PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody take beta blockers for anxiety?

brandontf
04-11-08, 06:48
I'm doing 50 mg of zoloft..been on that for a month now and not seeing much difference. Still relying on xanax at night to sleep.

:(

Jaco45er
04-11-08, 08:00
Hi Brandon

I have them for anxious situations and attacks. They calm you down physically, slow the heart, lower BP but they do not cause any calming affects on the brain as such.

It might be worth going to see your Doc, meds can be a bit of a lottery, trying to find which one will work best for you.

Good luck

Jaco

Natural Mystic
04-11-08, 08:14
Does Xanax work? have awful trouble sleeping

Gem Can't Switch Off
05-11-08, 21:49
I've just been prescribed the same dose today for anxiety and migraine attacks- do you not rate them then??

kendo59
05-11-08, 21:53
Was taking 80mg Propanalol, twice a day.
Can't say I really felt different, although since I've stopped taking them, I feel very irritable & short-tempered.

House fan
05-11-08, 22:00
In my experience Beta Blockers calm things down a bit by slowing the heart rate down, and this has certainly helped reduce my full blown panic attacks. However, I must be honest and say they have not reduced my levels of anxiety, as they affect the heart only and not the brain. They are certainly useful if you have heart anxieties or palpitations, but apart from that, I don't think they will alter your moods much I'm afraid.

Granny Primark
05-11-08, 22:02
Ive been taking beta blockers since I was 29 for high blood pressure.
It was when I was taken off them that I had my first panic attack.

House fan
05-11-08, 22:06
Lynn, was that because you were more aware of your heart, or do you think there was another reason?

Natural Mystic
06-11-08, 09:43
In my experience Beta Blockers calm things down a bit by slowing the heart rate down, and this has certainly helped reduce my full blown panic attacks. However, I must be honest and say they have not reduced my levels of anxiety, as they affect the heart only and not the brain. They are certainly useful if you have heart anxieties or palpitations, but apart from that, I don't think they will alter your moods much I'm afraid.
As you said, they help reduce the level of the attacks, I don't have the full blown ones since I've been on pros. Thats good enough for me :)

DaveThe Snapper
17-11-08, 17:37
I have taken propanalol on and off over the past 5 years. Have just restarted as going through a bad patch. Generally they are pretty useful but still felt rubbish today. Do they need time to accumulate in the system does anyone know? I had taken them in conjunction with mild anti-depressants in the past to combat anxiety/panic attacks.

JohnBliss
18-11-08, 16:50
Hi there
I haven't had a full blown panic attack since i started taking 50 mg of the beta blocker Atenolol last March.They will certainly help with the panic attacks by slowing theheart and blocking the adrenalin. They don't affect the anxiety as such except if they remove the fear of a panic attack this for me is half of the battle.
Best of luck
John