PDA

View Full Version : I just can't cope with this worry

mary8
02-11-08, 09:20
Hi, I have put a thread here before regarding this but my fear is just getting so bad now that I am beginning to get very depressed.
I have a trapped nerve in my neck which is giving me terrible pain in C5 of my spine which travels to my right shoulder blade and all the way down the outside of my right arm. I have had this for about 4 weeks and am living on pain killers. I have been to a Chiropractor a couple of times and been back to my Doctor 3 times as I am so worried that I have a tumour on my spine. Both have tried to reassure me and have said that they don't suspect anything like that. I know the only total reassurance I will get is an MRI but that would take weeks to get and with each day that goes by and it still doesn't improve I get more and more frightened to the extent now that I have a constant churning in my stomach and don't feel cheerful about anything. I just don't know how to cope.
Has anyone else had a trapped nerve like this which has taken some weeks to recover from? I would be so grateful for some response. Thank you.

LeeBee
02-11-08, 09:38
My mother has suffered from terrible back problems for years, the result of being 5' tall and lifting people much bigger than her in her job as a nurse (35 years).

She has had a trapped nerve, which went on for a long time. She also has discs that have fused. Back problems can be extremely painful and take a very long time to heal. Sometimes they can just be managed rather than cured.

Try to be reassured by the medical professionals who have examined you. They know your fear regarding spinal tumour, and would have examined you with that in mind. You have a trapped nerve... nothing else. You'll look back on this in a few weeks' time after your scan and wonder why you were so worried for so long. Honest :).

Trixie
02-11-08, 10:08
Hi, I have put a thread here before regarding this but my fear is just getting so bad now that I am beginning to get very depressed.
I have a trapped nerve in my neck which is giving me terrible pain in C5 of my spine which travels to my right shoulder blade and all the way down the outside of my right arm. I have had this for about 4 weeks and am living on pain killers. I have been to a Chiropractor a couple of times and been back to my Doctor 3 times as I am so worried that I have a tumour on my spine. Both have tried to reassure me and have said that they don't suspect anything like that. I know the only total reassurance I will get is an MRI but that would take weeks to get and with each day that goes by and it still doesn't improve I get more and more frightened to the extent now that I have a constant churning in my stomach and don't feel cheerful about anything. I just don't know how to cope.
Has anyone else had a trapped nerve like this which has taken some weeks to recover from? I would be so grateful for some response. Thank you.

Look on this site it might help http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070814020118AAWYaOX

As I said to you before things take time. One of my orthopaedic problems is frozen shoulders I have suffered with this for over twenty years despite physio, steroids and in the end manipulation under G.A.

You do not have cancer of the spine so stop worrying about it. You only have a trapped nerve which will get better when it is ready to.:flowers: