PDA

View Full Version : Is this just anxiety?

P. (M)
05-11-08, 20:47
Hi,

Just wanted to ask if people knew much about this feeling I've had for the last few weeks like there's an emptiness in my chest and I worry I'm always about to die or have a heart attack etc. Have tested my blood pressure is normally normal also had an ElekroCardiogram done which was also normal so I think physically there's nothing too bad wrong but I wonder why I think like this all the time (when I sleep is normally my only time off and during the day it tends to have good/bad periods). I used to get the feeling before doing something too strenuous (I had it before an attempted Bunjy jump which I chickened out of because I thought I was going to have a heart attack!) but then it would normally go away after a day or two but these days I've been like this for weeks now.

I also suffer panic attacks sometimes which is stopping my hobbies of travel etc. and making my life recently almost housebound (no more international travel/trips etc.). Have been to my G.P. and then emegency once and have been prescribed Risperidone (an atypical antipsychotic) just to calm me down. It does do this but as a side effect it makes me really depressed so I try to only take it at night before sleep. Also it doesn't help this heart attack anxiety/feeling of emptiness I still feel. Have booked for a second opinion but just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar etc. Have bought some St.John's Wort which helps a little but wanted to ask if maybe an SSRI might be better for my symptoms (Citalopram?)(?)

Any help/info welcome/many thanks,

Pierre

Burnsey
05-11-08, 21:04
Hey there hun

I too suffer anxiety and get a similar feeling of something jumping out of my chest (sounds ridiculous) but i know how u feel. my anxiety has stopped me doing many things but im starting to deal with it- but the bad days make you forget the good days. i take sertraline an SSRI similar to citalopram and i find it helps - even tho i have been taking it for 3 yrs and dont know what id be like without it too scared to try
iv had a bad day today feel down and tired and i hate feeling like that

hope this helps
x

bab
06-11-08, 19:04
Hi guys
I am worried tonight as although i dont have chest pain - my chest feels funny and like pierre says like a wierd emtyness now im panciking about it