PDA

View Full Version : Declined diazepam

steveo
30-10-08, 23:57
Hello friends! Hope everyone is well. Ill try to keep this one brief. Ive been doing ok for the past few years (odd problem here and there but nothing major). Since starting uni, everything has just got worse so I decided to take a trip back to the docs! Asked to see a physciatrist (spelling mistake). I was also offered diazepam but I got scared so I said no thanks.
My question is.... does/has anyone taken/took it? Some days I think I could do with something to knock me out for a bit but Im worried I will become dependant on them.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Many thanks
Steveo
xx

kendo59
31-10-08, 00:17
Have you tried any over-the-counter meds?
like Kalms?

emma81
31-10-08, 00:18
Hiya

I am prescribed diazepam at the lowest dose 2mg and have been for quite some time, but it definetly doesn't knock me out. I only use them as and when the panic becomes unbearable and im allowed to take up to 6mg at a time if it is really awful but all they do is take the edge off things and make my brain not think so much, sort of gently relax me. I was worried about becoming dependant on them but have used them for about a year now - in bad weeks where the panic is very bad i can use them a few times a week - then other times i maybe only need them once every 7-10 days so i have completely avoided becoming dependant on them.

Now i have started hypnotherapy and started making more progress in the last 2 weeks than i have in the last 2 years and havent used diazepam once in the last couple of weeks. GP's are becoming less likely to just hand diazepam out these days and mine only did when he could see i was becoming virtually housebound because i was panicking about absolutely everything and mine certainly wont put them on any kind of repeat prescription - you only use them as and when you REALLY need them.

Hope that helps,
Emma x

Baby_Doll
31-10-08, 00:49
Perhaps accept the prescription,but only take them when you really need to?...not on a regular basis. Generally doctors nowadays only prescribe them for a very limited period or for sporadic usage (when panic attacks come on etc.) I don't take them personally...but I would if given the option,my doctor is against using those types of medications so wouldnt suggest it...and I can't very well ask outright for them obviously :(

Do a bit of research but most importantly only do what you feel comfortable with!

Good luck :) x

Ozpanic
31-10-08, 04:05
I've taken diazepam for 15yrs now on off.. first 10 like 10mg or so, last 5yrs 2mg , i also tried Klonopin recently Clonezepam wow good stuff.... But i worry re dependance even at 0.5mg.. the benzo's offer quick relief so can see how easy it , and CBT is longer way round but longer lasting. No harm though taking small amount to get you back on you feet.:winks:

Veronica H
31-10-08, 08:43
Hi Stevo

I have only taken 1 of my diazipam tablets in three months,.5mg. It made me calm and very sleepy for 2 days therefore gives a break from the worst of the symptoms. I might take one when I have to go to the dentist next but as they are addictive and are not a long term cure, I would advise only using them occasionally.

Veronica

Rebecca77
31-10-08, 13:53
Hi Stevo, I have been perscribed diazepam for many years now, I think the key is to only take them when you really need to, they are very useful for panic and anxiety but have to be used in moderation. When I am having a extemely bad time I may take them for a couple of days to see me through but other times I may go weeks without using them. They are not a quick fix though, if you were to take them regulary you would soon find the dose the dr perscribed would not be enough so to benefit from these drugs you have to be responsible. They take the edge of anxiety but depending on your dose they will not make you too sleepy and unable to function. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best. xx

charlish74
31-10-08, 15:05
was given them by my gp 5mg 3 times a day, they really did help but did make me sleepy so i now take one in the morning at that seems to be enough i may take one at nite time if i carnt sleep, i to was worried about them but to be honest they did and still work for me mostly take one about 20 mins before i go out so im calm and relaxed then may have a nap if i can in the afternoon good luck xx

anx mum
31-10-08, 19:18
hi im bev. my doctor has perscribed me diazapam does help a little but does make u very sleepy.

mf
31-10-08, 20:44
I have Lorazepam which is very similar to diazepam, it can be highly addictive thats why doctors do not normally give out large quantities or repeat prescriptions without seeing you.. I only take half a tablet when i am really having a bad anxiety/panic attack , it does calm me down,relaxes the mind and makes me feel a little drowsy.. They do help and i find it a relief to know that i have them for when i am having a particulalry bad episode, i have never become addicted to them......

Dawn2
31-10-08, 22:00
Hello friends! Hope everyone is well. Ill try to keep this one brief. Ive been doing ok for the past few years (odd problem here and there but nothing major). Since starting uni, everything has just got worse so I decided to take a trip back to the docs! Asked to see a physciatrist (spelling mistake). I was also offered diazepam but I got scared so I said no thanks.
My question is.... does/has anyone taken/took it? Some days I think I could do with something to knock me out for a bit but Im worried I will become dependant on them.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Many thanks
Steveo
xx
I have taken diazapam for yrs,and only use them when I really have to.Diazapam only becomes adictive if taken regually(spelt wrong) over two weeks.
I hope this helps

pinkpiglet
31-10-08, 22:28
Yeah, diazapam is really only suppose to be used in as and when situations. My doctor prescribed me some a few months back, when i was really really bad. I only took them if i felt very anxious or if i had to go somewhere and couldnt face it. Diazapam don't knock you out but 2mg is enough to take the edge off. My doctor will not prescribe me any more (and made this very clear). My mum is addicted to benzo's after 33 years use so i am grateful that my doctor is vigilant. I don't have any history of addictive behaviour but you never know how dependant you will get on meds.

margaret911
31-10-08, 23:09
Diazapam is a very good medication if used sensibly. I have been prescribed them before and have only taken one when I have felt like I have had enough of this anxiety thingy i am going through and they really work. I would never take one unless i really needed to but they are a very usefull medication and have kept a lot of people going. Hope this helps, 2mg taked the edge off but a 5mg makes me feel like I want to lie down
love Mags xxxxxxx

NumbForest
01-11-08, 19:59
Hi,
I took diazapam for 2 years.
I didnīt know I was addicted untill I decided I didnīt need them any more and my whole world turned upside down. I only managed three days off them, i went to the docīs, this is when i lived in spain, and i told them what had happened and he put me striaght back on them, i slowly reduced my dosage the next time i came off them but it was hard and there are still times when i wish i had them. I was sometimes taking 15mg a day. i was out of it most of the time. However I will say this, if you are careful and ONLY use them when you are in the full swing of a panic attac and there is no comming down then you have less chance of becoming dependant.
When I started on them I didnīt know what they were and so I took them at the slightest sign of a panic attack and thats how i became addicted, i believed in my mind it was the only wayto stop a panic attack.
Your doctor should monitor you to make sure you are not taking more than you should be, and if at any point whilst your taking them you feel you are becoming even slightly dependant on them, go and speak to your doctor and confront it straight away. That way it will lessen the dependancy.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Take care
Samm
X

Jaco45er
01-11-08, 20:04
Hi Steveo

I was given 10 of them by a GP in 2003, still have 8 left.

It's horses for courses bud but I was very reluctant to take them, as I feel meds only tackle the symptoms not the cause, and they can be addictive after a few weeks.

I have had beta blockers before, I found them useful in calming me during times of stress.

Jaco