PDA

View Full Version : Neck Lump

EmmaJane
07-11-08, 14:27
Hi,

I have looked through previous posts etc. I have a lump on my neck that has been there for years. Im very stressed at the moment, with one thing and another. Could anyone who has/had lumps on there neck tell me, does theres feel like it only surfaces when they turn there neck. Also, it feels like it is on the neck muscle?

Im trying not to panic

EmmaJane
07-11-08, 16:39
:-(

I can feel myself building up into a panic, im constantly touching and feeling. Guess I'll trry some relaxation and try and get my thoughts in prospective

TwilightFlower
07-11-08, 19:16
I don't have a lump on my neck per say but I had a bump on my inner thigh leg since I was five years old. My mother took me to the doctor and they checked it out (it was hard and superficial). Well, we monitored it for years and when I was about eight years old they took me to a surgeon and he checked me out. The first thing he said was that it wasn't cancerous or a tumor or anything like that. He also said I could have it removed if I wanted, since it wasn't cancerous or anything. At the time I was too scared to have it removed, so we didn't. Well, 12 years later (I am 20) I still have it and it hasn't done anything. My recent doctor even checked it out and said I had nothing to worry about and if I wanted it could be removed, but I didn't have to have it done.

So maybe you have the same kind of thing going on. I don't even think about the bump on my leg, and I even forgot about it til my mother mentioned it a few days ago. lol

EmmaJane
07-11-08, 19:25
lol...I get alot of glands at the sides on the bottom of my head at the back. The doctor told me they were stress glands. Im thinking, this is possible the same kind of thing

Thanks for your reply

EmmaJane
07-11-08, 19:34
Sorry to be a pian. Its only prominent, when I move my head certain ways, if it was anything sinistar would it be prominant in angles?

LeeBee
07-11-08, 19:42
I have what I think is a permanently enlarged gland on my neck under my right ear. It feels more or less prominent depending on how I move my head - I guess because the muscles move and it moves with them. Sometimes I worry about it but... I have had it for about 7 years. If it were a tumour or something like that, it would have got bigger at least, and would be causing me some harm by now, surely. I've heard a lot of people say that they have a "shotty" lymph node which is a node that swells up and never goes back to a normal size.

I think if it has been like that for many years then you've probably nothing to worry about, but see your doctor for reassurance if you can't get it out of your head, rather than continue the checking cycle, which will only upset you :).

TwilightFlower
07-11-08, 20:13
Sorry to be a pian. Its only prominent, when I move my head certain ways, if it was anything sinistar would it be prominant in angles?

You're not being a pain at all! I understand your concerns. :)

As far as being prominent goes, I'm no doctor or nurse, but I think it depends on the person. The bump I have isn't really prominent, since mine it's pretty small.

If it hasn't grown or anything like that, I don't think it's anything serious at all. However, if it still worries you, you can always have a doctor you trust take a look at it. That may help put your mind at ease. :)

crunchie01
07-11-08, 20:25
hi

my fella has a lump in his neck and you can feel it when he turns his neck,my mum has one also and my little boy has loads in his neck and he is 11 he has had them since he was born, there are just glands and are pea sized,they are nothing to worry about:yesyes:

rb1978
08-11-08, 16:52
I have a lump on the left hand side of my neck. It almost feels like it could be part of the muscle but it is definitely a lump...I can feel the edges of it and I can tell it is a lump. It is pea-sized. If I look straight ahead I can feel it but if I turn my head to the right (ie away from the lump) it almost feels like it blends into the muscle...though the muscle is slightly fuller at the point where the lump is.

I first discovered it last summer and was in one hell of a state. I decided it was you-know-what and went to the doctor on the verge of tears convinced this was it. She felt it and said it didn't feel like a suspect lump to her and she was happy that it was nothing to worry about. If the Doctors suspect it could be sinister, you will be referred to get it checked out.

I felt relieved. For maybe 2 hours or so and then I was worried again. I genuinely was convinced it was the C Word and I was fiddling with it all the time. Made it very tender through feeling it and then was convinced that was evidence that it was bad, because it was hurting and tender.

I had to learn to leave it alone and believe the Doctor, which was hard. Nearly 18 months on it is still there but it doesn't bother me at all. I don't touch it and if it was anything sinister it wouldn't be exactly the same size and symptomless for 18 months.

Obviously if your's changes markedly you could get it checked out. But it really is possible to have unexplained lumps hanging about, esp in your neck area. So many glands; I'm sure it's nothing serious. Esp if the doctor isn't worried. :)

EmmaJane
14-11-08, 20:40
Thanks all for your replies.

I went to the doc last weekend who sai it was a little lymph node. Possibly due to a cut on my scalp or a sore. Its where the fluid isn;t draining properly. Sore or cuts on your scalp can cause this. I found that really interesting.

Although, this weekend I am now back to worrying as it is still there. i am trying to believe what the doctor said and trying not to poke and prod. Beginning to think the only way I wont poke and prod is by cutting my hands off :-)

rb1978, I let my hubby read your reply, he said sounds like I wrote that. So I totally understand where your coming from and think I will read your post a few more times.

Emma xx

Kimberleyt
25-11-08, 18:28
RB,
I am so glad I have found this forum, I have searched all day and have felt sick inside, eveything is the C word on the internet, it's ridiculous. I have found a lump on left side of my neck, exactly described the same way, feels like a muscle when you turn your head, I have been under a lot of stress, drinking quite a bit and being sick, so hoping this has something to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or proof that lumps canbe stress related and not the C thing. I am too scared to go to the doctors,.

Ellie Ann
26-11-08, 11:30
Another worry I have had over the years! Mine is a tiny egg shaped lump which is more prominant when I put my head on the side. I used to fiddle with it all the time and panic, panic, panic. Then I saw the doctor who told me it was a perfectly normal lymph gland. Good luck!

redballoons
26-11-08, 11:45
I have had a lump in the side of my neck for about 7 years (at least thats when i first noticed it) I have been to the doctors who told me that its nothing to worry abot and in all that time it has not got bigger or changed in anyway so i am thinking it is probably nothing although sometimes i get worried about it! lol.
if i am ill it feels swollen and sore and i was told it was a gland so that would make sense.

sophie

rb1978
06-12-08, 11:43
Hi Emma Jane.....

Just read your post. It is very hard to find a way not to fiddle with something that's worrying you. Esp when it's on your neck...cos that's a very easy place to fiddle about with :-)

One thing I tried to do was limit the amount of time I fiddled about with mine by gradually trying to ween myself off doing it. It wasn't easy but I can't really think of another way to do it to be honest.

Could you maybe try something like agreeing with yourself that you will just touch it twice a day...when you wake up and at lunchtime perhaps. And then gradually bring it down just to touching it when you wake up to make sure nothing's happened during the night (it won't have, honestly.)

Then slowly you could lengthen the time so that you only check it once every two days/once every three days etc

I tried to do this at first and then realised I'd lost count and that it wasn't changing so it didn't need checking.

It's just a thought.

rb1978
06-12-08, 11:56
RB,
I am so glad I have found this forum, I have searched all day and have felt sick inside, eveything is the C word on the internet, it's ridiculous. I have found a lump on left side of my neck, exactly described the same way, feels like a muscle when you turn your head, I have been under a lot of stress, drinking quite a bit and being sick, so hoping this has something to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or proof that lumps canbe stress related and not the C thing. I am too scared to go to the doctors,.

I don't really know of any "proof" as such that a lump is stress related. I don't know if they are even stress related - they could just be something that lots of people have but only certain people (like us lot on this thread :blush: ) spot them and worry ourselves silly whereas others might not even notice them.

Funnily enough, nowadays, I mention it to friends. I mentioned it at work recently when someone else was convinced herself she had got cancer in another part of her body. When I mentioned this neck lump, two people in my office said they had lumps in their neck that they'd had for years and another one had a lump on her scalp (?!) that has been there ages. But they never got worried about them. Wish I knew how to do that.

As for it being the C-Word, I'm not sure what those lumps are like but it sounds as though a few of us have got lumps that feel the same and are in the same place so I think that is a good indication that chances are it is going to be OK. If it was something very serious, I suspect it would grow noticeably.

I know how terrifying it is to go to a Doctor about it. I could hardly tell mine why I'd come because I was in such a state. Looking back now, it really wasn't wise to get myself so worried about seeing her.

bonbee20
27-01-14, 15:19
I have had a lump on my muscle in my neck for a year now! Really annoying