PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist Visit

twister
03-12-03, 14:29
I just wanted to let you know how I got on with my psychiatrists visit. Well it was at the Priory, which was very posh but also had some very mentally disturbed people there which was a bit intimidating at first.

Anyway, the psychiatrist was really helpful (if a bit odd!)and has reffered me for CBT with one of the leading therapists in the country (he has a CBE!)

He diagnosed me as having GAD, with panic disorder and mild agrophobia.

He basically put my anxiety and panic down to my fear of losing control which makes a lot of sense to me. He says that is why I am afraid of enclosed spaces like tubes because I fear that I will lose control and scream and everyone will be looking at me.

A while ago I wrote on here that I had started hiding knives and scissors in case I hurt myself in the night and he said this is a common OCD sypmtom and is another way of fearing the loss of control.

He said I have to stop fearing and worrying about 'thoughts' and only worry about real things - lol

He also said I'd have to lose my crutches and eventually be able to get on a tube with no water, no valium, no anything[:0][:0] and be happy to sit in a tunnel....

Also he recommended two books which I bought and look very good. They are CBT self help books and might be good for people to do whilst they wait to be referred to a counsellor. They are 'Overcoming Anxiety' by Helen Kennedy, and 'Overcoming Panic' by Derrick Silove.

He also said to me that if I worked at it I could be completely cured of panic but would probably never be completely free of anxiety as that seems to be in my personality.

Overall though it was encouraging and I'd recommend people to be reffered to a psychiatrist/ counsellor if they can, although I know the waiting lists are long in some areas.....

I'd also like to thank everyone on this site for being so helpful, you have been such a support to me:D:D

Emily

Laurie28
03-12-03, 14:36
Excellent new Emily,

Will the appointment take long to come through for the CBT do you know??

Lucky

twister
03-12-03, 14:38
no, hopefully a couple of weeks.

Emily

Lottie32
03-12-03, 15:20
Emily

Good luck with the books! I have tried them and found them to be good.

It sounds like he has given very similar advice to my CBT therapist (although I had to wait over a year on the NHS). My anxiety/panic is also about loosing control, and is mirrored in my life too - I never get blind roaring drunk for example, only a bit tiddly!

My therapist has made me leave my tablets at home. I used to carry them with me "just in case", although I never took them. Now I'm not allowed to take them with me, apart from exceptional circumstances (the Dentist being one of them!!!) The theory behind it was that if I was forced to do something I was capable of and had been doing, but didn't have my "survival kit" to hand, then I would not be able to do it, and end up panicky, not initially because of what I was asked to do, but because the "tools" weren't to hand. It really does make sense if you think about it!

I just wanted to say that although it was really difficult at first, not to carry my kit around, and not to take my charcoal tablets before I left the house, I persevered, and 95% of the time don't even know which of my many bags the little box is in. Now I take it out very infrequently, and rarely take my charcoal tablets as well. So very best of luck with tackling the tube, just stay positive, we know you can do it!

Would be very interesting in how to "stop thinking", it's one of my major problems, and at the minute seems easier said than done!

So glad your appointment went well!

Let us know how your next session develops

Charlie

diana
03-12-03, 15:37
Hiya Em,

Good for you, your appointment went well. Thanks for the information on the books. I will pick them up too. Let us know how the CBT goes for ya, sounds like you are well on your way to recovery. Like Charlie I wonder too how to "STOP THINKING"!!!!it is a big problem of mine also. Even when lying down at night to go to sleep I am "thinking". I "think" to myself whilst "thinking" LOL.... that I must be the most irrational person there is, who in the world is thinking whilst trying to bed down????? Who ever came up with that word???? LOL........ Take care and stay positive, you will do just fine.

Diana xxx

sarap
03-12-03, 17:38
Emily,

Thanks for suggesting the books, I will try to get hold of them soon. Did you refer yourself to the Priory or was it through your doctor?

Sara x

twister
03-12-03, 22:27
it was through my doctor, you can get yourself referred privately through your doctor but it is mega-expensive there, I got it on my work insurance. I'm sure there are plenty of other resources though if you dont have insurance, ask your doctor - if there is a waiting list then the sooner you can get on it the better

Emily

nomorepanic
03-12-03, 22:40
quote:Originally posted by twister

He also said to me that if I worked at it I could be completely cured of panic but would probably never be completely free of anxiety as that seems to be in my personality.

I think I agree with this cos I can be free from panic but never really get free of anxiety. Let's hope he is wrong but I do feel inclined to agree that for some of us, it is a life-sentence!

Good news that you did so well though eh?

Nicola

theresa
03-12-03, 22:56
quote:Originally posted by Scared

Like Charlie I wonder too how to "STOP THINKING"!!!!it is a big problem of mine also. Even when lying down at night to go to sleep I am "thinking". I "think" to myself whilst "thinking" LOL....
Diana xxx

Diana

I know exactly how you feel (I think :)!). I tie myself in knots thinking about my thinking and trying to stop doing it, then I'm thinking about how to 'not think'. This message board is great 'cos I can manage to laugh (a little!) at what I do, once I've written it down on the board or read other people's posts. Advice I was given by someone on these pages was to not try to stop it but to try and put it in the background a bit like a mother can carry on doing things around the house whilst being aware of her toddler at the same time. Not easy but then nothing is when it comes to anxiety!

Theresa

diana
03-12-03, 23:24
Hiya Theresa,

LOL........ I know the thinking is the worst(I Think) :), I agree with you about being able to laugh, until I found these people I did`nt think any of this stuff was laughable. Now I can kind of sit back and laugh at some of the irrational stuff I do. I love to hear of the other peoples experiences too.

Take care,

Diana xxx :)