PDA

View Full Version : Please Read This Before You Withdraw An Ssri

xxkatiebxx
30-10-08, 16:14
Please read and take notice of this before you begin to withdraw an SSRI. This is IMPORTANT information.

3-4 weeks is NOT enough time to wean off an SSRI, no matter how long you have been on the medication. Despite what your doctor says, please believe me, this is not enough time.

Reduce your medication over a number of months (3-4), using liquid form of the drug if you can. If not, break your tablets up and DO THIS SLOWLY.

I came off escitaprolam 10mg over 4 weeks and have been in absolute hell for the last 10 days. The symptoms are quite simply horrendous.

You might be one if the lucky ones who comes off these meds and feels nothing - but its not worth the risk. I have done much research on this subject, and its very common, but unfortunately the drugs companies do not put this on their literature.

Please message me if you need any help, I do not want people to suffer as I have.

Kate

Jaco45er
30-10-08, 16:23
Katie you can't dispense information like this and use comments like "despite what your doctor says".

I understand that you may have had a bad experience (I did myself with meds), but anyone on meds, coming off meds or thinking about taking meds should take advice from a trained GP, not a forum site.

I did think it was months rather than weeks to ween off meds but all the same, people should take advice from their GP, or 2nd opinions from GP's.

Maybe what you mean is "question your GP, and get a 2nd opinion if he tells you to stop too abruptly" :)

xxkatiebxx
30-10-08, 20:29
Jaco45er,

My post was a warning to people, because withdrawing very slowly could prevent some very nasty, very distressing effects. People will hopefully read this and know that this 'recommended' withdrawal period is not long enough. What I am saying is, its not worth the risk.

The reason I used the phrase 'despite what your doctor says' is because the general consensus in the medical profession is that 3-4 weeks is the recommended withdrawal period. I saw 2 doctors who told me the same thing. Unfortunately I didn't think to look online. What I have since found is hundreds of people suffering beacuse of SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome.

I was obviously not saying 'ignore your GP and listen to me the SSRI guru:winks: '. However because I 'took advice from a trained GP and not a forum site', I was in near-suicidal hell for 2 weeks. How I wish I had looked on these type of forums before I began withdrawal.

quote 'Katie you can't dispense information like this and use comments...'

erm, yes I can, this is a forum that promotes freedom of speech :D whether people choose to listen and take this info on board is obviously up to them, I sincerely hope they do.

Katie

Cathy V
30-10-08, 21:35
Katie, i think you came off your meds too quickly, and the withdrawal is more intense. I did it many years ago with benzos and the doc had to put me back on them again and take it more slowly. I know you really want to try for a baby but you have to get yourself well first too, and dont be afraid of taking something whilst pregnant, alot of women do and it makes the diifference between getting through the pregnancy happy or suffering unecessarily. Hope you stay well whatever you decide.

Take care
cathy xxx

xxkatiebxx
30-10-08, 21:58
hi kathy

thanks for your message:)

You are exactly right, I came off the meds too quickly and as a result suffered terrible withdrawal symptoms.

As for my mental health, well thank goodness I feel fine - the problems I had withdrawing were purely physical. I'm more than ready now to move on and try and have a family. I know some people do take their meds during pregnany, its all down to personal need at the end of the day - I was lucky enough to feel ok to come off them and I am soooo glad i did

take care

katie

Pink Panic
31-10-08, 20:28
Hi Katie

I can't really comment on meds and withdrawl as i have limited knowledge of them but i would like to say i'm pleased to hear you are feeling fine and wish you all the best in trying for a family. :hugs:

Love
PP
xxx

bab
31-10-08, 21:09
Hi Katie
Thank you so much for your message - also just to say im glad your doing well but if it happens that you need to go back on meds i was on citalopram through both my pregnancies and my boys are fine (touch wood) my obstetrician says at least a third of pregnant women are on anti deps x

Yvonne
31-10-08, 21:51
Katie

I went through shere hell when withdrawing from Seroxat. My new gp (I had just moved) saw how well I was and suggested Icome off the meds. She took the dosage down far too quickly which resulted in me going into withdrawal syndrome. Withdrawal Syndrome didn't even used to be recognised by doctors or shrinks but it certainly is these days!

My quick withdrawal resulted in me being referred to a psychiatrist who was pretty livid at the quick withdrawal from this particular medication. The gp had got Seroxat mixed up with Prozac which has a far longer half life. That's gp's for you. Actually, I'm not putting all gp's down that would be wrong, but they really do not have enough knowledge of these sort of medications.

Lots of times on this site I read posts that say that people have been told to just stop their medication - I've read a couple recently and it makes me so mad! It just should not be done. I find it hard to believe that a gp can tell a patient to just stop taking an anti depressant which they may have been on for months. It's insane - and dangerous.

Katie, I know why you wrote the post - you are warning people because you have been through hell just like I did (and many many many others). If anyone wants to see how bad withdrawal from meds can be look at Seroxatmad forum. I should add that Seroxat is one of the hardest meds to come off so please others on other anti depressants don't let this distress you.

Anti depressants should be tapered down slowly and gradually - if the patient is suffering badly then the medication has to be raised up a bit again. Can't go into all the ins and outs now but loads of info on the net.

Glad you are feeling better Katie.

xxkatiebxx
31-10-08, 23:01
Hi Yvonne,

you are spot on - everything you have said is exactly how I feel, and I am just as angry as you about all this. It's so important to know that there are other people out there in the same position.

Because I feel so strongly about this, I have written an article using myself as a case study, and sent it to 12 national magazine editors yesterday. I have already had a response from the news editor of one of the largest mags in the country - I'm over the moon!

With a bit of luck I want to get this information out there, so people know that they aren't alone. And if people know more about SSRI withdrawal syndrome then hopefully we can prevent some suffering too.

Babs & Pink Panic, thank you for your well wishes:)

Yvonne
01-11-08, 09:16
Katie

There's already been huge media interest on this subject to be honest. Dunno whether you know but Glaxo Smith Kline are being sued for literally millions in USA in respect of Seroxat.

If you want to research the subject more then please visit the Seroxatmad forum - you will read stuff there that will fully describe the shere torture of coming off these meds and the lengths people go to in order to alleviate withdrawal syndrome.

Whatever magazine it is then you ought to also refer them to the Seroxatmad forum - although this forum focuses on Seroxat I personally think most ssris cause nasty withdrawal effects.

Take care

xxkatiebxx
01-11-08, 11:05
HI Yvonne,

Agree there has been a lot of media interest over Seroxat the last few years but the problem is people don't seem to know about the actual withdrawal syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome, and they also don't relate the problems with Seroxat on to other SSRI's available.

I knew Seroxat was a hideous drug to withdraw from (friend of mine has been taking it for years and struggles to reduce or miss a dose), but I didn't connect it to Cipralex the drug I was taking if you see what I mean?

Thanks for the tips on researching for the article, and for your message sweetie xx

bab
01-11-08, 12:52
Hi all,

I came off seroxat so so slowly after trying a few times before and having to go back on it. While I succeeded in coming off it I have to say I have never been the same person and this is 10 yrs later. I worry that these meds will have long term effects - im on cipralex now and i know ill be on meds in the long term but i worry what they might do to me in long term. when I was 20 I begged my doc for tablets and they didnt think i needed them - occassionally when i went out i felt like i couldnt breathe but it was manageable to an extent. i think i thought it was cool to be on an anti deppressant dont ask me why - anyway she relented and gave me a relatively new drug - seroxat - was on it for 6 yrs although tried to come off a couple of times - when i eventually managed to come off it i was ok for couple of months and then became so ill with all these new anxiety symptoms - i literally was nuts - i believe me going on them in the first place caused this to happen. im not saing that people dont need them - cos now i certainly do - but i wish i had never gone on them as maybe i wouldnt have been like i am now - or maybe I would - who the hell knows? - sorry for rant and waffle xxx

xxkatiebxx
01-11-08, 16:30
HI Babs

You and me both honey - had I known the hell I would go through coming off them I would definately have thought twice before taking them.

Saying all this, antidepressants of course have their place and helped me through a seriously bad time- I just want people to have all the information and be fully informed before taking them. I also want people to know how important a slow, slow weaning period is. I was on cipralex too by the way.

Take care, and rant any time you like!!!

katie:D