PDA

View Full Version : agoraphobic?

dottedllama
03-11-08, 01:28
My wife has finally convinced me to go see my GP regarding what we call my "quirks". After doing a bit of reading on this site I think I may be suffering from agoraphobia and wanted an informed (i.e. "been there done that") opinion.

It started about 4-5 years ago when I finished my second tour of duty in the middle east. I wasn't on the "front lines" but we did come under sporadic enemy morter / rpg fire. I was constantly aware of where I was in relation to the exits of any area, and always running through in my head what to do should something kick off. It hit me really hard when I heard of a camp nearby getting shelled in the night, and a group of soldiers my age were killed in their sleep. I realised that it didn't matter how much I visualised my escape routes, I could still get blown up in my sleep without a chance to fight back. From then on I had major problems sleeping - falling asleep and staying asleep. The smallest noise would wake me up and I had to resort to sleeping with ear plugs in, and now I can't sleep without them.

Once I returned to civilian life I started to notice more quirks. I would get really nervous in large crowds, especially if there wasn't a clear route of escape. I would got so worked up while christmas shopping that I literally turned and bolted out of the shopping centre, leaving my wife to catch up to me once I'd made it outside. From then on I avoided crowded places and do most of my shopping online.

Then we noticed that I started to freak out if I had to go somewhere I wasn't familiar with which began to limit my mobility. If my wife drove I was fine, but I refused to drive anywhere I didn't know well. And god help me if I was stuck in a traffic jam - all the cars blocking my exit would nearly kill me. I had to be on the lane next to the shoulder so I could at least tell myself that I could drive off into a field should it get that bad. (luckily it never has).

Eventually my wife bought me a sat nav unit which is invaluable, and I can now drive to MK and other nearby places that I couldn't before.

The reason I'm finally going to see a GP is because it's starting to affect my work. I work in a very secure environment with very confindential systems. This means that in order to get into my office I have to go through several heavy doors and eventually through an "air lock" system - I have to be admitted through a door into a tiny room, and the second door will only open once the first door closes. Once the second door opens I am in my office, and save for the fire escape system I am completely blocked from the exits. And if someone tries to enter the air lock with me I nearly lose it - sweaty palms, panic feeling in my chest, heart pounding, the almost inescapable urge to just leg it - it's not pretty. But I love my job and I have to get this sorted before my colleagues start to notice. Also my wife says that I get very irratable whenever my quirks limit me, which is a bit of a strain for her as well.

So what do you think, am I crazy or what? :-)

ElizabethJane
03-11-08, 07:46
I dont think you are crazy. You might be suffering from PTSD post traumatic stress disorder but I'm certainly no expert. You are responding to an extremely pressurised job and that would cause stress in most people. I hope you get on well at the doctors.

Wenjoy
03-11-08, 09:33
I agree with the other posts- I think a typical symptom of agorophobia is looking for exits and having to sit near the door etc etc. and you need to speak to a dr who will probably refer you to counselling. There is nothing to be worried about as so many people have this problem.
Good luck.Wenjoy

LeeBee
03-11-08, 09:41
Can the military help you medically as you appear to be suffering from PTSD as a result of experiences during your service? As others have said, seeking exits and a fear of crowds and enclosed spaces sounds like you may be showing signs of agoraphobia. It sounds like you're basically a self-aware and stable person though, I'm sure you'll get through this with medical support.

bab
03-11-08, 09:48
Hi there - im no expert but from what you are saying it sounds like a common and normal reaction to what you have been through and very much PTSD - I would def speak to your doc or as Lee Bee says someone in the military as im sure this is quite common after service
lots of love

reachersgal
04-11-08, 09:25
Hi,

I agree with the others and am not surprised to hear you are experiencing this after everything you have been through. You are certainly not crazy and I can imagine how your work would be affected. I am sure that you will be able to get over this given time and some help.
I agree that before going to the GP it's better to be informed less chance of getting fobbed off in my experience.

Best Wishes - let us know how you get on.

dottedllama
10-11-08, 02:03
Well folks, I'm sorry to say it, but I chickened out. Temporarily though, I assure you. I ended up staying up all night watching the election and I slept in the next day - by the time I woke up it was too late to call in to the GP. (My GP doesn't let you make appointments really, you have to call at 8am and they will slot you in that day.)

However, I am planning on going this week, as I have 4 days off and plenty of time to do it. I must admit I'm a little nervous, I don't want to get fobbed off but at the same time I'm scared of being seen as some sort of over active hypochondriac.

I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted.

lifeissweet
26-11-08, 16:22
hi

i am an agoraphobic and id say im pretty similar to you and i have all the feelings you describe. altho you have past experience i dont have so maybe as the others say it could be brought on by post-traumatic stress disorder.

i always panic when i feel trapped, and always feel like i need to leave places etc.

by the sounds of the environment you work in, i would be terrified there and you do well to still manage to go, so dont get too down o yourself about it, and from experience id say never let it beat you...i could alwasy say that i never ran out of somewhere etc altho i really wanted to, and one day i did run home and now it find it much harder to go out.

if u go to the docs they will either put you on anti-depressants for anxiety and/or send you for counselling.

take care x

Remus
26-11-08, 16:36
This means that in order to get into my office I have to go through several heavy doors and eventually through an "air lock" system - I have to be admitted through a door into a tiny room, and the second door will only open once the first door closes. Once the second door opens I am in my office, and save for the fire escape system I am completely blocked from the exits. And if someone tries to enter the air lock with me I nearly lose it - sweaty palms, panic feeling in my chest, heart pounding, the almost inescapable urge to just leg it - it's not pretty. But I love my job and I have to get this sorted before my colleagues start to notice. Also my wife says that I get very irratable whenever my quirks limit me, which is a bit of a strain for her as well.

OOOO the names Bond!

my uncle suffered same kind of thing for years, he fought with a "regiment" back in the 60's in Borneo , mostly covertly and extremely dangerous and then in 70's did mercenary and bodyguard work in Tunisia and Saudi

He had freinds killed before his eyes and this haunted him for years, especially in panic type nightmares, finally few years back he saw a shrink and was diagnosed with PTSD, he also sufferred agorophobia on and off

You should see a doc and get refferred, it will help I bet