PDA

View Full Version : I'm the classic Jitter Bug....

Dthomas2301
30-10-08, 20:41
Hello Everyone,
It's difficult to know where to start, but hear goes.
I'm a 48yr old 'boy', and still trying to grow up. I remember vividly the experience of my very first full blown panic attack at the age of 11. Since then I have had many periods of intense anxiety, resulting in hundreds of panic attacks. Some of them have been a series of 'rolling' attacks. Where I have come out of one, and then straight into another. Then I have had long periods, where I have successfully controlled them. Having said all of that, I am always a stray thought away from the next one.

I've spent many an hour talking to councilors and therapists. Very few have ever been able to get through my untrusting nature. I've always felt people were saying things just to make me feel good. And not really trying to find out why I am so highly strung/sensitive. I always have my 'safe place' that I run back to, and when I say run, it's always a dizzy rushed experience. I have sometimes called myself an authority on panic attacks, how wrong I am. The one consolation I have is that I can see that there are many of you out there, just like me. I think I also get a fair few ectopic heartbeats, that help fuel my anxiety, and cause me to slide deeper into my self obsession. What I mean by self obsession, is I tend to pay a lot of attention to my breathing (often trying to control it myself, rather than let the natural process do it's job), and constantly being aware of my own heartbeat.

Anyway people, that's a little bit of me for you to get a feeling for. I hope to meet some of you, so we can compare notes and experiences. And hopefully help make this whole experience much easier to cope with.

Thanks for reading this far....Derek :wacko:

bottleblond
30-10-08, 20:44
Hi Derek

Welcome along to NMP

Lovely to meet you! :smile:

Lisa
xxx

lorac
30-10-08, 21:17
Hi Derek

Welcome to the site you will meet many people on here who totally understand what you are going through. You will get some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

pooh
30-10-08, 21:44
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Derek... men NEVER grow up LOL. Hope we can be of assistance and support to and for you

Pooh x

Veronica H
31-10-08, 15:13
:welcome: Derek. glad you have found us.

Veronica

leonard
01-11-08, 11:02
Hi Derek

Welcome to NMP. there are a few blokes on this site who suffer the same. Pm me if you wish.

Leonard

Dthomas2301
02-11-08, 09:38
Hi everyone, and many many thanks.
I guess to age old adage of a 'problem shared..etc' means a lot on this site. And it's been a boon finding it.
Whatever would we do without the benefit of the Internet community.
Once again thank you all for making me feel so welcome.
There are many people around me, that seem to just seem to pay lip service to my 'everyday problems', and very few that can actually relate in any beneficial way.
It's nice to know that there are other's out there that are afflicted by this beastly condition, and will allow me to 'compare notes', and in finding different coping mechanisms.
I'll start my journey, by browsing the many pages on this site, and look forward to meeting and chatting with you all again.

Thank you
Derek

weeble40
02-11-08, 19:23
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx