PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the Dentist and sad :(

tashbarnes87
03-11-08, 16:14
Hello, i have just got back from the dentist ( was my biggest fear before this lovely health anxiety) i went for a check up in April and was told i have a hole in my tooth but as i am pregnant they would like to wait until the baby is born i was more than happy with this as i hate dental work. Went back today for another check up and she said it was much worse and it requires root canal work i told her i would rather have the tooth taken out but she said no so i burst in to tears and left. I am now freaking out that this tooth decay is going to harm my health, is this possible? i have 10 weeks until the baby is born and i am so scared that its going to eat my gum ( ha that sounds mental) or when they do the xray they will find some thing wrong like cancer. I know this sounds insane but i would really appreciate any comments

xx

RosieXXX
03-11-08, 16:26
Hello tash,
It is amazing isn't it, how this dreadful health anxiety can give us such insane ideas - ideas which we can sometimes see as irrational - but somehow can't convince ourselves otherwise.

The only thing your decayed tooth can do is cause you discomfort, it isn't life threatening, but the sooner treated the better it will be for you, and an easier job for the dentist to perform. Try to be guided by the dentist, and let her decide what the best thing to do would be.

Please don't let that health anxiety make you think all sorts of terrible things - it is nothing more than dental decay - wretched nuisance - but nothing for you to dread.

yanksforever
03-11-08, 16:36
I've had tooth decay. That tooth would started out with a cavity, eventually I got bleeding and swelling in the gum underneath it...and the tooth just began to eventually decay away...it would fall out piece by piece and eventually one day the whole thing fell out.

The worst thing about it was pain and not being able to eat on that side...but I'm still here so yeah...not cancer.

Honey, it's just tooth decay. It's very common. Don't worry about it! Have your little angel baby and then get it taken care of in the future. Don't worry, it can't harm you at all!