PDA

View Full Version : do i have ocd??pls help.

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 16:12
hi everyone, ive been on this forum alot for panic attacks and agoraphobia but after reading some stuff on ocd forum i think i may have this?what do u think?

for example..when i was pregnant with my first child, i used to think 'oh no what if its not my boyfriends baby?' what if id had sex with someone else and didnt know or what if i sat on a toilet seat and got preg..things like that, i was honestly sick to my stomach everytime the thought crossed my mind (altho i did know that it def was his baby but i just really worried irrationally about this).
i kept looking at the scan picture to see if i could tell if it looked like him etc and there was no logical reason that it wasnt his as i hadnt slept with anyone else.

i didnt have these thoughts with second baby tho.

but sometimes i do get kind of images in my head like about other people, like sometimes i worry i fancy another woman, or that id harm a child or my husband, like i kind of have images of doing it if that makes sense and these really worry me.

i have also had thoughts of peoples babies dying, of my baby dying and then im paranoid that i actaully do wish their baby would die...which of course i dont nd then i feel terrible guilt and wich i hadnt had the thought.

i hope this doesnt make me sound terrible but i do have these wee glimpses of a terrible thought and it really worried me.

if this is ocd, what is done about it? do i need to be on meds cause i dont want to be, and they are only thoughts surely?? is anyone not on meds and just copes alone??

Rachel W
04-11-08, 16:54
I have had OCD since I can remember, but it came on mostly when I was 17. I am a washer, not obsessed with germs, but with secretions and currently health anxiety. But I also have images and thoughts that I hate, but the more you worry about having them the worse they get.

I used to go to a support group and there were people there that started with it when they were pregnant because the hormones change so much, and then once you start worrying about having the thoughts then they are going to come on worse.

I think the best thing you can do is know that these thoughts are NOT who you are, and are not a reflection of the kind of person you are. If you can do that, then maybe it will be easier to just let the thought pass, and don't worry about having had the thought. Once you get less concerned with them when they DO show up, then they will be less stressful to you, and they will become less frequent. The worse thing that you can do is beat yourself over the thoughts and blame yourself for them. The more anxious you get about them then the worse they can get.

I don't think you need to be on meds as long as you find a way to realise that they are only thoughts and that is all they are and all that they will ever be.

It seems like OCD, but then some people have what they call obsessive tendencies instead, in fact all people have these thoughts sometimes, but let them go.

Try not to let them upset you. If you cannot let them go and you go through times where you are worried about something over and over again, then see if there is a support group that you can go to. Everyone there will completely understand. Also, if you don't want to talk in a group, we are here and we can try to put your mind at rest.

Take Care and God Bless.

Rachel

MartyJD
04-11-08, 16:57
Hi Laura

I myself suffer with OCD it does sound like there is some OCD systoms you have ,but I am not a proffessional healthcare worker and I dont want to say yes or no! I would say you make an appointment with your GP and talk about it, thats what I did and they were great got me all the help i needed.!

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 17:05
hi thanks eveyrone, i have thought i would go to docs about it, but i havent becasue i think they will think 'oh here she comes again' cause ive been a few times recently about panic attacks. i am worried to say ive had thoughts i might harm people..im scared what theyll think, im scared they will think i shouldnt have my children.
the most disurbing thing is when i obsess about how my brain works , how we think et cand i test to see if i can still remember my name and stuff. i also soemtimes wonder when im walking about how our mind makes outr legs go and stop and start all the time to test if its going to work x

i know i wouldnt ever actually carry out the thoughts, but im scared theyll think that..another part of my worrying thoughts i guess.

MartyJD
04-11-08, 17:13
Laura! you should never feel scared to talk with your doctor! I go and see my doctor every 3 weeks to discuss all my problems and she is so helpful, that is what they are there for!

I really suggest you make that step I know its going to be hard but keep saying "I can do it" " I can do it" and it will make you strong enough hopefully to speak out to your GP who will get you all the help you need Please do this as you dont wont things to get out of control! someone always told me "Prevention is better than cure"

Martin

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 17:22
thanks a lot, i will x

MartyJD
04-11-08, 17:25
Please let me know how you on Laura thank you!...

gtrgrl3369
04-11-08, 17:29
I agree about your doctor, that is what they are there for. I also have had OCD for as long as I can remember. You are on the right track with rememembering that them and that is why they hang around so long. Most people have thoughts of death or other people dying and all other kinds of thoughts, but someone with ocd will tear that thought apart until it is all they think about. I used to have the bizarre thoughts but have learned to not let them bother me anymore. I am a washer(germs) and a counter, and a few other things thrown in for fun. Let your mind wander and try and relax when the thoughts come. They will go faster when you dont give them the time they dont deserve. Take care.

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 17:46
thank u have really helped ease my mind, thanks x