PDA

View Full Version : getting thru panic attacks

Phil H
03-11-08, 11:58
not going to bore you all,had anxiety most of my life (38 y/o male) mainly due to fear of being sick,had food poisoning last year completely undone any work now been major suffering since,feeling sick as soon as i do anything (never actually sick just constant feeling that will not go away and gets worse,being sick wouldnt help its a kinda sea sick type until i get home was forced in a position for 9 hours worst day of my life)...i can say how bad i am because in my dreams at night i do things i couldnt do in real life and guess what i actually start to feel sick in the dreams and then wake up feeling sick!

behaviour therapy actually said they cant help

my doc is very good giving me whatever meds a want but i wont take them too scared of being sick he knows this and is fustrated...took xanax a couple of times and although it helps when i come down off one tablet i feel so bad,i guess its the difference between feeling ok and my normal feel so i would have to take constantly to feel ok,but that scares me...although my doc has said..look you have no life,this maybe your only chance,trouble is i like alcohol at night as this helps me (i cut down to see wether this was making it worse NOPE) he has given me all the anti nausea drugs to try but reading side effects i just am too scared to try them,they will induce a panic attack like when i tried xanax for the first time (until it kicked in)

any suggestions,pretty desperate?...remember for me staying in a situation makes it worse and doesnt go,i am not afraid of how i feel,although i am afraid of vomiting in public,but then so would anyone surely!?Especially when feeling so severe nausea.

Phil H
05-11-08, 18:06
the only post without a reply,so i thought i'd cheer myself up and reply to myself!

amandaj
05-11-08, 18:10
hi im not sure how to answer this and im sorry noone has replied to you , but please dont read side effects on tabs just take them ,i stopped doing that ages ago as i scared myself to death i was going to get everyside effect on the leaflet lol, they may help you /as for the alcohol i know what you mean about it helping but its not the answer really, i am now dependant on it hope you feel better soon
amanda

Duke
05-11-08, 18:44
Sorry Phil, I was getting to it...honest ! A bit new here...but I care for all that...interesting about the sick thing...I need to know more..if you can't talk openly , feel free to PM me...and that goes for all of you...male or female. Lets ALL have a good day folks.

Yvonne
05-11-08, 19:05
Phil

I really do sympathise. I have a similar phobia myself - not going into it now - it's nothing to do with sickness but it's something very hard to stay in a situation with.

Anyway, with all phobias be it dying to wee, feeling like you will faint, etc etc it's all about fear of losing control. As with any phobia the only advice I get from my therapist is to stay with the feeling just see it through, what I fear will not happen. Also, even if it did happen - would it be so bad?? That's what therapist says.

I do understand completely how distressing and impossible it seems to be able to stay with such intense dreadful physical feelings. Standing in a queue with a racing heart and believing that you will have a heart attack is another example of how bad it can be. If I get a racing heart, I actually know I won't have a heart attack - however still can't bear the feeling.

You do need help for sure - have you had any kind of therapy? Regarding the meds, this is another fear you have to overcome. If the tranqs helped you then take them. If side effects of the anti nausea meds is panic attacks that would scare an anxiety sufferer to death of course. However, would those side effects last long? Anti depressants cause worse anxiety during first couple of weeks but then it settles down.

I'm going to pm you. x

Phil H
05-11-08, 19:09
what do you want to know duke?

my doc actually said to me if i was not known to him and i saw him for the first time with my symptoms he said i'd be a medical emergency!I have suffered for so long my mind thinks its normal to feel like this!Another interesting thing is i fully work in reverse to a normal human being,if my bowel movement is normal i know there is something wrong for example!!!I look forward to flu because i actually feel better!

The interesting proof of the reversal thing is that my blood pressure does not go up upon a panic attack i run at around 120/68 with a 58bpm resting pulse......yes i get the fast heartbeat during the night for no reason etc but does not effect pressure...i dont need to excersize my anxiety does it for me lol.

Phil H
05-11-08, 19:14
hi Yvonne i look forward to your pm.

yes i have been to all therapy but as said they cannot help me.

..i cannot stay in any situation,i tried but after 9 hours of feeling so bad i had to give in,wasnt sick but the nausea was unreal until i got home and had a drink!

Duke
05-11-08, 20:41
I suppose it goes without saying that someone has looked inside your ears ? any ear trauma? blows, sinus problems ?

Phil H
05-11-08, 21:15
ears nose throat hospital many years ago for these symptoms..perfect health!

although had one ear cleaned a few months ago due to wax blockage.

sinus probs?????No headache??

..but i get motion sickness on playing video games and i cant watch cam corder footage on tv!!!!..My doc wants me on the Sturgeron but as said too afraid to take it.

Phil H
05-11-08, 21:33
to add....i have to eat feeling like i am going to vomit...i will NOT give up eating regardless!

Natural Mystic
06-11-08, 08:32
Phil, the thing I do want to say is please don't get into that drinking habit. It might help you relax in the short term but it's a depressant, and it won't help with your sleep.

You have enough problems without becoming reliant on booze.

:)

Phil H
06-11-08, 11:07
hi the drinking habit has been here for about 10 years now only at night,you are right about disturbed sleep BUT its the only kinda escape i have a day plus it gives me the appetite for a good meal,if i didnt drink i wouldnt eat very much at all and being constantly feeling ill with no rest that alcohol gives i would be very depressed,i and my doctor think its beneficial to me,although he wants me on xanax as its safer long term plus it should help during the day......i have some descisions to make.

to add i wanted to fight this without taking meds not only because i fear meds but because i feel a wimp for having to rely on them to get through life.

DJ Trace
06-11-08, 12:10
Hi Phil,

I Too Went Through 2 Years Of This Sicky Feeling That wouldnt go away.

It Was A Living Nightmare so i know What you are feeling.

At One point In My Life I dropped In weight To 5 Stone 8Lbs And Was Treated Like I Had An Eating Disorder Which Of Course I didnt.

They Throught I Was Starving Myself when in fact I just couldnt eat because of the nausea.

It Was due to the constant feeling of nausea and no one professionally that is seemed to understand what i was desperatley trying to tell them.

So I Started To Look And Do Research For Myself and thing I found out because my anxiety levels were so high I think it was the constant adrenalin boosts my body would get that made me feel this way.

So I Used to suck on Extra Strong Mints And They helped take the feeling away and when i ate a meal i would go lay down until the sensation eased off.

I dont suffer these syptoms anymore thank goodness and in time im sure yours will pass too.

Just wanted to share I Hope it helps alittle :)

Always Here If Need A Chat.

Have A Great Day Whatever You're Up Too.

Stay Safe and Well.
Love Trace Xx

Natural Mystic
06-11-08, 12:20
hi the drinking habit has been here for about 10 years now only at night,you are right about disturbed sleep BUT its the only kinda escape i have a day plus it gives me the appetite for a good meal,if i didnt drink i wouldnt eat very much at all and being constantly feeling ill with no rest that alcohol gives i would be very depressed,i and my doctor think its beneficial to me,although he wants me on xanax as its safer long term plus it should help during the day......i have some descisions to make.

to add i wanted to fight this without taking meds not only because i fear meds but because i feel a wimp for having to rely on them to get through life.
I do understand, I was drinking a few most nights for months (my anxiety started in january after a skin cancer diagnosis). Last week I threw it down the drain and haven't bought anything since.

I also want to fight this without meds though not because of fear but because if I fight it without then I know I've done it myself. That can only make you stronger.

Natural Mystic
06-11-08, 12:21
How long did you suffer DJ

janeybaby25
06-11-08, 12:31
have you tried what stuff like what women use for morning sickness? sounds mad but it might work, have you tried nibbling on stuff like ginger buscuits when feel sick?

Phil H
06-11-08, 13:19
hi yes i do actually force myself to eat a snack sometimes it works temporaly...the mint thing also can work,it really depends how bad i am feeling...its all in my throat i can feel it there like its touching the gag reflex,but i cough and nothing comes up,although i get the occasional wet burp....i am not going to be sick its just the nausea all the time.

and yes i have all the anti nausea pills but am too scared to try them for fear of side effects...its crazy i know youd have thought one would try anything to rid this feeling,but my mind is too strong in not letting me take them.

thanks for the replies.

betandjon
06-11-08, 14:25
Hi i was feeling suicidal with anxiety and panic a week ago but i am a different person this week.it seems to get some kind of a cure you have to face panic and walk right through it, read my previous thread from today and you will see what i had to put myself through,it,s all about erasing the negatives from your mind and stop constantly thinking about your panic which is feeding your anxiety which in turn is feeding your panic easier said than done i know i have suffered for 25 years Good health to all ---i'm just of to the pub just to show people i am still alive John.58years old

Elaine19825
06-11-08, 17:13
Hi Phil,

I can totally relate this. Fear of vomiting is about no.5 most common phobias and there are a couple of forums set esp for this fear. I didn't find they helped tho - as soon as there was a noro virus outbreak it was all that was discussed and totally fuelled my fear. But it was so reassuring to know that there are many others who have to live with this fear every day and cant eat properly and cant go out and enjoy themseleves/ go to work/ go to shop/ incase they are sick.

I think its been mentioned earlier but it is all about control. We dont wanna loose control of ourselves which is why we fear panic/ sick etc. Does the doc give you any anti nausea tab's? I found they worked really well for me.

Good luck!

E x