PDA

View Full Version : Help and advice needed

sheep
27-10-08, 16:03
not sure where this is best posted so i've put it under two categories, hope thats ok.

I don't know what to do anymore, last year my anxiety was pushed over the edge, in short-i went out for a walk, i could hear raised voices to the distance, i didn't think anything of it, for several reasons, 1, i was minding my own business so why would anyone bother me, and 2, i was literally two minutes away from my house. I was wrong, someone (maybe on drugs i don't know) appeared and came racing at me, shouting and screaming with a lump of wood/metal, i ran and he carried on chasing me, shouting at me, i got home without him touching me,

Things went rapidly downhill. if you can't feel safe so close to your own house where can you feel safe? i pretty much stopped going out because whenever i did i felt so anxious, constantly looking around me, loud voices, however far in the distance and i'd start panicking, loud noises, bangs sirens etc panicked me.

Now, nearly a year later i've started going out again. Whenever i hear raised voices now (wherever i'm in the house or out) i start panicking and shaking uncontrollably, i hate busy places because of the noise.
I know that what happened has affected me hugely, even just thinking about what happened that day and even just writing this now my head starts to spin, i shake, my breathing becomes rapid, but its with me all the time, everytime i hear raised voices or footsteps quickening, i panic and it brings it all back.
I don't know what to do, i want to forget what happened but i can't, i've considered going to the doctors but not sure what they'd be able to do, i really don't want any sort of medication, would counselling be the way to go? or maybe something else?
I'd really like any views or suggestions.
thanks

ade
28-10-08, 11:23
hi
i really think you should talk to someone face to face about this.it sounds like you have had a terrifying experience,and that things in normal life are triggering memories.maybe you need to explore the event with someone safe and kind.whatever you do,you need to acknowledge that this event has caused you much pain.i have suffered violent attacks and sexual abuse as a boy and i know how these things can leave a person.you may find certain things are increased as a result,such as hearing sensitivity,which makes sense as a human being as you are 'scanning' for danger.its odd but the very things that are there to help us with danger,can become disordered anxiety.
i wish you much peace and love and hope you can recover soon
ade x

Ozpanic
31-10-08, 03:00
Hi Sheep,
Firstly what a horrible experience, but you have to look at it like this wrong place wrong time, dont let that person have the better of you, that's what your doing really.. Think STFU i am going to keep walking etc. Perhaps you could carry one of them keychain alarm things goodluck OZ :bighug1:

eternally optimistic
01-11-08, 21:16
Hi

What a horrible experience, no wonder you are afraid.

I would definitely say go and see your doctor to see what support they can offer you, hopefully loads.

You probably need some help to get you back on the straight and narrow, otherwise it might eat you up and aggrevate the situation even more.

Counselling might be a good option, it is good to talk to someone about your reactions, which sound perfectly normal.

I hope you get help and that you are able to overcome this all.

BEST OF LUCK

Lynnann
03-11-08, 20:56
Hi Sheep,

I really think you should have a word with your doctor about how you are feeling and the experiences that you are enduring there are other things that can help other than medication. Counselling would definately be an avenue that would be worth exploring.

Getting a personal alarm as Oz suggested might even make you feel more empowered while out and about, I purchased one to help with my panic attacks and it did make me feel a little safer.

Lynnann