PDA

View Full Version : Why are some employers so mean!

honeybee3939
03-11-08, 19:13
Hi

My youngest daughter as a dilema and has been in tears this evening.
Some of you may no she has had panic related problems over the last year or so but shes worked so hard to get back on track. She had applied for lots of jobs but had no success but eventually she got a job at our local Argos as a temporary worker upto xmas.:)
Anyway, a couple of months ago my husband decided to treat her and purchased a ticket for her and himself to attend Queen(the music group:) ) in concert at the Manchester Arena. She was over the moon that her dad had got her a ticket because she just loves them! When she went for the interview at Argos she told them she couldnt work on the 5th November because of the concert and they said it was fine.:) she then again reminded them last week about the concert and they told her they would get some one to do her shift. Tonight she gets a phone call from them saying she has to work because no one will work for her.:ohmy: Which i think is unlikely because they have set on loads of temporary student staff for xmas and the hours she needs covering are only 5pm until 8pm! I think they are been really mean !

So now my daughter has to decide what to do? does she go the concert and tell them to stuff thier job! Or not go to the concert and work !

What would you do?

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Karen
03-11-08, 19:21
Hi Andrea

I'd take it up with them again and remind them that it was agreed when she first started that she would have that time off. I can't believe that they don't have enough staff to cover the hours. There must be lots of temporary staff wanting extra hours in the run up to Christmas.

Failing that has she met any other staff herself that she could approach? Maybe someone would be willing to swap shifts with her or something? I hope she does go to the concert as she has been looking forward to it :hugs:

Karen xx

Jaco45er
03-11-08, 19:46
I have worked for so many lowlife, 2 faced, talentless, feeble weak bosses in my time Honey (which is why I only work for myself now).

I personally would tell them to stuff it and go. Mind you, I am in a right mood today so take Karens' advice 1st ;)

bottleblond
03-11-08, 19:57
Andrea

I think the lass deserves to go to the concert! It will probably do her the world of good and will be a lovely treat for her.

She told her employers that she couldn't work on this date at the interview and they said it was fine, so as far as i am concerned then they are in the wrong.Why should the poor lass punish herself by missing out on the concert when she was so looking forward to it.

Stuff argos i say! :winks:

Love and hugs
Lisa
xxxxx

honeybee3939
03-11-08, 20:11
Thanks Karen, Jaco and Lisa:hugs:

Well just as i had finished typing out this thread my husband returned home from work and was so anoid when i told him,he got straight back in the car to Argos:ohmy: !(he dosnt mess about!)lol

He asked to see the manager but she wasnt there but spoke to the assistant manager and told him they where been very mean especilly as they knew a few weeks in advance that she was going. Her hours should have been 12 while 8pm and she can work upto 5pm!

The assistant manager said he would see what he could sort out. I hope my hubby hasnt made matters worse:whistles: .

She is at work tommo so will see what happens.

Thanks everyone
:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

eeyorelover
03-11-08, 20:24
GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!

Give your hubby a big pat on the back from me Andrea!!

They had plenty of notice and she even let them know before she started about the concert so let the manager or assistant manager work it if they can't get anyone else!!
;)

Tell your daughter I hope she has a FAB time at the concert!
xxx
Sandy

Karen
03-11-08, 20:39
I hope it's all ok Andrea and I hope your daughter enjoys the concert.

Karen xx

pooh
03-11-08, 20:58
Hiya

since your daughter told argos about the required one day holiday at her interview THEY MUST HONOUR IT. Temp or otherwise Argos should know better than to pull that stunt. Tell your daughter to remind them of this or else tell em to shove their job because the truth is they need your daughter more than she needs them ( thats clear with their behaviour towards requesting one day off).

Hope this helps Pooh x

Lynnann
03-11-08, 21:04
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: Big Round of Applause for Andrea's Husband:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Hope your daughter enjoys her concert.

Lynnann

bottleblond
03-11-08, 21:08
Good on your hubbi Andrea! woooooot!

Love Lisa
xxx

honeybee3939
03-11-08, 21:12
Thanks all !:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I think hubby as overdone it.lol hes gone to bed feeling unwell ! Bless him:hugs:

Fingers crossed they will now let her have the time off!:yesyes: .

Andrea
xxxxx

Piglet
03-11-08, 22:01
I think he did the right thing Andy - she gave them plenty of notice and did things the right way, so why should she have to miss out bless her!:yesyes:

I've done a bit of storming on behalf of my piglets in my time too!! Mind you they think I couldn't blow a dandelion head these days lol - whereas I think I'm well ard!!!

:mad: This is me angry - I'm scary arn't I!!!

Piglet :flowers:

kazzie
03-11-08, 22:16
Hope it works out ok in the end:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

titch
03-11-08, 22:23
Let us know what they say hun...xx

honeybee3939
04-11-08, 21:45
Thanks Piglet, Kazzie and Titch

Well she went to work today and the manager said she could finish at 6pm instead of the 5pm which was requested:ohmy: . also gave her a lecture on how thier business comes before concerts in the future!! :mad: It might be a little bit of rush for them both as they have to travel to Manchester and be there before 8pm but my hubby thinks they will get there in time.

Thanks for all your replies
Andrea
xxxx

Karen
04-11-08, 22:00
Hi Andrea

Well I still think they are being very mean over the whole thing but I'm glad she'll be able to go. Hope she enjoys the concert :hugs:

Karen xx

honeybee3939
05-11-08, 10:11
Thanks Karen hun:hugs: .

I begining to wish i was going now i like a bit of queen myself:) . Mind you i will have the house to myself tonight so will be able to get my feet up and relax with a glass of fine vino:) !

Love
Andrea
xxxxx

pinkpiglet
05-11-08, 10:45
BOO TO ARGOS!! I think i might have to do the rest of my christmas shopping elsewhere (I'm not happy with them anyway!)
WELL DONE TO DAD!!! your daughter needs teaching on how to handle arrogant un-educated managers as there are so many of them about. Who better to show her how to handle them than her own dad. Good on him!.
TELL HER TO ENJOY THE CONCERT!!! she deserves a treat for getting over all her troubles & what lovely parents she has for noticing this. She's still a kid and needs a treat for reaching her goals.
lastly.....
A VISIT TO THE JOB CENTRE IS WHAT'S REQUIRED NEXT WEEK!!!!

My current manager and supervisors are sooooooo lovely, they are approachable and flexible, but this hasnt always been the case.It's about time all companies started to employ earthlings instead of aliens.

samc100
05-11-08, 12:12
Blimey - I can not believe they are behaving like this when she actually informed them twice in advance. Next time she writes a letter and asks for them to respond likewise so they can't go changing their minds willynilly.

honeybee3939
05-11-08, 22:36
Thanks Pink and Sam

My daughter has just rang they got there on time and are now maiking there way home.:)

She said the concert was awesome and loved every minute of it:yesyes:

Once again thanks all :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx