PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

haze
05-11-08, 14:13
Do you think smoking makes panic attacks worse, i am thinking of giving up and if it helps ease panic attacks then it will give me more motivation i think

MartyJD
05-11-08, 14:17
Hi Haze, My partner suffers panick attacks and he was smoking while having them it made him smoke more when having them! not good.

He has now stopepd smoking for over a year now and I am so happy!! for him.

he dosent have nearly as many panick attachs as he used to!

Natural Mystic
05-11-08, 14:33
Apparently smoking is a fuel, just like caffeine

I have to give up too but it's a catch 22, think I'll be more stressed if I do.

I will I will I will

haze
05-11-08, 14:37
i think i smoke because i'm bored, having agoraphobia doesn't help because i'm stuck in the house all day

Baby_Doll
05-11-08, 15:22
Yup, smoking definately makes mine so much worse for sure! I was exactly the same as you but my body made me quit really...everytime I sparked up I felt AWFUL...now I very very rarely smoke, I do miss it but I'm so much better without!!

You can do it hun :yesyes: Check out the thread about 'e-cigarettes' that's in the Misc. section somewhere, I think that would perhaps be something to look into...they're a fantastic idea! Just like smoking but without all those nasties in (just the nicotene) it has different strength cartridges so you can slow down to a stop over time :)

Let me know how you get on!!

xxx

DJ Trace
05-11-08, 15:25
Hi Everyone,

I am also like you haze a fellow agoraphobic.

I tried about a month ago but made my attacks worse as i have found over the years any change in my routines causes me more harm than good.

But I Must Say when i have a panic attack (when its at its peak) I can't smoke until it eases off a little as it makes my heart race to much.

Have A Good Day.
Love Trace Xx

Duke
05-11-08, 15:38
yep, smoking...definately doesn't help my chest during an attack, feels tight enough as it is...I don't think I smoke too much...but I guess any smoking is too much...same as drinking alcohol I suppose...probably do too much of that as well...not massive usually, more like a drip feed...lol. I often think about it all...and I put most of it down to boredom...when I'm occupied or on a mission of some kind, I don't even think about either....but as soon as I stop keeping my brain occupied, well ...and I seem to have a habit of punctuating success with a celebratory smoke..and then drink..no matter how small or indeed big. Must be a psychological thing.....although quite where 'pleased with result' turned into 'have a smoke/drink', I'm not sure.

Yvonne
05-11-08, 17:14
Baby Doll; e cigarettes? I'll take a look at that as well.

I am smoking too much for sure. I am like a heroin addict with the fags. If there are no ciggies in the house then I panic!!!

I am being pestered all the time by my daughters and my brother to giver it up!!!!!! Of course I'd like to, for one it's so expensive for 2 - it's killing me. I just think without the ciggies I would be much more anxious.

I don't know whether they make the anxiety worse - if I was having a panic it's defo the first thing I would do - light up.

I would love to know if smoking does make anxiety worse because if I had hard evidence that proves it does that would give me enough incentive to try to give up.

It's almost impossible I think to give up smoking when suffering anxiety, the ciggies are like little friends and I did tell my therapist some months ago that I was worried I was smoking so much. At that time I was very bad with anxiety and she said not to even think about it at the moment because anything that gave me some relaxation like sitting down with a ciggie and a coffee was good therapy. Dunno if she would still say that now of course.

Yvonne

Duke
05-11-08, 17:22
Yeah, well I'm the worst, though I don't actually smoke that much (though I smoke roll ups...always have)...anyway...what I found is that if there was just some way I could replace that habit with something else to do...then it would work...but only for a few hours...after all, can't be on a treadmill ALL day...still, every one less is one less I suppose... and they go on about crack...huh...smoking is the real big one...yet it's legal ? I gave up trying to figure it all out years ago...Cheers Walter Ralleigh...nice one...

Baby_Doll
05-11-08, 17:48
I understand that, I felt the same (was on 60 a day at one point!!)...but eventually my body got the better of me and had enough of 'em! Honestly, my anxiety lessened ten fold as soon as I stopped smoking!! I also cut out caffine as sadly my favourite cups of coffee did the same thing to me as smoking did :( For me the benefits of giving up outweighed the burdens by far...I'd really urge you to at least try kicking it! :yesyes:

Using the e-cigarette thingys also makes it so much easier I've heard...they take a bit of getting used to (My step mums got one) but are a very good replacement :) They still contain the nicotine to 'feed your addiction' lol(which you can reduce over time) but not all the other crap, you 'smoke' it just like a normal cigarette...you even breathe out smoke, well vapour ;) I personally gave up cold turkey, I was fighting it and still smoking despite feeling so bad...buttt my agoraphobia got really bad and I couldnt leave the house to go buy any!lol :doh:

xxx