PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going back to the doctors

redballoons
03-11-08, 08:27
Hi
I have had problems with anxiety for a few years now , mainly feeling not quite here getting dizzy and also panic attacks at least once a day. Over the last couple of years I have got used to it really, I don't go out alone, but I have no need to really other than taking my daughter to school which is only at the end of our street. I have just adapted around the anxiety which I know isn't the best way to deal with it but it just makes the days a bit more bearable. I have also learned to hide when I am anxious so that I can feel like I am about to cry/ faint but still carry on a conversation or still bath my kids etc. But then I will spend the next few hours feeling awful , shaking, crying and just lying in bed or hiding on the couch.
The thing is that I have been to the doctors about four times, the first three told me that I seemed ok because I was not having trouble eating or sleeping and because I manage daily routines ( in fact not doing something in my normal routine I.e not hoovering in the evening makes me go into full blown panic). They just told me to relax. The last time was a female doctor ( only a temp one) who reffered me to a counsellor but that didn't really make any difference because I her main advice was to write down what I feel before I have a panic attack. The panic attacks I can deal with it's the 24 hour lower level anxiety I find so hard.

Anyway it is now about 6 months later, I still can't go our, I still spend the evenings crying, shaking and tired from the effort of just keeping things going in the day and now I am starting to think about odd things, for example I won't take paracetamol or anything because I am worried it will harm me.

I had homestart here after my son was born ( he was premature and they came to help out for a few weeks) but they said after a few weeks I was fine because my house was tidy and never came back

I am really worried because my mum didn't leave the house for 5 years and then died as a result of it ( she had type one diabetes and didn't take medications she was meant to because she wouldn't leave the house to see the doctor) she was only 42 when she died and I am now 25 and noticing that a lot of my behaviour is similar to hers.

Is it worth me going back to the doctors again? I got theimpression last time that there was not much they could do to help, also I am now pregnant which I am thrilled about but I am worried they will start to question my care of my children if I mention the full extent of what is goingon

Sophie

Natural Mystic
03-11-08, 08:33
Hi Sophie,

I feel so much what you are feeling, we are on the same page. If you want to email me please do.

NicolaJayne2000@hotmail.com

leedsmeister
04-11-08, 02:24
you ever think about printing off what you just wrote and giving it to your GP, maybe adding in a few details.
I know that every time ive been in i've have sort of felt normal, like an idiot listing off symptoms that i didnt have at the time. I think its important for your GP to understand if its affecting your life because obviously there ARE ways to help. I haven't taken any yet though either, good luck to us both i say! :)