PDA

View Full Version : What is your first symptom of oncoming anx/panic

Yvonne
31-10-08, 19:32
Hi All

Just read an interesting post in the "Tips" section, it was about thinking of a lemon to alleviate dry mouth. It was interesting and it was the writer's hypnotherapist (sorry can't remember the writer of this post) who told her to think of a lemon, cutting a lemon etc - this would create saliva in the mouth - hence helping the symptom of dry mouth which a lot of people get as a pre cursar to feeling anxious. Good stuff.

However, my pre-cursar, or "warning" of oncoming anx feelings is the jolt in the stomach, or the sinking of the stomach, its horrible. In one of Claire Weekes' books there is a chapter where she talks about telling one of her patients to "Stop squeezing that Lemon" (Lemons again --- completely unconnected to above story about lemons) - the patient described to Claire this feeling I get this horrible sharp like shock feeling in the gut. I think you will all know the thing I'm talking about.

What would be a good way to stop this horrid sensation. I know for sure thinking of a lemon won't do it lol. Anyone any ideas please???

Also, whist on this subject, what is your first warning sign or fear sensation as a pre cursar of oncoming anx??? I would be interested to hear.

Thanks all.

Yvonne

janeybaby25
31-10-08, 19:48
mine is feeling dizzy or getting too warm when I am in somewhere where it isn't warm. Or it can also be a few extra heartbeats, that can set me off too. But to be honest, now I ignore it so I don't get an anxiety attack. x

joy
31-10-08, 20:06
Think mine is also the churning of the stomach then an all consuming desire to run but dont know to where!
Sadly i wake most mornings with these feelings and believe me its not a good way to start the day.
Wish i knew how to ignore it.

Joy

Pink Panic
31-10-08, 20:16
Hiya mate

OH gawd where do i begin ? ...... My pre-curser is the feeling that my body is speeded up ...... heart beating out of my chest, all hot and bothered, dizziness etc., etc., which then sets off the worrying, which in turn sets off the physical symptoms and so goes the cycle of fear.
Once my stress response has been triggered it's extremely hard to stop but i'm working on trying to recognize and understand what's keeping these cycles going and trying to break them.

Hope you are ok? Will email you over the w/end for catch up. :hugs:

Love & Hugs.
xxxxxxxxxx

Yvonne
31-10-08, 21:19
Thanks Janey Joy and Di xx

Janey
It's good that you can ignore the heartbeats etc, I personally get very cold.

Joy, I've had that running feeling as well in the past and it is awful. It's because we want to run away from the feelings inside us isn't it - and of course we can't. xxxx

Di,I do get that speeded up body feeling - it's like you have to do everything fast as well. In fact I should be called speedy gonzalez cos I do most things in super quick time!!! Vaccing --- done in a flash, unloading dishwasher - those plates are almost chucked in the cupboard lol ... at speed.

I don't get the racy heart so much now (thank gawd!) and when I do I can manage to ignore that one.

However, as I said in the first post, the initial onset to all these is the sinking in the stomach or the feeling that someone has kicked me in the gut. It's like someone has just given you some dreadful news.

Look forward to hearing from you my little pink perfect person xxx

titchjd
31-10-08, 22:08
Mine is like Janey getting that dizzy feeling and feeling hot ...........as soon as i get these feelings anx hits .I can just be anywhere and all of a sudden I get that giddy feeling and mind races .......I hate being hot aswell feel more comfortable being cold xxxxxxxxxxx

djvtech
01-11-08, 07:31
Depepends. When I am in a situation where I get the anxiety very slowly, my mouth will first get dry. When i get anxiety right away, it's usually the stomach thing or feeling like my whole body is different, hard to explain but it's probably from adrenaline. For panic attacks, when they hit, the first thing I usualy get is feeling like a wall of energy or something slamed into me, probably also adrenaline.

kendo59
01-11-08, 07:39
I feel like it's a sudden rush of adrenaline.
Churning stomach, heart racing, hyperventilating, mouth dry, and feeling tense - all hit within a few seconds.
Typical 'fight or flight' feeling, I guess.
It feels like I'm having an 'out-of-body' experience, like I'm floating about 2ft above/behind myself, watching something bad about to happen.
It can be a struggle to get back in control.

BNCfan
01-11-08, 12:42
My biggest fear is dying, but dizzyness, fear of vomiting, any physical symptom I don't know the reason for or simply an enormous adrenaline surge which seems to come from nowhere. I can be happily sitting watching TV, feeling as relaxed as I ever do, or even asleep and it's as though something has exploded inside me - it has, the demon adrenaline. It can be so stong I can feel as though I'm being literally thrown across the room and before I know it I'm on what I call Planet Panic and once that happens I'm helpless and often find myself stuck there for as many as 48 hours at a time.

pooh
01-11-08, 13:32
The starter for me is butterflies in my stomach that I will either be able to control or will generate more anx leading to a pa

Pooh x

Wenjoy
01-11-08, 13:44
My first symptom is feeling very hot and then breathless and panic breathing and then the panic attack hits hard . Wenjoy x

margaret911
01-11-08, 23:43
My first feeling of panic is a horrible feeling of doom and wherever I am I just feel like running away from whatever situation I am in then it plays on my mind and I feel bad for running away from it.
love Mags xxxxxxx

monika
02-11-08, 00:14
i get an adreniline rush, really. or a stomach pain or chest pain. or dp/dr will trigger a panick attack.

Natural Mystic
02-11-08, 17:48
I hate all the symptoms, may of which you guys share, but yes that heavy butterfly feeling in the tummy and the heavy feeling on the chest. I've had it for the past few days and it's just awful, awful, awful. I've woken up with it and gone to sleep with it. When nervous or feel that something isn't right, in the past it's always gone to my tummy but this year it seems to have taken over

I totally understand the fight or flight thing because you just want to leave your body don't you, get away from it. For the first time this morning I just thought "God I don't want to be here anymore, I can't take this feeling"

Will it ever end? :(

brickwall
02-11-08, 18:04
Mine feel a little bit more weird. I always get a fuzzy/numb feeling in my right arm, usually starting at the hand. It works it's way up my arm and then the other arm starts going. It's only then that I get a twisted tummy.

It always starts on the right hand side though.

Yvonne
02-11-08, 18:50
Great replies

Margaret - yes that feeling of impending doom it's completely awful isn't it.

Natural Mystic -that thought you had this morning. I have had that but thankfully I don't get it now but that is exactly how it makes y ou feel isn't it.

Keep the replies coming in please

WorryWartRussell
21-12-08, 20:45
My fist symptom is usually an external trigger...
The worst and most active for me is actually a word.
The mention or conversation of Eternity makes me dizzy, light headed, and clammy.

Grayw
21-12-08, 22:49
Tightness in the chest and growing chest and stomach,pain ,hot flushes and feel tingly ,ive tried to stick with it now though and not go lie down in a dark room,often it passes over quite soon,although it feels like an eternity.Can be triggered off by anything stress full or a noise.

J_K_0
28-12-08, 00:18
feeling a bit light headed/dizzy/hot/

Dee01
18-06-09, 09:44
I get pins and needles in one of my hands. then i freak out and end up having a full panic attack. I hate it :(

Thumbelina
18-06-09, 15:25
every time it can be a different one.

sometime diarhea
sometimes tiredness
sometimes nausea
sometimes too much thinking
sometimes heartrate
sometimed deprsonalisation
sometimes crying allot
sometimes more often them anything probably breathlessness
soemtimes headacke
sometimes no concentration

Cat80
18-06-09, 16:24
Mine is usually feeling like I am going to be sick which then sends me into a serious panic as I have a phobia of being sick