PDA

View Full Version : throat !!!

gems21
10-06-05, 18:24
Hi all

I am new to this, hope fully you can help.

I have a clicky in my throat when i swallow, really irritating and worrying. Also my throat feels tight like i am being strangled and have feelings that i cants breathe.

Please someone tell me i wont stop breathing and that i will be ok

florence
10-06-05, 18:30
You won't stop breathing.

It's very common to feel your throat tight when anxious , nervous, sad...
I get it quite often..
No matter how uncomfortable it is, its not going to harm you.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

tattybear
10-06-05, 18:31
Hi gems,

You wont stop breathing - its a sign of anxiety. Mine is like this and hightened wihen im anxious. Feels like i cant swollow and my throat is closing up...but the more you worry about it the worse it is (easier said then done).

Please be reassured it is anxiety - try some adversion theraphy and do somthing to take your focus away from it ie watch a dvd read a book etc.

Tatty B xx

gems21
10-06-05, 18:32
hi thanks for this - really irritating though and the clicking what is that about.

Can you not stop breathing if your throat tightens

alexis
10-06-05, 18:33
Hi Gems, my problems started with a throat problem, it felt sticky. Im still breathing and its over a year ago, are you being treated for anxiety, depression or anything.What are your symptoms other than throat, if you read the old posts you will find a lot of similar things, trake care love Alexis,x

seh1980
10-06-05, 18:39
Welcome aboard Gems!! :)

No, you will not stop breathing even though it may feel like it sometimes. When you are anxious, you are actually breathing in more oxygen so you have nothing to worry about..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

mjh74
10-06-05, 19:30
Hi Gems,

I've had the throat thing for 6 months now and have the same clicking as you describe, it's just the muscles tensing in your throat, you definitely won't stop breathing. It's just uncomfortable and you'll most likely find that when you feel a bit more relaxed it's not so bad.

Mark

gems21
10-06-05, 19:52
hi thanks for your replies

just played a game of squash so i cant be short of breathe i hope

i just panic over it thinking i am nt being able to breathe.

nomorepanic
10-06-05, 20:05
Try these posts ...

Tight throat : MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957)

Swallowing/ choking: Hi All (Swallowing / Choking Fear...) (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3239)

What has suddenly changed, feel awful! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3518)

Really frightend of Swallowing, (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3576)

A strange one, anyone else experienced similar?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3741)

Sorry there are so many but they may help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

gems21
11-06-05, 16:54
hi

i really dont think is anxiety related never suffered form it before. Throat feels really tight even worse when i press throat or put chin on chest.

beggining to get really worried about it now thinkin i will stop breathing.

Feels like something is tightening round throat. ALso have this awful clicking in my throat when i swallow

someone help me

nomorepanic
11-06-05, 17:07
I get it too and I am not anxious. Went to docs and he said I could be anxious and not even know it or a bit stressed and not realise.

If you really don't think it is that then go to the docs and they will check it out for you. Best to get it checked out if you are so worried.

You will not stop breathing even though it feels like it.

Not sure what the clicking is in the throat so again mention that to the doc.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

sadie
14-06-05, 09:43
I understand what you mean with funny sensations around the throat area. I too have suffered this over the last couple of weeks, which is a new symptom for me. I did speak to my GP about it and she said is was classic anxiety symptoms as well as Meg advising that too.

My symptoms feel like my throat is blocked and I have this constant need to clar my throat or cough to try and clear it. I also find this throat feeling is linked to tension in my chest as I have felt my chest get tight and sore too. Also, when I take deep breaths I feel a fluttering sensation around my heart region but I dont really feel my heart is racing or whatever. Are these all linked?

I am trying not to think that there is a lung or heart problem. Does anyone understand what I am talking about?

sadie

mjh74
14-06-05, 12:51
These are similar to my symptoms Sadie. My throat tension seem to be linked with other bodily symptoms when I feel anxious and I too get the fluttering in my chest sometimes. I know what it is though and just ignore it now, I wish ignoring the throat thing was that easy though!

Gems21, you say that your throat feels worse when you press it or put your chin on your chest. On bad days for me, I can't even bear to turn my head for the choked feeling I create for myself let alone put my chin on my chest, sometimes when it's been really bad I've not been able to bear wearing a normal t-shirt and have worn a v-neck so my throat doesn't have material near or touching it!

Everytime I swallow today I had a hard bumping/click just above my adams apple when I swallow and I know exactly what it is. The best thing is to try and ignore it which is very much easier said than done!

Hope this helps...

Mark

EmmaJane
14-06-05, 13:02
Hi Gems,

Chances are its anxiety, but if you are worried and cannot seem to get reassurance, then maybe it is best to get it checked with your doctor.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Meg
14-06-05, 14:41
Gems

By all means get it checked out to reassure yourself from your doctor but globus hystericus is a classic anxiety symptom and when you stop focussing on it so much and learn to relax a bit more it will ease.

You will not stop breathing ..

Do read the links Nic posted as they contain tips to help make it easier to manage it as well as many others experiences with a similar issue.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

muscma01
05-11-06, 05:45
I have had a similar problem of this throat clicking. It started 4 months ago and I convinced myself I had throat cancer. I am sort of a cyberchondriac and after reading throat cancer symptoms, which are so vague, I thought for sure I had it. I went to the doctor and checked for cancer, and she told me I was fine. She ran a series of blood tests to put my mind at ease and checked my thyroid. Everything came back fine and it went away once the tests came back ok. Then a month ago the clicking came back and its been bothering me ever since. My g/f's dad is a dentist and I asked him if he knows what it could be and he said that its a pretty weird problem. He thought that maybe something with the hyoid bone was rubbing, or there is a tube of some sort, I don't remember what he said the name of it is, but it runs close to the hyoid bone but sometimes it can get pressure put on it and when you swallow it could pop like your ears do. He didn't know why it didn't happen all the time, but just when I swallow saliva. Its really annoying but as long as its not going to kill me is a relief.

Allie
05-11-06, 20:16
Hi there!

This has been one of the main manifestations of my anxiety. It's extremely common and casued by muscle tension, which you ironically make worse by worrying about it and consequently add fear to fear. No matter how tight you feel your throat getting, you won't stop breathing.
I've had it for 4 years (although it's much better now) and I've not stopped breathing once!

Distraction is good for this, i.e doing anything but worry about your thoughs!) but acceptance of your symptoms is the key. By saying 'OK I feel like crap, but thats to be expected as I'm anxious', you aknowledge you are feeling bad because your anxious, instead of 'I've got a tight throat and I must be suffocating!'
Carry on with what your doing, show utter contempt for panicky feeling and float through.

A ;)

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber