PDA

View Full Version : Duloxetine questions

ElizabethJane
06-11-08, 18:16
I went to my psychiatrist yesterday who said if I relapse again he will prescribe duloxetine or effexor. I know nothing about duloxetine and I wondered if anyone had any experiences of ths good or bad. Unfortunately I will relapse again but hopefully the effects will be lessened if I know what is going on and can ask for help.

bab
06-11-08, 18:22
Hi Elizabeth

Why do you think you will relapse again my love? duloxetine is also called cymbalta thats about all I know about it - but I think if you search for it in search you will find out about it - lots of love x

ElizabethJane
06-11-08, 22:04
I have severe recurrent depressive disorder. Before my most recent relapse last year I hadn't seen a psychiatrist for three years. I have had severe episodes throughout my adult life. At the moment I live life to the full. I am past thinking that if I do this or that it wont happen again. It always does. Fortunately I now have a brilliant psychiatrist to look after me.

ElizabethJane
06-11-08, 22:04
thanks Bab for caring. That is really lovely.

bab
06-11-08, 22:15
You know what - i think you are brilliant - you have accepted that you get theses relapses and when you are feeling ok you live life to the full - you should be so proud of yourself - i know how debilitating this illness is and I really hope that you find a med that stops these relapses or makes them less severe
lots of love xx

Natural Mystic
07-11-08, 08:20
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine

ElizabethJane
08-11-08, 15:47
Thank you but I have already done this. I wondered if anyone has had experience of taking this drug?

pete69
09-11-08, 14:26
http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21427&name=CYMBALTA

elizabeth i was given this med for social anxiety,had 2 tabs and it didnt agree with me,some swear by it..like all meds we react different.
hope the link helps

pete

Yvonne
09-11-08, 17:18
Elizabeth

What do you want to know? I was on it for a year. It an SNRI same as venlaflaxine. Daily dosage is 60mg - quite a sedative med for me... dunno what I can tell you. Just ask?

Yvonne

You may not relapse again... I think you have a marvellous attitude. You are obviously well at the moment to be living life to the full. Where did you get the marvellous shrink? So Elizabth are you not on any meds at the mo? Just interested mate xxx

ElizabethJane
09-11-08, 20:40
Dear Yvonne I'm on lithium 1,000mg and prothiaden 150mg. I have been on this combo for about ten years at varying strenghts. Most of the time I dont need to worry about my meds. Last year I had a relapse so my pdoc added in mirtazapine. I have spent the rest of this year trying to come off them. I have now succeed. The psych has suggested other drugs such as risperidone as well as going back on the mirtazapine and effexor/venaflaxine or duloxetine. I wanted to keep well informed incase I become ill again. I do trust this doctor but I see him privately and it is'nt cheap. I do have BUPA but my psychiatric cover has run out. Ironic isn't it. I do worry about becoming ill again and if I needed in patient care I would have to go into our local inpatient unit. As you are local to me if you pm me I'll give you his name. He sometimes pops up on the tv.

Yvonne
10-11-08, 11:03
will pm you.

nicgrace
11-11-08, 11:34
HI,

I came off Cymbalta in July this year (only becuase my GP advised it wasnt recommended for someone trying to get pregnant) and I must say that I was fine on it.

I didnt have any side effects and bubbled along nicely.

Obviously it takes weeks to get in your system so if you are thinking you might relapse then its better now then later.

Hope this helps

Nic x

Katie27jt
21-02-09, 00:07
Hi
I was first diagnosed with depression 15 years ago and was put on antidepressants at theage of 13, I have tried pretty much everything and so far (6 weeks) Duloxetine has been the least scary! no horrendous side effects ala Mirtazapine, no thoughts of self harm like with escitalopram, no anxiety like with prozac, just a lifting of mood, a more constant and stable feeling and amuch healthier sleeping pattern!
Good luck and who knows maybe one day there will be an alternative to the drugs
x

tom1
21-02-09, 00:25
I think I've heard of this med, this is an SNRI that is one of the two meds in the group with venlafaxine? if my memory serves me right. I've heard this is better than venlafaxine for when/if you want to come off it later since the half-life is different and there are less withdrawals. Hmm, I might need to look into this for myself! :D