PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about derealization

Carver
28-10-08, 01:01
Well, this is my second thread. Perhaps it's not the right section, and even it's wrong to insist with this, but I need you, all of you, 'cos this is the first forum about panic/anxiety/etc where I see there's actually support among users (I won't mention certain forum where there's no support at all, nevermind).

Ok, I'll tell my story for all those who didn't read it.

Ten months ago I went through a really bad trip with pot. It was the first time I smoked. A month later, after suffering a panic attack per week or so, I started with derealization and a very few (though scary enough) episodes of depersonalization.

These are my first twenty days with clonazepam and I'm doing quite well, yet still there are some spurts of unreality and weird sensations. Also I'm undergoing psychotherapy.

There are improvements, I won't deny it. I feel a lot better since the firsts days.

There are feelings that I didn't experienced again (touch wood). For example, the sensation of "I'm not here" or "these is not happening", or "I feel like if I'm going to disolve", or "I can't tell if this is a dream or not", etc. I know I felt really bad... I can remember, though I'm not able anymore to recall those sensations. Those who are mothers in the forum will get my drift. It's like the labors pains when they gave birth to their sons. They can remember them, but not recreate them, do you know what I mean?

But there are something that still scare me, and I want to share them with you, guys, and I'll appreciate SO MUCH if one of you who overcame this would give me some encorauging words.

I was already told (even for some users from here) that cannabis can't ruin your nervous system forever, specially if you only smoked pot once. So I will try not to ask about this again, despite it's almost an obsession of mine.

Well, one thing that happens to me is that if I think about a place or and object which is not right before my eyes, I get sort of frightened... I mean, even when I gain some sense of reality, my heart starts to beat faster and faster... It's very hard to explain.

And also, when I actually have something right before my eyes, I can't believe or understand it. This thing used to happen everytime and in a stronger way before, speccially with people. Now it's very very mild, but it remains there still.

Sometimes I can't tell how near or how far things are. For example, when I was a kid, I remember staring through my window and watch people passing by down the street and merasure them with my fingers. It ammused my the fact that a person could be as tall as my thumb. Do you get it? (I'm not treating you like stupid; I insist on being understood because of my poor english). Now it's the same, and sometimes I wonder if I have to learn what's the world again, like if I was a newborn.

A thing that very irritates me: the things you find on the web. Those stupid books by Daphne Simenon and Madelein Steinberg (I'm not sure about the name of the later) about depersonalization and "the lost of the self"... Grr... I HATE THEM! They are alarmist and sensationalistic and scary as hell. Those things fed my terrors for a very long time, because according to those people, depersonalization may not be due to anxiety disorders and -instead- be an illness per se. This is what scares me the most, I swear, because that would mean that everything about derealization-as-mere-symptom-of-anxiety is a LIE and there's no hope.

The lack of recovery stories scares me, too. And reading about people who has both derealization and depersonalization since YEARS.

Please, I'm very scared. I still can't believe anxiety causes all these "mystical" and supernatural sensations. I used to think that I lost my soul! Not to mention that I was convinced that I'm a squizophrenic.

Please, everyone who has a few encouraging words, please, tell me if everything will be fine... Sometimes I get this horrible feeling that I'm not going to recover my self again, that things won't be again like they used to be. Sometimes I think I sold my soul and ruined my life for a drag of weed.

Well, that's all by the moment. Sorry again if this is the wrong section and if they are currently many other threads like this, but today I feel truly desolated.

Will be back soon and stay tuned to let you know about how I feel.

Thanks a lot in advance for those who post.

Hugs.

djvtech
28-10-08, 02:01
After my first very bad experience with cannabis, I started getting a fair amount of derealization because I have never felt such a feeling before. Then like a week after the incident, I was just sitting in class, and started thinking about something traumatic in my past and then I had a huge wave of it and a panick attack. And for 3 days I felt like nothing was real. Ever since then I have had more anxiety related things happen. Most of my anxiety is related to my fear of having an experience with weed like that again but I havent had any for month. Today I had a bad episode of derealization but it went away aftera couple hours. Almost panicked but just knowing that it does go away and that I have had it before helps a lot. Distraction seems to be what worked, interrupting the thing that is giving you anxiety. I don't know what caused the derelization but I do know it's not some ilness so don't worry. Your brain has just conditioned itself to it, the less you think about and react to it, the more it will ease. :)

AntiLove_SuperStar
28-10-08, 02:45
Kids who think weed is harmless really should read some of this.

Mine wasn't induced by drugs, I never did them, it was natural..well I say natural, didn't feel it!

I don't have experience with cannabis side effects, but plenty with derealization and depersonalization at various points in my teenage years, still get it occasionally. All I can say is, it's scary as hell, but despite being a member/reader of several DP/DR forums years back for ages, I never heard of anyone actually "going mad" from DP/DR, in fact the usual outcome was that it improved gradually over time.

Carver
28-10-08, 21:05
I Just Want To Know If It's Gonna Go Away Someday Or Not!

djvtech
29-10-08, 04:43
That is mostly dependent on you. If you ignore it and stop worrying then it probably will. There are other ways to get rid of it but those are the ones I know that work for me. You get what you focus on so focus on other things as hard as it may seem. Having less anxiety and panic levels help tremendously so do what you can to lower them since derealization/dep is supposed to be caused by your brain protecting itself from psychological trauma.

Accept it, laugh at it, take your focus off of it - give it no power.

alswife
30-10-08, 08:08
I had DP/DR for around 2 years, at the time I thought i'd be like it forever but it gradually faded after time and now have not one single feeling of it for 10 months. I found the key to getting rid of it was to keep myself busy and try not to think about it (very hard i know) but it worked for me.

Joanna.

Ellaruth2005
30-10-08, 22:30
I suffered bouts of extreme anxiety for about three years and DP for the last year of that.
I smoked cannabis when in my teens but I don't know if that contributed to it.
It was hellish, probably the worse time in my life, but I did get myself out of it.
I too have that odd perspective thing where if I stare at a thing long enough it seems really massive or really small and everything seems wierd (I've had that for about 15 years), this was with me a lot when I was going through DP, but I still get that occasionally now when I'm tired, it's v freaky.
Like the others on here once I started to get on with my life and gave the DP less importance thats when it started to go, I think one day I just said ok this is how I feel I'm just gonna have to live with it and I think that was when I started to get better (it took a while though)
The other important aspects of my recovery were:
Regular Excercise
Good Diet
Surrounding myself with people that cared about me
and the most important thing for me was to have a regular routine and settle down and try to restrict big changes in my life, which I've realised definately brings on my anxiety symptoms.
Hope this helps a bit.