PDA

View Full Version : worried about mum, may have mental illness??

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 15:03
hi
this is prob the total wrong forum to put this, but i thought id give it a try..i suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia myself so have used this site many times and i dont know where else to turn.

i am writing to ask about my mum.

i am very worried about her, i think she may have a mental illness and ive only just realised after googling some stuff. she has alway had "delusions" of how things should be and what people think etc..she is very paranoid and always feels that people are "attacking" her even altho they may be only saying something very simple. she will take a tiny piece of information and blow it out of all proportion. eg. if i were to say to her "could the baby get a bottle at 1pm today" (or whatever) she would accuse me of bullying her and go on about how she is being attacked.
or for instance..i recently asked her about something in my childhood i didnt understand and she said it was a "campaign of terror against her" for me to ask her..and went on about how the middle class attack the working class and the middle class think the working class are criminals (we are all working class, no-one in family is middle, and she was trying to say that casue she working class we think shes a criminal??)..so today after many years of wondering why my mum is like this i am very very worried and dont know what to do.

she is basically normal and then flairs up with these weird ideas etc. she is very quiet, no friends etc, never lets anone close, seems cold and unloving at times.

i vaguely know she had a boyfriend who died before she met my dad, and also that her dad abused her physically so have always put her behaviours down to depression due to this.

please help x

freakedout
04-11-08, 18:21
Hi Laura,

I am sorry you are feeling so worried about your mum. I am not sure really what to suggest. Does your dad notice anything peculiar about her behaviour, or have you got any siblings who agree with you. Maybe you can talk about it with other family members, although it could make things worse for your mum if she thought you were talking about her like that. Hmmmm, err... not really sure what to suggest.

Do you think your mum is getting worse as time passes, or has she always been pretty much the same?

I hope someone else replies to your thread, because maybe someone can offer you some advice. Maybe you could even see or speak to your own doctor for advice, they would surely know what if anything to suggest, although with confidentiality issues it would be awkward.

I wish you well.

Freaky