PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline with bad tummy HELP!

kareuk
05-11-08, 17:22
Hi all

I have just been put on sertraline for generalized anxiety and OCD. I am experiencing bad tummy (not painful but means more frequent toilet stops! :blush: ). Otherwise no other side effects and have been sleeping wonderfully. Just read some posts that it has NOT been known to work for people that have had bad tummies. Has anyone experienced this initial side effect but found it a success after the 2 week period? Worried that I am wasting my time and so desperate for anything to help. Its taken me ages to get the courage to take meds and now want it more than ever to help...

Thanks all, massively appreciated.
x
Ps Also, and i have not drunk any alcohol yet - but does anyone drink on this medication..not crazily but occasionally? And is it ok?

defiance29
05-11-08, 18:50
Hello,
Sorry to hear your having stomach ache, i havent experienced it while ive been on sertraline. But as for alcohol it says your aloud to drink moderately but on weekends sometimes i have far to much to drink and pay for it with really bad anxiety. I'm learning to cut down now tho.

I'm no Doc but I'm sure you'll be able to drink, just experiment and find a level you are comfortable with

Mike x

50cent84
09-11-08, 23:02
hi. i been taking 4 two weeks and not had any effect r side effect. gues we all get effected differantly

tom1
10-11-08, 17:11
Yeah for the first few weeks Zoloft/Sertraline always gives me an upset stomach. It does eventually wear off, so don't worry too much about it.

As for success in 2 weeks, I would say I had some success in the first week of taking the drug. Despite the nasty side-effects, I felt a lot calmer and everything that was stressing me out was a lot more easier for me to deal with.

Oh yeah and I agree witht the alcohol, I had a few glasses of wine last night and I'm paying the price today with my anxiety. Oh well.

JessicaLynn
14-11-08, 16:46
I find that taking it on an empty stomach usually is a bad idea... I have a very sensitive stomach and it makes me really nauseus. Just try to take it before you eat and see if that helps.

I too tried drinking last weekend (for the first time on the meds) and the next day I was a nervous wreck :(

lennons_mammy
14-11-08, 17:43
It does say on the leaflet not to drink alcohol with meds but I think one or two would be ok. I used to binge drink on the weekend when I was on prozac and nothing bad ever happened.
As for the stomach aches if you are concerned about any of the side effects you should discuss them with your doctor.

lisam
09-05-09, 17:07
Hi, im 6 weeks in and when I increased my dose 2 weeks ago to 150mg ive had loads of problems with my stomach! So its totally normal x x x x

lrforge
10-05-09, 02:11
i have been on this for about a month and a 1/2 now. Started at 25 mg then 50 mg since 3 weeks. I haven't noticed that, but as far as alcohol---I do drink almost everynight, just a few to take the edge off but not enough to get drunk. My therapist told me that drinking while taking the meds pretty much reverse the effect of the meds. Alcohol is a depressant and the med is an anti depressant. It prolongs the anxiety but I am just "me" when a have a couple....if I drink to much I have been noticing it the next day. Take care!

mdLc
12-05-09, 04:32
I have been on zoloft for the past 2 weeks and they have been horrible..my anxiety and panic is what wakes me up in the am and the nauseau and bad stomach have been awful..I have lost 14 pounds in the past 2 weeks and drink only water throughout the day..I have noticed though the past 2 days that the nauseau is lightening up but the stomach gurgling is still there. I am currently on 50 mgs but my doc wants me to increase to 100 but I am scared to do it ..what happens if my side affects get worse?

cedlong
22-12-09, 17:22
You must try to eat. Have you tried bananas? I find bananas, Corn Flakes with milk or Snack a Jacks useful when I have no appetite or feel sick.

bubbly
22-12-09, 18:14
hi, im also on sertraline, (second time), been on it 8 months now, last time was on it for 2 and a half years. Yes at first, i had stomach troubles, but it does settle down. i still get it now, if i take it on an empty stomach, or don't eat regularly. also people are on different doses, mine is 100, some are on less, some on more. also every drug affects people differently. try not to worry, if too troublesome see your doctor, but they,ve done me more good than bad. take care x from bubbly :)