PDA

View Full Version : Feeling awful

ShirleyM
08-06-05, 21:06
Hi All

I used this forum about a year ago when I had really bad general anxiety which made me really ill at the time. I got slightly better although still had the odd feelings of panic. My biggest problem is my what has become almost an obsession with death and dying, I look at the newpapers about people who have died suddenly to see what they died of and if I can relate it to any symtoms that I have, if I hear of someone being ill or dying I wnat to know what they died of and the symptoms. (this sounds awful when I write it down) I have an awful dread of getting seriously ill and dying.

Anyway what all this obsession has led to is the start of my anxiety again. I havehad really bad headaches & dizziness over the past few weeks, (of course i have diagnosed myself with a brain tumour already). Then the panics have started when I am shopping and I have to get out of the shop right away. I have been feeling awful at work all day and just counting the hours to go home.

I don't know why I am like this I have a good job, nice home and family but I can feel the anxiety creeping back as bad as ever.

How can I get over this obsession with death and dying.:(

nomorepanic
08-06-05, 21:12
Hi Shirley and welcome back - good to see that you came back for help here when you needed it.

You may not have seen a new page on the website if you have been away that long - take a look at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

It may help you too.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

seh1980
08-06-05, 21:12
hi Shirley,

Welcome back!! :)

A lot of us have a fear about our health. I always think there's something wrong with me. You need to keep telling yourself that there's nothing wrong with you. The more you tell yourself this, the sooner you will start to believe it. Also try to laugh at yourself for being silly. It's important that we can find these things 'silly' as sometimes these are either laugh or cry situations..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

josiepickle
09-06-05, 07:26
Hi Shirley
Hope it helps a bit to know that others feel exactly like you do. I could have written your posting, honestly!!! I also have terrible fears just like you, but with the help and support of my GP, friends and family I can say now that I am starting to be able to deal with these feelings more effectively. The biggest hurdle for me was asking for help and admitting TRULY how I was feeling.
8 weeks ago I was unable to even go to work and my mum had to come and stay to get me through 1 particularly bad week.
You will get through this Shirley because you have before, hold onto that thought.
I feel a bit wobbly today and when I get to work I'll tell a couple of my colleagues who have been fantastic support and hopefully get through the day.
Stay positive, best wishes
Jo x

henri
09-06-05, 16:07
hi shirley,
welcome back.
your fear is a common one - there are lots of interesting threads about death and dying on the website that you should check out.
health anxiety is also really common - even though i think i'm a mature adult, not prone to hypochondria or anything, when i start panicking, the most ridiculous thoughts pass through my head (i'm going to die, there's definitely something wrong with my heart/lungs etc). i agree with sarah when she says it's important to tell yourself your just being silly, to try and talk yourself down.
take care,
henri

ShirleyM
09-06-05, 18:53
Hi All

Thanks for you postings this had made me feel a bit better knowing that others feel the same way. Iam trying to condition myself into not thinking about dying any minute hard though, today at work I took a kind of numbness feeling where my hands and legs felt numb and weak but I tried to ignore it and guess what I'm still here to tell the tale.

Thanks again
Shirley