PDA

View Full Version : I hate being around people

alan74
11-06-05, 14:29
I have always hated myself for being ugly and generally crap at everything. I know how inferior I am to other people and I have always been a bit of loner. I am very awkward around other people - especially members of the opposite sex and I clam up completely and skulk in the corner getting my beer down my neck as fast as I can to tray and calm my nerves whenever I go out (which isn't often). I hate being so awkward around other people whom I don't know. I know that they won't like me and there is nothing I can say that WILL make them like me. I hate being scared of people.

carlin
11-06-05, 14:41
Hi there mate,
sorry you are feeling so bad right now, i don't know you but, you are not working class scum, nor at your age, are you 'on the shelf' you are depressed and anxious, there's a lot of difference! You mentioned before about your daughter, how old is she?, does she live nearby? So many people on this site will be able to associate with your feelings, and advise you. Have you a sympathetic doctor that maybe you could confide in? I am sorry i have no solid advice at present, but just wanted you to know you are not alone in any of this. take care and please keep in touch.

alan74
11-06-05, 15:08
Yeah I am on the shelf. Thanks for your help though.

seh1980
11-06-05, 16:13
hello there,

You are not inferior to anyone!! You are scared of people because you lack confidence and think that you are inferior, not because you actually are. Do you work at all? Do you have any counselling?

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Karen
11-06-05, 17:50
Hi there

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. It can be really difficult wanting the company of others but being scared of being with people at the same time. I also have social phobia and feel this way myself.

The negative thoughts you have about yourself are simply not true but are due to low self esteem. I realise no one will be able to convince you otherwise, as I have similar problems myself. However, you cannot possible know what other people are thinking about you. The thoughts you have are your own perception of yourself. I am often told off for mind reading and believing that others think the worst of me.

A counsellor would be able to help you with the social anxiety and self esteem issues.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Piglet
12-06-05, 14:53
I would really recommend a cd by Glenn Harrold called 'Self-confidence'. Have a look at the reviews on Amazon and see what you think.

Love Piglet[8D]