PDA

View Full Version : More Goods News ,.......

Lottie32
03-12-03, 09:27
Thought this might interest some of you - it did me, but then I've been known to read the bran flakes packet at the breakfast table.

Taken from the NEW SCIENTIST – September, 2003 from an Original Article by Phylida Brown

“ANXIETY – THE COMMON COMPLAINT

Surveys ranging over many continents and countries have found that anxiety disorder is THE most common mental health problem. One in four people will suffer from an anxiety related disorder at some point in their lives. There is no discrimination between class, race, intelligence and wealth.

Anxiety disorders cover Panic Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Many people come to this site believing they are not normal, convinced that they are mad, and that nobody else could possibly understand how they feel, and that there is no cure.

Hopefully, by spending a little time on this site, you will realise that this is not the case – imagine you are at a wedding with another 119 people. Scientists have proved that THIRTY people in the room will actually be suffering/have suffered or will suffer the same problems as you. (Ok all you statisticians out there – I know it doesn’t work exactly like that, but it illustrates a point).

It’s only during very recent times that scientists have begun to research anxiety disorders, doctors have started recognising and treating these issues, and people have finally admitted to suffering. Gone are the days where you were told to “pull yourself together”.

HOW IT ALL STARTS

We all know about fear. It is a response of every animal and human alive, and it’s a good response. It helps us run away from danger, and keeps us alive. The problem occurs when response to fear gets “out of control” and fear is felt when it’s not required. This creates an “irrational” fear, which in turn develops into an anxiety disorder. It leads you to respond inappropriately to your own triggers and developing fear of everyday things – using public transport, answering the telephone, driving.

The only thing that makes all anxiety sufferers different is that each the triggers will vary.

The response will be shared – all though not all symptoms will be felt by all sufferers each time – fear. Tingling skin, raised heart rate, irregular breathing patterns, sweaty palms, nausea, need to open the bowls, lump in the throat, twitching, blurred vision, feeling of being “spaced out”, the list is endless, but most of us have experienced all the symptoms at some point.

We all need to learn fear. That’s how we get to know that a fire is hot, and putting your hand in it will be painful!

Scientists have discovered that the brain stores memories of fear in a different way to ordinary memory. In people who suffer anxiety, these fear memories over ride the ordinary memories, and are much stronger.

The fear memories are stored in your brain as an “emotional memory”, as opposed to rational memory. Unfortunately, emotional memory is pretty much permanent, whilst rational memory can be readily manipulated. Many sufferers of anxiety disorder appear to have a more dominant emotional memory to rational memory.

WHY IT HAPPENS

LeDoux, a neurologist, discovered that a specific area of the brain, the amygdala, is responsible for learned fear. When you are faced with your trigger the amygdala reacts immediately and the learned fear is strengthened. Rational memory is stored differently, and is a more slow response, through the cortex and into the hippocampus.

LeDoux then tracked the brain as individual triggers were released. A signal travels through the brain until it reaches the “high” and “low” roads.

The high road takes information, processes it, then passes it through to the amygdala.

The low road fast tracks information directly to the amygdala. This information is basic, and travel much quicker.

As soon as information is received in the amygdala it is passed straight to the brainstem, which controls involuntary fear.

The body then prepares for flight (panics) before the

Meg
03-12-03, 09:38
Thanks so much for that . It's good to see that it's high on the scientific agenda !

Meg

Lottie32
03-12-03, 10:10
Thats what I thought

And it also links in with Twisters article which mentions the effect of drugs on amygdala in the brain.

It made me feel better, as now I know I'm not "mad" there is a physical reason for me feeling like this!

Charlie

Laurie28
03-12-03, 10:30
I've always had a problem with the fact this was all 'in my head' and found (and if I'm honest still find) it difficult to accept it is nothing physical. I was really hoping something would come up in my tests thaT SAID 'HEY YOUR NOT MENTAL U HAVE A WEE FAULTY WIRE THAT IS EASILY FIXED'

Lottie32
03-12-03, 10:50
Lucky

Now you know it is in your head - but its just a part of your body that isn't working correctly, like the pancreas doesn't function correctly in diabetics! We have a physical ailment!

And hopefully with all this research being done, there will soon be a cure.

We could be the most active, jet setting retired old dears every created - doing all the things we were too scared to do before!!!

Charlie

twister
03-12-03, 13:37
I agree the condition has a physical basis but I dont think this means you cant help yourself too. I think people with anxiety have learnt to panic and created new neural pathways in the amygdala that encourage the fear response. By re-learning not to fear new neural connections can be made and the fear response will eventually dissapear, which is why CBT helps so much - it is a re-education.

Thats my belief anyway and I like to think we can make a difference ourselves....

Emily

Laurie28
03-12-03, 13:42
Totally agrre Emily

I think (at this moment in time anyway)we are the only ones who can help us!!

Love
lucky

Lottie32
03-12-03, 14:11
Emily -

You are so right, but maybe I didn't word my post quite right -

What I meant was it's comforting to know that I'm not "mad", but have a physical reason for being like this, in that part of my body is not functioning properly.

I recognise that CBT does work, but I suppose it's nice to know that there is drug therapy out there too, and that one day a total cure may be found.

It's much better to be able to explain the REASON behind your behaviour as a fault with the amygdala. People somehow seem more sympathetic when they know you have a physical complaint (even if it does manifest itself mentally if you know what I mean).

Understanding what causes it, also makes me believe even more strongly in CBT. Sometimes I feel in limbo land - I'm three millions times better than I was, but just can't seem to push myself over the edge into being "better" - now when I'm down I will just keep re-reading these articles, and can reassure myself that eventually CBT and will power will overcome!

Charlie

diana
03-12-03, 15:08
Hiya Charlie,

Great post!!!! Thanks for the info. Like you it makes me feel better knowing there may be a cure someday for this disorder, and whilst waiting for that cure we know that there are things we can do to help ourselves. Very interesting stuff, like you mention too about being accepted when we have a "physical" problem as opposed to a "mental" problem, that is sooo very true, sad but true. Although on the otherhand having this disorder has made me more sympathetic to everyone elses problems rather it be "physical" or "mental", so I guess there is a bright side to all of this!!!! However I will be awaiting that cure. LOL,,,,,,,,,, This forum has been so good to me. I am so glad to have found it and all the people here. It feels like home to me, my safe place. I have learned so much here, I feel so educated on this disorder now that for most of my days now I am "not" afraid. The only thing I wonder now is if they do find a cure, what will we post about here in "The No More Panic Forum"!!!?? LOL..... Take care all, be positive, and be good to yourselves!!!
Love,
Diana xxx

Scaredtoolong
03-12-03, 16:42
HI aall,

I have to agree with Emily. While this disorder is a physical problem it can be overcome with mental re-training. Fear memories can be replaced with new empowering memories that change the fear response that hits us "out of the blue". Still exciting news that the condition is no longer being dismissed as solely a mental one. Although I don't think I believe in the serotonin theory too much or the SSRI's would help everyone and they don't. At least this is another step forward.

Hugs, Susan