull time at work and started to get heart palp's and tingling sensations in my hand. Needless to say I completely freaked and started to panic........which, in turn, seemed to aggravate the situation. I ended up going to see the doctor who scheduled an ECG. If I wasnt worried before, I was when the doctor said that. Anyway, before I had chance to get to the appointment for the ECG, I ended up having another palpatation/panic attack and went to the hospital as I was almost out of my mind with fear.

To cut a long story short, it seems that I have an irregular heart beat, but both the doctor and the hospital said my heart is fine, its a common issue and that I really dont need to worry. Phew:)

BUT....I have had an upset stomach for about a week and a half. For some reason, I have got it into my mind that it might be something sinister (stomach bugs dont normally last that long do they??). I have been back to the doctor and they have prescribed some anti-biotics as she thought it might be a bug I picked up while on holiday. I'm hoping thats the case but I just cant seem to shake this worry off. I wish I could just stop worrying and get back to living my life normally....

R

seh1980
08-06-05, 14:04
hi Roachford,

Welcome aboard!! :D

Tummy upsets are very common amongst people with anxiety. Anxiety has often caused me to have a bad tummy even when I don't feel nervous. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. A lot of us worry about our health so don't feel like you are alone in that..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

henri
08-06-05, 14:05
hi roachford,
welcome to the site!
the mind is an unbelievably powerful thing - you can make yourself feel ill just by thinking about being ill.
see how the antiobiotics go. if the doctor isn't particularly worried then you should take that as a good sign - it means that you are pretty much ok health wise.
there are lots of interesting threads about this on the site, that will reassure you, so have a look around.
henri x

roachford
08-06-05, 14:11
Thank you so much Guys,

I know I'm probably stressing out about something that isnt there but it can be so hard to 'get a grip' and not spin off into a panic for me sometimes.

I agree Henri, I tried to forget about my palp's and sure enough, they slowly got better over time. I only hope I can do the same with my current symptoms. I'll keep you posted........;)

nomorepanic
08-06-05, 19:07
Roachford

Welcome aboard the forum.

There is a new page coming to the website soon about palpitations. I can PM it to you if you want.

As for stomach upset if you mean diarrhoea then I had it for months on end and doc said it was anxiety and nothing bad came of it for me.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"