PDA

View Full Version : I "Could" and I "Will"

Bill
29-10-08, 04:54
When we live in fear of something, whenever we think of our fear we think to ourselves it "could" happen. We then suffer anxiety symptoms which then make us feel our fear "will" happen which is why our thoughts change from "I could" to "I will".

However, we don't think this way about the lottery because winning the lottery doesn't normally frighten us. We only focus on our fears because they do!

Fears love to keep us thinking about them by keeping our attention because they know if we leave them alone, we'll no longer need them.

Sometimes though we have to be cruel and say to our fears we don't care about them anymore and let them do what they like in retaliation against us. The trouble is though, they can't because they have then lost all their powers so they go off to annoy someone else.

You know what happens when you stand into a mirage? You don't get wet! Try standing into your fear and the result will be the same. "I could" and "I will" evaporate into thin air leaving us to enjoy ourselves!:hugs:

bumbles
29-10-08, 07:58
I will thanks.:yesyes:

Missy69
29-10-08, 08:18
Nice post Bill, thank you x

BNCfan
29-10-08, 08:30
Great one Bill! Reading your post was a brilliant, positive way to start another day. THANKS.

Patty
29-10-08, 09:55
Hi Bill,:)

Thanks for the lovely positive post. :yesyes: :yesyes:

Best wishes :D

titchjd
29-10-08, 09:57
Hi ....
I totally agree that this is what we have 2 do as have had cbt etc but I just cant do it as when the anxiety and panic hit everything elses goes out the window and it takes over .x

x

Bill
30-10-08, 17:55
CBT is like a tool and like all tools, we have to learn how to operate it. However, if we feel too afraid and forget how to use a tool, we create barriers preventing it from functioning properly.

If we see a ghost:scared15: (since it's halloween!:sofa: ), we can either freeze because we focus on the frightening symptoms that our fear creates or we can try reminding ourselves it's just a ghost and we've actually nothing to fear from it.:noangel:

However, it takes practise so instead of thinking about wanting and trying to run away from the ghost, we need to stand firm and let it say "BOO" as much as it wants until we prove to ourselves that's all it'll ever do. Once we realise we're just being scared by a ghost that just loves saying "BOO", we then learn to say "BOO" back and the ghost ends up running away!:lisa: