PDA

View Full Version : Old age wrinkles worry..feeling past it

phil06
31-10-08, 13:48
I'm still worried about the age thing I turned 20 this month and it's too old. I'm starting to look for wrinkles and I can see one round the smile at each side and one between my eye brows which has made me worry and I googled it and it said some weight loss can cause it. I lost a bit of weight with work so that's made me worry even more. I stay up late or go nights out this makes me worry as I heard alcohol causes age and no sleep.

My biggest fear is going bald, wrinkles or being stuck with some old woman. I'm struggling to feel positive about being 20 and it looks like it will be all downhill until you are old and grey and can't walk. I know there's no difference between 19 and 20 but I feel it's a big gap.

Anything I do I just feel like I'm past it, been there done it and it brings on obessions and horrible thoughts..even playing the xbox I'd feel like I've done it all with a PS2 and with a woman I'd feel..i've done all this and I like it all but I feel past it..is this anxiety making me feel this way?

Does anybody else feel this way?

Piglet
31-10-08, 14:12
You know I had to smile at this thread, are you taking the p*ss - you are 20 years old love and have your whole life ahead of you.:yesyes:

I was just thinking to myself today (I'm 46 btw and have 3 kids around your age) how much I just no longer care about getting older from the vanity point of view and I'm a woman for goodness sake that's our job. :ohmy:

Yes I do have wrinkles and I most certainly no longer have the bod I did years ago but as long as I can keep fit and healthy that will be brilliant. I looked in my eyes the other day and thought "Nah you're still as bright as a button our kid". :yesyes:

Try to learn to see age as beautiful thing not a stick to beat yourself with!

Big hugs from old Piglet :flowers:

Missy69
31-10-08, 14:21
Me to piglet lol,
Phil, did you hit the 2 button instead the 7 there mate, omg you are so young, im 38 and im still young. You really need to relax and enjoy life hun, and seriously you cant possibly feel you have done everything and feel past it.
Cheer up kid you have many many many years infront of you and plenty to experience.
Take care

Franz
31-10-08, 14:28
Phil,

If you can see that it's irrational to feel old at 20, then I can sympathise, because all of us here have irrational worries, but if you really do feel that 20 is "too old" then as someone twice your age I can't offer much sympathy since I clearly count as one of the crusties you despise.

That said, I do remember at your age not wanting to get any older, and assuming that you must feel more dead than alive by the time you're 40.

I also was obsessed about going bald. As a punishment for my obsession, I went bald when I was young - in my late 20s.

There's a paradox about getting older: as it happens, you lose the fear of ageing, but that loss is actually a gain.

All I can say is that 30 might seem old to you now, but it won't when you're 30. You will probably look back at yourself at 20 and see a child.

F

june
31-10-08, 14:30
I am not being nasty:blush: honest.
BUT look at photos of REAL people those lines at the corners of your eyes are called laughter lines -they make your personality.

next look at look at photos of people who have had face lifts or botox - their face has no character. they can not smile, they have no expression:ohmy:

Fear of going bald? of being old? Shaun Connery, and the bloke out of the Die Hard films????? THEY are so famous and still classed as sex symbols.
Most of the pictures in magazines etc have been AIRBRUSHED if you saw these people for real you would be stunned.
look at your self with pleasure. do not critisize.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
take care
june

BNCfan
31-10-08, 16:37
I don't mean to be unkind, but as one of the "old women" you despise so much - I'm 65 and can still give some youngsters a run for their money on a good day - STOP LOOKING FOR WRINKLES etc, at 20 there won't be any and by the time there are you won't care, because hopefully you will have realised by then how lucky you are to still be alive and healthy. Speaking of 'oldies', when I was 20 I thought Mick Jagger was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen - I still think the same and he's 65 as well! Looks are only skin deep, it's what's inside that counts.

chris-e
31-10-08, 18:38
Jeeesus,are you serious? wait till you get to 52.I didn't ever think about age till i was 49 then turning 50 did hurt a bit.But to worry at being 20 is a totally irrational fear , it is very very very young so quit worrying and enjoy it :-)

mf
31-10-08, 18:52
Blimey.. you are just a babe at 20 and the last thing you can be seriously worried or thinking about is being old, tell us you are just having a laugh.. A lot of people acutally improve with age and have more character.. I was full of hang ups about my looks until i got into my thirties and for the first time started to feel comfortable in my own skin and had some confidence.. I know of an awful lot of young men that actually find older women more attractive and sexy...

phil06
19-11-08, 23:12
I am a bit worried by the wrinkles thing

I think the smile wrinkles are normal but in the middle of my eye brow there is like a big line and a small one under it and it stands out like a big crease it's been like that a while.

Not sure if its a shaving mark or if its a wrinkle..will i get wrinkles at 20 and how do I get rid of it?

xBettyBoopx
20-11-08, 03:28
ah to be 20 again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

If this is a joke then shame on you. If it's real, then you need to get some help for OCD, 'cause that's what it sounds like. Being obssessed with wrinkles at your age is very extreme. However, there are lotions & potions you can slap on your face & pills & stuff if you are determined not to get wrinkles.:scared15:

I am 52 & have no wrinkles but have never used moisturiser in my life, it's something that runs in the family. Are your parents wrinkly? (sorry) & is your dad bald? The crease in the middle of your eyebrow is called 'a worry line', so try n stop worrying & live every day as it comes.

And you don't wanna be getting botox, face lifts stuff & end up looking like a thunderbird puppet as shown below:roflmao::roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2119806775_2eece8aff0.jpg

Personally I would rather be with a man with wrinkles, than a man who looks like Burt Reynolds, lol.:shrug: :shrug:

Els
x

Bill
20-11-08, 03:53
My mother who is in her 80's says wrinkles are "character lines" because they give a face "character" meaning that a face without wrinkles is a face without personality. Character lines can be very attractive because when a person with wrinkles smiles, their face can light up with feeling and emotion.

I would much rather a person to look natural than something artificially created.

However, the more important issue is not how someone looks but what they are inside which should also be natural with no falseness.:winks:

redballoons
20-11-08, 07:12
everybody has lines on their faces - its just because of smiling etc... even my children do and they are 4 and 2!, I am 25 and have no more lines than i had a few years ago so thats at least 5 more years you dont have to worry about,

the other thing is that marks/lines getting deeper or more noticable especially in men is just part of going from looking like a teenager to looking like a fully grown man - normal and to most people (men and any fiture women you meet desirable!)

please dont worry :hugs:
sophie

Jaco45er
20-11-08, 07:27
I am confused.

I have an XBOX 360 and I can't for the life of me find it to be like a woman. Is there a software upgrade I can get? Can I choose what she looks like?

I know anxiety can make you worry about all kinds of stuff, but old at 20 is a new one on me lol.

Could you imagine Clint Eastwood in all them spag westerns without the wrinkles? he wouldn't have looked so cool.

titchjd
20-11-08, 08:38
OMG...old at 20 ..yr havin a laff .
M8 Im 1 of them old women prob at the ancient age of 35 ......
Us oldies like a man with lines and wrinkles ...we dont want sum puppy faced boy so embrace your wrinkles even though remember you are 20 not 80....
You have sooooo much 2 learn m8y.saying that u feel like you have been there dun that and it will boring with a woman or on your 360..(still laffin at that sorry )....is so wrong each woman or game is diferent m8 .....x

If you really do have issues then id stop worryin about the wrinkles and go see yr Gp cus serious m8 old at 20 you need 2 get it sorted .

EmmaJane
20-11-08, 08:54
flipping eck, 20. I wish. Lol...... Im waiting to hit the big 40 next year and I am really looking forward to it. As you get older, you don't feel older. It kind of grows on you.

Live your life now, before you look back and find you have wasted all those years with worry, about getting old. We all get old, but that doesnt been we have to live our lives waiting for it. When we are older, we can still live a life.

belle
20-11-08, 09:30
My biggest fear is going bald, wrinkles or being stuck with some old woman. I'm struggling to feel positive about being 20 and it looks like it will be all downhill until you are old and grey and can't walk. I know there's no difference between 19 and 20 but I feel it's a big gap.

If that's your 'biggest' fear then you've not got too much to worry about.
I would go as far as saying as that i find this post a teeny bit offensive!

Franz
20-11-08, 11:23
I am a bit worried by the wrinkles thing

I think the smile wrinkles are normal but in the middle of my eye brow there is like a big line and a small one under it and it stands out like a big crease it's been like that a while.

Not sure if its a shaving mark or if its a wrinkle..will i get wrinkles at 20 and how do I get rid of it?
Oh for Heaven's sake. As you get older you will get wrinkles.

Unless you have some kind of premature ageing disease, you will not get any significant wrinkles until your late 30s, at the earliest.

Do you have more wrinkles than other people your age? I doubt it. And if not, what makes you think you're so special that you shouldn't age like everyone else?

There's a thin line (pardon the phrase) between neurosis and vanity :\

belle
20-11-08, 13:09
Unless you have some kind of premature ageing disease, you will not get any significant wrinkles until your late 30s, at the earliest.

I started going grey many years ago (sadly it runs in my family. Dad was completely grey by 25). I have more wrinkles that i'd care to mention and for a women of 33 its really not nice to have all these signs of aging, but unless i get them filled with some kind of poison, they're going nowhere!!!

I personally think men look a load better when they start aging. I reckon most women would be here with me when i say that we don't want a fella looking like a 'boy'....

Diane O'Brien
20-11-08, 13:32
Hi Phil06

Is this a purely new worry or have you always worried about the way you look. You might look in the mirror and see something different and how does it affect your social life. If it really affects you socially then you may have to go to your doctors. I,m not saying you have this but body dysmorphic anxiety can make your appearance look different. I,m not saying this is you at all but if it is affecting your every day life then you need help whatever age you are.

Take Care hun :bighug1:

Diane O'Brien
20-11-08, 13:34
OMG...old at 20 ..yr havin a laff .
M8 Im 1 of them old women prob at the ancient age of 35 ......
Us oldies like a man with lines and wrinkles ...we dont want sum puppy faced boy so embrace your wrinkles even though remember you are 20 not 80....
You have sooooo much 2 learn m8y.saying that u feel like you have been there dun that and it will boring with a woman or on your 360..(still laffin at that sorry )....is so wrong each woman or game is diferent m8 .....x

If you really do have issues then id stop worryin about the wrinkles and go see yr Gp cus serious m8 old at 20 you need 2 get it sorted .

Hey speak for yourself im 37 LOL

Jaco45er
20-11-08, 13:35
Tha pic of Burt Reynolds reminds me of a dog sticking it's face ouf of the window of a fast car.

never2late
20-11-08, 13:37
Phil, I am a man, and as you can see from my profile picture, I'm not a young one. So here's some thoughts and advice from someone who has been around the block a few times. I'll call them my top 10 (providing I have time to post all ten, we're getting ready to head out for a morning breakfast).

You can bank on all of it:

1. Getting older puts you in a world of absolute magic. Do no think that by imagining what it is like to get older, that you have any idea of what it will be like. So thinking about it at 20, really is of no use.

2. You'll find that looks and physical attributes of others' slip down a very long list of importance. You'll value other things, like the person being able to hold a decent conversation . . . and cherish such qualities in others.

3. The women that you find attractive today at 20, you will find even MORE attractive when you, and they, are older: 30, 40, 50, 60 and beyond. Trust me on this.

4. Don't worry about wrinkles. Actually, don't worry about anything. Walk through the world like a breeze, and the fallen leaves will rise up to follow in your path.

5. Take care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally.

6. Smile and have a pleasant greeting for those you meet.

7. Listen and hold interest when people talk to you.

8. If another human being asks something of you, try your best to do it for them. You'd be surprised how it comes back around somewhere down the road when you least expect it to.

Gotta run!

phil06
20-11-08, 13:37
Hi Phil06

Is this a purely new worry or have you always worried about the way you look. You might look in the mirror and see something different and how does it affect your social life. If it really affects you socially then you may have to go to your doctors. I,m not saying you have this but body dysmorphic anxiety can make your appearance look different. I,m not saying this is you at all but if it is affecting your every day life then you need help whatever age you are.

Take Care hun :bighug1:
No not really I look young at the moment I'm 20 but get taken for 18. I know somebody who went depressed turning 30 that's what's made me feel worse. I think it springs off the obsessive negative thoughts I don't know why I get them but I seem to get doses of OCD/anxiety/depression like a cycle.

I use to worry about health issues but now I have learned it's most likely anxiety it bothers me less I now get strange random worries...rather than have I forgot to lock the door (I get it sometimes but not much) it's more worries like this.

The issue with partners getting old is I have seen some older people let themselves go but saying that there's alot of nice older woman that look better than 20 year olds.

I just suffer the whole what If thing alot.

titchjd
20-11-08, 13:47
Hey ....so whats the worst thing about gettin old ?....say u ended up with some old woman who had let herself go .why does that worry u ?.......are looks that important 2 you ..wouldnt you just like 2 meet some 1 and be happy regardless of wrinkles etc ..I just dont get what you worry about m8 ..is it getting old....wrinkles /appearance or endin up with an old wrinkly woman ????

Diane O'Brien
20-11-08, 13:48
Hi, We are getting somewhere now. So its not just looks is it hun it sounds like you've been getting anxious about a lot of things. What If this and that. You said you also suffer from health anxieties as well. I,m not a counsellor or anything so don't take this for granted but it sounds like your getting anxious about a lot of things as well.

Have you been for help with any of this. If you wonna chat send me a PM. :) :)
P.s. Im 37 and still look like a babe Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

titchjd
20-11-08, 13:49
Di ..I look like a babe aswell at 35 .......babe the pig :D xxx

phil06
20-11-08, 13:50
Another thing I wanted to add is I have been on dates with woman my age (20) and they say "getting soo old" "and must be getting old" "remember that" or they joke about wrinkles and stuff and it kind of runs on my mind I know alot of people around 20,21,22 who say getting soo old and kind of make a fuss out of it.

I know some people will look young until about 30 but it's the whole decline thing. I do go for personality and don't want a surgery person but it's just a fear of young woman to grey pensioner I know it sounds silly. Pehaps by the time I'm older I will think nothing of it.

Hi, We are getting somewhere now. So its not just looks is it hun it sounds like you've been getting anxious about a lot of things. What If this and that. You said you also suffer from health anxieties as well. I,m not a counsellor or anything so don't take this for granted but it sounds like your getting anxious about a lot of things as well.

Have you been for help with any of this. If you wonna chat send me a PM. :) :)
P.s. Im 37 and still look like a babe Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that's right I'm anxious about alot of things and alot of stupid things I know it's daft but when I'm in anxious mode it can send me in a bad mood to think about it, can make me worry, act all funny and in my head the thing that worries me is 110% real and the subject will probably make me think my life is over as it's the worst thing ever. Once the panic thoughts go they stay in my mind I think "I had this thought, why have I had it? because I had it that must mean it's part of me" or "This is going to be me in the future due to this thought" or the thoughts spin round until I start to think this is me..and I say no it's not.

I don't know why I feel this way it started off with panic attacks, then depression then thoughts and it's been thoughts for a year and a half roughly.

One reason i'd like to get over them is I said alot of not nice horrible thoughts to my ex which never helped even though it was the anxiety talking. The worst thing right now is OCD of cleaning/smells/HOCD and a slightly worry of going depressed again.

I have released the best way to overcome it is to take my mind off it so I want to start driving and I have my work to keep me busy.

phil06
19-10-10, 02:14
Just wanted to discuss his even thoigh I posted it two years ago. I still have an insecurity about getting old mayeb I need to discuss it with a counsonneller? I just turned 22 but almost keep having mini mid life crises until I'm 30. :blush:

I keep going over it and over it and came to a conclusion there's little positive about being older. On my birthday a few people said are you going grey or bald yet. I'm not but some people are.

I don't know why I feel this way. Just the word age = sooo depressing. I don't know if I feel past it maybe I do but I certainly fear it's all downhill getting older..yes I can enjoy myself but what if not as much as my early 20's? I don't know if anybody can help me really I do however worry alot more than other people I guess..I also fear others being old too..part of my thinking is when you are 16 you can't wait to be 17 (to learn to drive), 18, even 21 but you don't past 20 really? Yes I'm still young..but I keep saying..well not as young as I was..

I fear it may be coming off me feeling depressed. I just can't see positive in it even writing this post makes me feel rotten. Am I just one of these people that hates getting old? Another insecurity was I was so use to people being older than me but like say I went back to college I'd be the old one. I felt so mature at 18 though but feel a grumpy old man at my age now! :ohmy:

daybyday
19-10-10, 02:19
I am 55 and each wrinkle and line means I have smiled and frowned through life. We don't want to look like the commercials where people look plastic. Not a line anywhere. Rather creepy to me.

looking4answers
19-10-10, 04:22
20 again... my my.. what it would be like to be 20 again. Enjoy while you can. Anxiety sucks and can make you crazy.. but im 56 can tell you let it go while you are 20 and quit worrying about getting older..Im dealing with 56 and have been dealing with that.. Tell me thats a shock to look in the mirror and realize you aren't 20.. lol Because you never feel older inside.. weird but true.I saw your post and started thinking about a sign in my doctors office that said.. DON"T BE SO QUICK TO COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING OLDER..JUST THINK OF THOSE THAT NEVER HAD THE PRIVILEGE. Michael

phil06
03-02-11, 01:45
Since I posted about 4 months ago it's still been on my mind. Some people say age is just a number and you are only as old as you feel..but to me it just seems significant. Some also say you get to an age where you don't care what people think?

Not so much about me being old but like I think about others being old. An example today when I was out I calculated what age I was since I was last there. Also going bald will depreses me and I calculate everyboys age too and work out what age I will be. And if I'm single at 30 that could be quite hard to cope with.

I've spoke to my counsellor about this. I never worried as much in my teens but for two years I hit this block that 20 you stop growing up and get old. I keep thinking about it in a concernig way daily. Really I need to change that thinking pattern. At 16, 17, 18 it's fun growing up but I realise you wishing to be like 18 now each birthdays another year older. Can't see the fun in becoming old maybe I lack maturity in that sense?

Anybody else been in a situation where age bothers then alot. :huh:

blueangel
03-02-11, 09:11
Yes, but you're doing this at least 20 years before you should be. You've only been technically an adult for two years, Phil. Now, if "getting old" = being an adult, then sooner or later you're just going to have to adjust to the fact of it, as there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. To be honest, for the huge majority of the population, adulthood is when you do things, achieve things and develop into a "complete" person - we simply don't have the experience and insight to do this when we are children or adolescents (even though we might think we know it all).

It's an impractical worry - we can all worry about getting older (and most of us do at some point), but we can't change it. Sure, I've worried about my age, but I'm 51 now and a lot further down the road of life than you are. We are all living longer though - it's not unrealistic that you could still be here in 60, 70 or even 80 years from now. I won't be unless there are miracles in medical science over the next 20 years.

Magic
03-02-11, 13:14
Hello Phil, Whats going on with your age.Its getting to obsessive. I presume you are an active man with no disabilities. So what if you don't get married in the near future.A bloke acrooss the road just got married for the first time last year.He has wrinkles, Going bald and is 65years old.What you need is a good personality.Looks don't come into it.:ohmy:
please stop worrying about it.Life is what you make it XX:yesyes:

PoppyC
03-02-11, 13:57
Hi ~
Nellie's post is a good one!
There is nothing so ageing as stress, so try to stop stressing - she says!!! :winks:
I would love to be 20 again!!!!! You have your whole life ahead. Don't spend your young years stressing!
About helping to prevent the signs of ageing you can start now at an early age by having a good skincare regime, using moisturisers for men, by eating healthily, drinking lots of water, getting exercise,no smoking and all the rest.
Is it because you don't think you have achieved or ? You are young still.
You can still do the things you want, without old age ever being an issue, if you keep your outlook young and obviously if you are in good health. My sister, in America, who is in her 50's and looks in her 20's, has an amazing lifestyle, because she gets out there and does all kinds of stuff, and never lets age get in the way. She has a really youthful attitude and that helps a lot I think. She has had lots of facial surgery, and botox too :winks:
I remember reaching 30 and I was so depressed by it because it was one of those milestone birthdays. Once it has gone, you will relax again.
Think of all the things you want to do and aim for doing them.
I used to dread ageing, especially physically, because I am so vain , but it doesnt have to be all gloom and doom, because these days people are doing all sorts despite being 'old'.
:hugs:

looking4answers
13-08-11, 05:29
This hread is funny.It seem that all the 50 over came out in a hurry here....lol even some that wasnt 50 hahah

Phill2
14-08-11, 04:52
Somehow I think Phil06 is taking the p**s out of another post on the same subject.

looking4answers
14-08-11, 05:01
lol....this was an old post I brought back to life....not sure what you mean but ok:)

phil06
26-08-12, 02:38
Sorry to bring this up again but I reckon since 20 I had a sort of mini mid life crisis..I just feel so old all the time and your 20's goes so fast.

It's the pressure of settling down that worries me, yes some people settle later but I don't want to be one of them.

I am vein and worry about looks but I fear just having a "job" not a career..I find it hard to appreciate what I have (as its hard to get a job these days) and saying well I have to push further for success..doing that stresses me but I feel sad in the same job for too long.

So I've not really found a solution to feeling old yet. :blush: