PDA

View Full Version : if prozac hasnt worked after a month...

hoover
28-10-08, 09:51
Hey all

Ive been taking prozac for just over a month and im not really noticing anything -i can feel the effects in terms of tiredness and am possibly slightly more stable -although on the whole wouldnt say its doing much for me. I have had a few really good days -( if i felt like i did that every day, i would be one of those people who claim this drug changed their life.)

I do drink - a normal amount -and wonder if this is preventing it from working at all ?

Does anyone recommend I ask my doc for a higher dosage or do you think I should wait it out more ?When should I expect to know ?

With re to switching to a higher dose -could anyone who has done this tell me whether you experience side effects again ?

Thanks so much to anyone who can reply with some advice!
Hoover.

Oceanblue
28-10-08, 10:24
Hey all

Ive been taking prozac for just over a month and im not really noticing anything -i can feel the effects in terms of tiredness and am possibly slightly more stable -although on the whole wouldnt say its doing much for me. I have had a few really good days -( if i felt like i did that every day, i would be one of those people who claim this drug changed their life.)

I do drink - a normal amount -and wonder if this is preventing it from working at all ?

I'd avoid drinking at this moment, let your body settle with the meds first.

Does anyone recommend I ask my doc for a higher dosage or do you think I should wait it out more ?When should I expect to know ?

It does sound that you may need a higher dose.

With re to switching to a higher dose -could anyone who has done this tell me whether you experience side effects again ?

I haven't. Initially, you should just experience side effects when you first start to take the medication.

Thanks so much to anyone who can reply with some advice!

Hope this helps alittle.

Sorry I couldn't spend more time writing, the kids are going crazy here ! :)

Good luck and hope you feel better soon xx

kitttykat
29-10-08, 14:52
Drinking does stop prozac working properly as they are both processed in the liver I think, I felt awful after drinking so I stopped and two weeks after I stopped drinking I started to feel the positive effects of the prozac and the negative effects started to die down, so now I only occaisionally get the tiredness. I do have some really good days and some days where I am not as happy but alot better than I was, I also noticed that the way I reacted to a really bad situation had improved alot.

Hope that helps.

Jaco45er
29-10-08, 15:01
Drinking does lesson the affect of SSRI's.

They can take up to 6 weeks to work, but you should discuss with the doc. I would imagine though he would say cut down on the drink (they did to me when I tried Prozac).

Good Luck

Jaco

Oceanblue
29-10-08, 16:14
Drinking does lesson the affect of SSRI's.

Yep alcohol does decrease the affect of any anti-d's. I would definately avoid whilst you're just beginning your prescription, then after well,... thats up to you. Every now and then shouldn't cause much harm, but that's your choice.

I was told that Fluoxetine takes quite a short amount of time to start working compared to most others, my doc's told me 2-3 weeks max, and I was in a pretty ill state in hospital. I was though taking various other med's together, so this may have made a difference :shrug:.

If you're still feeling low, then it's best to have a talk with your doc and see what he/she suggests.

Good Luck and hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

Yvonne
29-10-08, 16:31
Hoover,

I think you have to give the meds max 8 weeks. Give it six weeks definitely then if no improvement maybe the gp could increase it. Yes, you will suffer side effects again, any change in dosage of medication with cause side effects.

Oceanblue
29-10-08, 16:50
Hmmmm,.. are you confused by any chance Hoover ?:winks:

Slight different opinions to your question,.. Lmao.:roflmao:

Hope you find the right answer for you :flowers: