PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Breathing.....

Carolinemargaret
05-11-08, 21:33
Hi Guys

And here is the breathing thing again, when i get the feeling that I can't take a deep breath and I am going to stop breathing, I tend to cough a lot and I cough so much that it hurts my throat and then i keep coughing as i think it might help me to breathe.

Does anyone, else have these coughing fits?

Thanks

Caroline

lesleya
08-11-08, 07:20
I so sympathise with you hun because i get the same thing. I end up making myself all lightheaded doing it, which in turn makes me anxious. Its a vicous circle isnt it though. This is my main anxiety problem now, but its one that really freaks me out sometimes.
I hope your feeling better now, take care
Lesley
xxx

anx mum
08-11-08, 09:29
Hi i know how u feel its horrible with me i feel like i cant get a breath so i keep yawning to try and get breath out

lesleya
08-11-08, 20:15
I think the breathing thing is one of the worst symptoms as it can be so scary, I tend to home in on it more when i feel relaxed...silly isnt it, then i start myself off getting anxious again. But i just live with the thought ive overcome it before so i can do it again, and id like to think we all can .
xxx

Vickid
08-11-08, 22:40
Hi hun,
Sorry you're experiencing problems breathing.
I am the same, all day, every poxie day for three weeks. I get dizzy and I am constantly thinking about breathing.
I get nervous and I can't think straight, convincing myself I'm seriously ill.

Anxiety is AWFUL!

Carolinemargaret
08-11-08, 23:11
Thanks for all your replies, it does help to think you are not alone ;-)

It is so annoying isnt it, i also try to be positive and think I have got over it before so I will again.

At the moment I have been putting so much strain on my back and chest from all the coughing and straining to breathe that my back really hurts and I know I am causing it myself, thats the worse thing.

I am sure we will all get over this, we just have to believe it!

I am the same, convincing myself that it is something serious, but then I think it has been there so long it cant be.

I agree it is awful, but we will all get there!

Caroline xx

swirledpeacat
09-11-08, 00:03
Maybe you should get a relaxing massage to help with your back, I find they completely chill me out, so much I fall asleep for the rest of the day!

Hope you feel 100% soon!

Vickid
09-11-08, 02:50
Anyone based in Scotland can ring this number for free, or from a mobile and they are absolutely amazing. They're called "breathing space". They give advice about anxiety and how to breath properly (I know it's hard, believe me, I'm there and I just took a deep breath in and it wasn't a proper inhale!) so I know what it is but these people are so lovely and understanding.
0800 838587

When you take a breath Caroline, try this:

Place your left hand on your chest and your right on your lower stomach. Breath in and out for a few seconds and then define which hand is moving the most. I assume it is your left hand - on your chest, but it shouldn't be - your right hand should be the one moving. Now try this.

Breath for 9, your left hand still on your upper chest beneath your throat and your right hand on your lower stomach, breath in .... count to 9 and breath out slowly... really slow, and close your eyes and imagine your blowing bubble through a bubble blower and do this for 3/4 mins. This should help relax you and when you breath a deep breath, try to breath from your lower stomach, so effectively push your tummy out when you breath.

See how that works.

It's tricky when you're panicky sweetheart, but give it a bash.

xx

eeyorelover
09-11-08, 04:15
Mine was clearly my throat and swallowing. I did it so much that I had a sore throat all the time!!!
But truthfully it's the thoughts that are the problem and not the fact that you can't breathe. Obviously you are breathing but your mind is playing a trick on you to induce anxiety about it!
Do something to take your mind off of it. Once you realize that your breathing is fine when you aren't concentrating on it the fear will gradually subside!
xxx
Sandy

Hi Guys

And here is the breathing thing again, when i get the feeling that I can't take a deep breath and I am going to stop breathing, I tend to cough a lot and I cough so much that it hurts my throat and then i keep coughing as i think it might help me to breathe.

Thanks

Caroline

Carolinemargaret
09-11-08, 22:06
Thanks for advice, I think i will have to book a back massage in and am also trying that breathing technique, it just always seems so complicated when you are convinced you are about to die. Even though i know its not really, its just a habit and a way of doing things that will take time to perfect!!

Panic and anxiety, what a pain they are and I have a big week at work and i know that, that isn't helping either.

Anyway, i am off to bed to read my claire weekes book again

night x

kendo59
09-11-08, 22:18
Hi Guys

Thanks

Caroline

Have you tried sucking a fisherman's friend? :shades: