PDA

View Full Version : Social Phobia

KW
06-11-08, 23:21
Hello..

I haven't been on here for a very long time but thought i'd update how I'm getting on if anyone is interested..

I had counselling for six months which finished in June this year. It was the best thing ever and has helped me to move forward in life. I do still suffer with Social Phobia however if there's one bit of advice I can offer anyone who is going through this humiliating phobia...keep going..keep facing everyday challenges. I have challenged myself beyond what I thought were my limits by putting myself in those uncomfortable situations and life has got a lot easier.

I joined a Pilates group a year ago. Something I never dreamed I do. I dreaded it, got so nervous about going to the first session, had all the usual negative thoughts..i was worried we might have to introduce ourselves and I'd end up having a major panic attack, however none of that happened. There was approx 15 people in the room and being new I stood near the instructor. This meant everyone in the room would be looking my way to follow the instructor's moves. I felt sooo self conscious and hated every minute of it. But I went back the next week and continued to attend for just over a year. I was always quiet and felt I didn't fit in really but then I was younger than the others and they had more in common with each other so I told myself 'don't keep beating yourself up!' I hated doing some of the moves as we all faced each other in a big circle but I tell you what...it did me the world of good.. because even though I felt uncomfortable I faced my fear...head on.

I'm now more confident than ever as it's taught me I CAN do these things. It is POSSIBLE to meet new people and do new things.. and why should a phobia stop me?!

Even though i've just given pilates up due to not being able to afford to go I plan to do something else.. I have panic attacks in group situations but guess what my next challenge is... to join a book reading club! Or similar.. I can't wait..bring it on :)

Gem Can't Switch Off
06-11-08, 23:27
Good for you hun, that's so inspiring!! xxx

Anna77
06-11-08, 23:45
Wow you've done so well :) x

That's given me a much needed glimmer of hope - I have social phobia and am near the point of giving up at the mo.

Hope the book club is fun when you find one :)

KW
06-11-08, 23:54
Don't ever give up Lorelai ..don't get me wrong I still struggle but by facing uncomfortable situations things can become easier..maybe challenge yourself to do something next week that you wouldn't normally do? For example i would never speak to anyone whilst getting into a lift.. now I make the effort to..even if only to comment on the day's weather...it's surprising what difference it makes to your confidence by initiating things..just an idea xx

Patty
07-11-08, 11:38
Hi KW,:)

Thanks for the post. I am so pleased to hear that you are getting on so well - That's great news. :yesyes: :yesyes:

I also have social phobia and know how hard it can be to go into a group situation - something I would like to do myself in the near future.

Best wishes & continued success. :bighug1: