PDA

View Full Version : There's a thief about!!!

andie73
05-11-08, 22:30
Hi

I've had a stressful few weeks as I know somone at work is stealing. I feel that I should do something as the thefts are taking place from my department, this person works elsewhere in the building. I am the only one who works regularly in this department although there are a few others with keys to my room. Lots of people at work know who is doing this and we are all watching out.

This person is watching me leave work then going into my room and stealing once I've left but while there are still lots of people around noticing him going in and coming out. There is alot of stock going missing!!! My friend challenged him today and he said he was in there checking everything was switched off. It is a plausable excuse, but unnecessary and not a part of his job. However his job gives him access to a master key that opens all the doors in the building and he, and his colleagues do regularly have to open doors for people and go into various rooms throughout the day. He also works after hours, when most staff have gone and at weekends, when he has even more oportunity to steal unnoticed.

I told my boss who isn't based on site that I knew stuff was being taken. It was really hard for me to do and I was shaking and bright red when I was talking to her. It took me ages to calm down.

Since returning home I've had an e mail and then a call from my friend who said he went in again after I left today. She went to the door as he was coming out, and he just told her he was checking things were switched off again.

I had counted most of the stock before I left so I am going to go in tomorrow, on my day off, and chack what has gone missing. My head has been in a spin about this and I don't want to be seen as a snitch. However his stealing put me and other innocent people in the frame and I cannot stand by and let this continue.

I am now prepared to tell my boss who it is that is stealing, as I refused to tell her today saying I didn't know for sure who it was. I did know, but today's call from my friend has confirmed it.

Has anyone else been faced with this? Did it put your anx levels up? Do you think I am doing the right thing or should I be sticking my head in the sand and taking the easy route, pleading ignorance.

eternally optimistic
05-11-08, 22:38
Hi

I havent experienced that situation ever, but it would send my anxiety levels sky high.

I think you just have to go with your gut instinct and if you are totally sure of who you think is involved, then you might feel better about spilling the beans.

Good luck

honeybee3939
05-11-08, 22:45
Hi i Agree with Jay i would say something too, after all its the profits that are going missing and if the comapny dont make profit then its your job at risk !

I rememeber when i worked for B and Q we had a member of staff stealing and i knew who it was, the cheeky sod was filling lawn mower boxes with power tools etc then sending in a mate to buy the lawnmower which was supposed to be in the box ! i told the boss of my suspicion and we caught him in the end !

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

andie73
05-11-08, 22:49
Thanks

This isn't just any old company......It's the NHS. People can't get drugs they need for cancer etc for lack of funds and then some thieving toe rag is filling his bag every time he's on shift.

I'm sooooo angry.

Franz
05-11-08, 23:35
Can you get someone to set up a webcam in your office (making sure it's well hidden of course)? If you had incontrovertible evidence then the whole thing would be over with very quickly.

BNCfan
06-11-08, 08:37
Hi Andrea, if this guy is stealing drugs you have to report it - as you say cancer patients are being deprived of drugs they really need and this guy is getting away with stealing from the NHS and no doubt selling them on. I fully understand you not wanting to be a 'snitch', but if the police or security were informed - there must be some kind of security if you are working with drugs - they could set up a small surveillance camera or other trap and catch the guy red-handed. They had to do this at my work place once and the guy was instantly dismissed. I fully understand how stressful this must be for you, but if you and your colleagues are certain who this guy is, report him. Let us know how things turn out.

joyce1980
06-11-08, 09:39
I used to be a retail manager.

You should record your own log book and have 2 staff memebers do a snap check on your stock and both sign off dates, time and quantities.

You may inform your manager of the suspect but do not discuss your concerns with anyone else as you may ruin your case against him/her.

You will need to be 110% positive that this person is the theif and you will need more evidence than sightings. I wholy agree with the camera, you will need to get permission from your manager, the Hr department and the security department as there could be a problem with filming someone without a warning cctv camera sign.

I hate the legal system.

try not to stress you know you are an honest person and dishonest people ALWAYS slip up in the end, I promis.

Good luck

andie73
06-11-08, 11:27
Hi

Thanks guys. Helen, I didn't explain myself very well, this person isn't stealing drugs, they are just stealing NHS property. I was refering to cancer drugs etc as it is always on the news about the NHS having a funding crisis etc. This person is stealing from a catering department, which may not sound too serious, but there is alot of stuff going missing and this has been happening over a long period of time.

I think the camera idea is a good one, but I also realise there are legal implications about covert cameras.

I have been into work today after being told this person entered the room after I left yesterday and stuff was missing. I have spoken to my manager and implicated the person concerned as I am now 110% sure of what is going on. My manager had had information or suspicions that it was this person and has told me it is in hand.

I am relieved that I brought it to there attention as I have to protect my own job as there is so much stock going missing on a daily basis. I am very stressed about the situation as I feel that I have enough to deal with with my panic attacks. However I am not someone who can turn a blind eye, even if it does affect my anxiety.

The one sad thing about the whole thing for me is that my manager hasn't even thanked me for sticking my neck out, or for giving up my own time to get the evidence I felt I needed before feeling comfortable enough to name names.

DJ Trace
06-11-08, 12:16
Hi Andi,

((((Firstly Big Hugs ))))).

With Out A Doubt Honesty Is Always The Best Policy.

I Hope You Have Patted Yourself On The Back, You Have Done Great.

Stay Safe And Well.
Love Trace Xx

Franz
06-11-08, 12:23
The one sad thing about the whole thing for me is that my manager hasn't even thanked me for sticking my neck out, or for giving up my own time to get the evidence I felt I needed before feeling comfortable enough to name names.
Andie,

I'm sure your manager appreciates it, but I think it would be inappropriate for him/her to thank you before any official investigation has taken place. It is theoretically possible that this person is innocent, and your manager has to bear that in mind.

Good for you for reporting it anyway. I think you did the right thing.

F

andie73
06-11-08, 12:28
Thanks Franz and Tracy

I think you are probably right Franz, my husband said the same thing and he's a retail manager. I'm not looking for a medal or anything lol, it was just soooo hard for me with my anxiety to come forward and stick my neck out. I usually like to just keep my head down. I felt guilty yesterday that this man may lose his job, but when I realised how long this has been happening and how many people have noticed things going missing from other places as well, I felt compelled to act.

Thank you for your replies. I am off now till Monday so I can take time to relax, if my anx will let me!!