PDA

View Full Version : I have decided it is time to ask my doctor for help?

reddevil
28-10-08, 17:52
Hi all,

I have taken this week off work due to my current symptom (constant smell) as I’m in no fit state to be working with all this worry on my shoulders.

Today, I have decided that I will see my doctor this week and ask for help with my anxiety if this constant smell symptom is all down to my anxiety and stress levels.

I feel it is going to be embarrassing and emotional when I go and ask him this question but I’m going to do it for my myself and my family.

I was wondering if anybody else has done what I’m planning to do and what reaction did you get from the doctor and will they suggest the best medication for me?

Red

bumbles
28-10-08, 18:18
Sorry what do you mean a constant smell I dont understan?

reddevil
28-10-08, 18:31
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37879

HeatherMc
28-10-08, 18:36
Years ago when I had postnatal depression I thought that I could smell gas or burning all the time, I think anxiety and depression messes about with your senses and this could be a manifestation of it, I have heard some people get funny tastes,don't worry about seeing the Doctor it is nothing to be embarassed about, I have seen my doctor and been totally honest about the way I am feeling now, I have been put on meds and given a note for work best to get yourself sorted.

Heather

RosieXXX
28-10-08, 19:18
Hello reddevil,

I think you are doing the right thing going to the doctor - don't be embarrassed - anxiety is an illness in itself, and your doctor should understand this well. You will probably feel a great sense of relief once you have opened up to him about the anxiety; i have no doubt he will be able to help you through this troubling time - he will be able to monitor your progress, and make any adjustments necessary to your medication.

LeeBee
28-10-08, 22:33
When I went to my doc with symptoms (breathlessness and tightness in the chest) I burst into tears when I said that I thought they might be caused by anxiety. My doctor was lovely. She said not to worry and that that was what she was there for. She gave me some tissues and let me cry for a few minutes. Then she listened while I talked about my symptoms and why I thought I was so anxious.

It was such a huge relief to get it out and admit my anxiety. Don't be embarrassed - you almost certainly feel much better once you do it. My doctor offered my antidepressants and sedatives. I turned down the anti-ds but took the sedative. I've not used them very often but it's a comfort knowing they are there. She also suggested some counselling or therapy, which I've not acted on yet, but have thought about it. Somehow it was just a relief to say out loud and made me realise how much anxiety was affecting me. It made it easier to accept many of my symptoms as being the result of anxiety. Good luck, Red. I really hope talking to your doctor provides some relief for you, you've been so wound up and anxious.

Trixie
29-10-08, 05:38
Do you think the smell could be to do with your tonsils/adenoids ect?

reddevil
29-10-08, 08:14
Hi,

I'm not sure what is causing this smell but I need to know....!
I have read so much things on the internet, what the cause could be that it has 100% worried me.

I will try and get in the doctors today / tomorrow but I'm sure my doctor is not in on a Wednesday.

Red

jill
30-10-08, 14:25
Hi Red, :D:hugs:

Its good to hear that your going to your gp about this hun, peace of mind goes along way.

As I said to you in my pm, there are many, many symptoms regarding anxiety, some common, some not so common, MY smell, taste, was NOT so common, BUT, what I DO KNOW IS, it was at its worse when I was acute, suffering panic, high levels of anxiety, living in fear 24/7. Blimey, it frightend the life out of me.

When I first found this great site, I did start to look into my symptoms more and tried to link in when they happend,( I had a hell of alot of other symptoms too I was dealing with, not just this one) allthough this symptom was with me all the time at low level, IT DID come on me in waves, even stronger, sooo strong it stopped me in my tracks. The smell, the taste was soooo overwhelming :ohmy::scared15:

I had to look very, very carfully to see a patten, because it WAS with me all the time, writing things down helped, eg, my thoughts, where I was what I was thinking at the times it came on me in waves even stronger. Mmm, I seen a patter over time.

FOR me, I feel mine was defo, panic, anxiety related, it HAS NOT happend that bad since, NOT AT ALL.

Red, going to your gp is the right thing to do, this IS a postive pathway forward, it may help if you write things down before you go, what you are going to say, how your going to explane this symptom, ohh it can be hard to explane, so write things down hunny.

Please don't feel embarrassed about going to your gp, YOU HAVE a symptom, which needs to be addressed, its worring you, gp's have heard many, many people with lots of symptoms, YOURS is NO different.

Please, let us know how you get on hun

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

reddevil
30-10-08, 15:34
Hi,

I'm in today at 5pm, so I will let you know.

Red

Trixie
30-10-08, 15:37
Hi,

I'm in today at 5pm, so I will let you know.

Red

I am sure you will be :yesyes:

jill
30-10-08, 15:42
Hi Red, :hugs:

Sending you positive vibes hun :bighug1:

Thinking of you

LOVE JILLXXX

raphael
30-10-08, 17:11
good luck with yr appointment x

raphael
31-10-08, 11:25
how did u get on a doctors

jill
03-11-08, 01:06
Hi Red :D:hugs:

Just to say we are thinking of you and wondering how you got on at the doc's,

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

reddevil
04-11-08, 13:00
Hi all,

I’m currently on my dinner break, so I will briefly explain how I got on.

I went to see my doctor and admitted that I have a problem with anxiety and it is starting to rule me and my life and that I'm embarrassed about my condition or do I call it illness?

He was very good, he told me to explain what my fear is and I replied "The dreaded C".

He said not to be embarrassed because in the waiting room, 1 in 4 people will be suffering with anxiety symptoms etc, and the worst time for a person with anxiety will be now, when the dark nights are here.

He has told me to higher my dose of amatriptyline to 50mg and to take a blood test, which will help me accept that my body is normal.

Not much more was said but at least my doctor knows what I’m suffering with and my worries.

I’m just finding anxiety makes us lonely, when we are normal people from the outside to people but we carry so much worry on our shoulders that from time to time, we are going to get upset and need help.

Take care everybody, your all true friends.

Red

jill
05-11-08, 23:20
Hi Red :D:hugs:

Thank you for taking the time to update your thread, we where all thinking about you :hugs:

Anxiety can be a lonely place hun, but you know, we are all here to help and support you as much as we can.

It was great to here your doctor was nice and reasuring, axniety is dame hard and if you have an understanding gp, ohh boy, that goes along way.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

reddevil
11-11-08, 19:06
Hi all,

Blood test results came back normal with no further action.

Red

yanksforever
11-11-08, 20:29
Thanks Red, for updating. I was really worried. CHeers bro. You're not alone.

Trixie
11-11-08, 22:00
Hi all,

Blood test results came back normal with no further action.

Red

See, nothing to worry about after all.:flowers:

jill
11-11-08, 22:22
Hi Red, :D:hugs:

Ohh thats great news, that your bloods came back normal :yesyes:

Thank you for letting us know.

YOU TAKE CARE :hugs:

LOVE JILLXXX

Nemo
12-11-08, 00:27
I broke down in the GPs office last week, after two weeks of constant worry about a set of symptoms, I discussed councelling with him and he is going to send me a leaflet. He also sent me for tests which were clear alough I am still worried. I will see him again in the next few days to try to arrange the councelling we discussed I think... this takes over my life sometimes and its hard to enjoy things and think of the future when I worry about serious illness. Its even spread to worrying about my husbands symptoms when he gets them!