PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating....

turtlemoon
11-06-05, 20:15
Hi Everyone

For anyone that's read my posts before, you'll know that I've been getting on pretty well with my whole anxiety thing. However, what isn't getting better (and in actual fact in the last couple of weeks has got worse) is my worrying that there's something seriously wrong with me health wise. Right at the very beginning of all this I went to the doctors, who did all the tests and found nothing seriously wrong, but that doesn't seem to help me stop worrying!
The last couple of weeks I've had a really sore and cracked top lip and a rough, dry feeling tongue. Sometimes it tingles, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, in my hyper state I decided to look up my symptoms on the internet. What a mistake! All I could find was stuff on oral cancer And HIV/AIDS, which freaked me out totally and made me so wound up I was nearly in tears. Then I found stuff on diabetes (something I've been tested for and found NOT to have!) and that got me all worked up again. Today I've been so hyped up about having something 'wrong' with me that I've been having palpitations and hot flushes, something I haven't had for about 2 months! Then because of that my chest started feeling tight, which set off the 'I must be having a heart attack' worries. I haven't had an anxiety attack for nearly 2 months now, but I really don't want them to come back because I'm getting worked up about something that's nothing. I know if I go to the doctors he'll just tell me it's my anxiety (and probably try putting me on meds again, which I don't want!) I suppose what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is, has anyone else felt like this? Like you start thinking you've got one thing wrong with you and end up thinking it's a thousand things?! (The internet really doesn't help here because it's so tempting to go online and look up all your 'symptoms'!) Sorry for waffling on, but I'm feeling really frustrated right now. I'm getting on really well where my anxiety attacks are concerned, but this health thing seems to have taken me over. I've just changed jobs and am wondering if I've done the right thing, so that might have something to do with it I suppose? Like my anixety about my job has manifested itself in me worrying about my health rather than having an actual anxiety attack?!
Any help/comments would be very welcome!
Cheers
Turtle:(

BrandyK
11-06-05, 21:31
Yeah I am like that also. If it is not one thing it is another. I am also concerned about my heart too.. I keep thinking it is going to have a heart attack. and I am only 27!

It seems that I just get over worring about something and feel fine .. then all the sudden i start worrrying about something else and it is sooo confusing. Before i started having panick attacks I didnt worry about nothing health wise now all the sudden i cant stop.

So I guess we are in the same boat. Also don't look up symptoms on the internet it is bad. I do it too, and it gives no answers.

I am sure that you dont have HIV. Unless you are sexually active and dont use proctection. Just try not to worry about anything, and try to stay distracted and trust me it will be hard.

take care,
Brandy

seh1980
11-06-05, 21:41
hi there,

I'm the same. I always think that there's something seriously wrong with me. You need to keep telling yourself that this isn't the case, that you're healthy and there's nothing wrong with you. Wriying it down can often help..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

josiepickle
12-06-05, 07:40
Hi
I really could of written your posting. I could'nt believe it when I saw that you had written about cracked and sore lips!!! Blimey I've had them all week and like you have managed to make them all kinds of weird and wonderful conditions.
For me this is the most frustrating part of panic and anxiety, constantly thinking the worst and making every little twinge or twitch something major.
Try and hold onto the thought that you are ok, and STOP scanning the internet sites on health issues, this has been the hardest thing for me and I am tempted everyday to go on NHS direct, but I know I must continue excepting that I can reassure myself.
Love Jo x

Piglet
12-06-05, 14:48
Hi Turtle

I usually have 3 or 4 really serious medical matters going on at any one time before common sense finally kicks in and I realise I can't possibly have them all and its at this point I decide I actually havent got any of them and have a happy time until I come up with my next batch.

This year I made like a little journal of all my imaginary aliments and the real ones with all their symptoms and the results and when I get too silly I read back on it for reassurance. I added notes in of any doctors advice and any advice I got off here too. this somehow stops me getting things out of perspective if the same symptom comes up again.

Sal x
13-06-05, 16:35
Hi Turtlemoon.....

I could of written your mail myself.
Everything you said is quite commen with anxiety sufferers. I convince myself that I am going to collapse and any minute with some kind of blood clot on my brain.

I am always thinking of how complex the human body is so I therefore think that so many things can go wrong. When I am in quite a rational mood (like now) I can make myself beleive that it is all in my imagination but when I can anxious, all that goes out of the window !!

Its so hard for other people to understand what we feel like at the time as its so abnormal for them but so scary for us.

It does get better..................trust me.

Feel free to PM me anytime as I have had every diesease in history (well in my head anyway)

Sal x

turtlemoon
15-06-05, 22:33
Hi guys

Thanks for the words of encourgement. The last couple of days haven't been too bad - I've taken everyone's advice and have stayed away from the health websites!! I've still got the wierd dry lip and fuzzy tongue, although I'm pretty convinced now that it's all part of the anxiety and not anything serious. It goes away when I'm feeling less anxious but comes back when the anxiety kicks in. I had a pretty rough time this morning as I had really bad stomach ache whilst at work and started to get in a bit of a panic. I did the best thing for me though, which is to leave the room, take a walk (usually to the peace and quiet of a nearby toilet cubicle!!) and just do some steady breathing until it passes. I was able to go back to my office and continue the day as normal, which I was quite proud of. The health worries were still there in the back of my mind, but I was determined not to let them get the better of me!

Anyway, I'm trying to stay as positive as I can and try not to let things get to me too much. It's hard sometimes, especially when I feel like there's no one I can talk to about these feelings without coming across as some sort of wierdo! But then again, that's why I come here - because I know I can talk to like minded people who will try and help me out and make me realise I'm not alone.

Thank you
Turtle

Meg
15-06-05, 22:57
Good for you Turtle ...Well done and Yes I'm sure your dry lip is anxiety related

Meg

nomorepanic
16-06-05, 19:55
Well done on controlling it at work and going back to face it again - you are doing great!

We are always here if you need to post.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"